Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was a WCW Special Tournament from MTV Studios but it rained so badly that only the first match (High Voltage Vs Public Enemy) happened and the rest of the show was wrestlers cutting promos about the bands they were representing. And man oh man, I hope the clip of Barry Darsow talking about how much he loves Run DMC is online somewhere. Also MTV promoting Run DMC in early '98? I didn't think their failed comeback album with Third Eye Blind and other then contemporary artists came out until 2000.

Now I'm imagining Smash watching Run DMC perform The WrestleMania Rap at WM V backstage and doing that "OH!" facial expression that he did.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The second show got me into Fear Factory because they played a bunch of songs while the match was happening. It was a battle royal with the likes of Jericho, Kidman, Konnan, and Raven.

Oh god Kid Rock is lead announcer and also the ring announcer. And Raven is color commentator along with Jimmy Hart who seems into Fear Factory. Raven is very fucked up but also in Johnny Polo mode so it's entertaining. BAH GAWD REY MYSTERIO THE MASTER OF THE HURRY CAN RANNA move that loves Pantera.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Jericho talks in his 1st (or maybe it was his 2nd) book about how him and Kid Rock really hit it off at the show, got hammered until 3 AM and are pals to this day.

(yeah, knowing their personal beliefs, those two apes would be buddies...)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kid Rock surprisingly is very energetic and into the product. Jimmy seems very disinterested after the intro, but he's standing close to Kid Rock so I can't blame him. Kid Rock and Raven are doing Jim Ross impressions so no one gives a fuck and it's very entertaining.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kid Rock is definitely at least a casual fan. Jericho talks in another one of his books about sitting in Kid Rock's skybox at WrestleMania XXV and the two of them marking out for Shawn Vs Taker (and Kid Rock being upset about Santina Marella lol).

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah now I wish Kid Rock would've just transitioned to wrestling commentary in the late 90's and deprived everyone of 20 years of bad music. He's not bad in this role.

I haven't seen any of this in like 20 years and it's all coming back. I watched this special like 15 times as a kid. It's so much more energetic than the rest of 1999 WCW. Has a very proto Wrestling Society X feel as well.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Those shows had nothing on when WWE midcarders were on MTV's "Say What? Karaoke" prior to Summerslam '99:

(speaking of Kid Rock)

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
BTW, the above clip wasn't even the best part of the show. That was when Droz did a cover of Livin' La Vida Loca. Sadly can't find video anywhere.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of this in like 20 years and it's all coming back. I watched this special like 15 times as a kid. It's so much more energetic than the rest of 1999 WCW. Has a very proto Wrestling Society X feel as well.

Agreed 1000% . I think that special is direction that WCW should have gone in. I think WCW could have done an updated Rock N Wrestling era for the late ‘90s and done so under the family friendly edict of Time Warner.

They had so many connections with music industry with them being under same umbrella as Warner Music Group and I think they did attempt it by bringing in Master P and KISS. And Idk how to best articulate it but it was one of those cases where they missed it by a little in one sense but just generally missed it by a lot. I think the problem is bringing in the WRONG music superstars and handling them poorly.

I think Kid Rock would have been an awesome pick for WCW to bring in regularly tbh but he probably was too risqué and not a big enough star for ‘99 Bischoff. Bischoff is other problem. He seems like the type of guy who thinks he is way hipper than he actually is (he occasionally tries to talk about hip hop on 83 Weeks lol) and that is the exact worst type of personality to drive a Rock N Wrestling type direction.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Okay you sold me on 83 Weeks cause now I want to hear the real Eazy E spit knowledge.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched a video where Bischoff gave a detailed analysis about Master P's discography so I got what I wanted.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Great American Bash ‘99 episode is good cause he strongly implies someone in Master P’s entourage showed him their gun then kind of backtracks cause he probably doesn’t want whatever is left of the No Limit Soldiers in 2020 to roll up and pop the trunk on him.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with Conrad and Bisch that it's a pretty good idea to bring Master P in 99. "Make Um Say Uh" was still everywhere at that time and he was still very popular. Now Megadeth in 1999, not so great. Especially with "Crush Em" being a song on their worst album by far.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree Master P was not a terrible choice think it was just a bad choice of wrestlers to fill out the stable. Konnan was a good choice but after that...

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BA Brad Armstrong might of worked if if they did some comedic vignettes of Brad campaigning to be a No Limit Soldier or something to get to that point. Instead of just taking Brad Armstrong and putting him in a group like that without any reason or real explanation.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The Master P stuff was so bad that KENDALL WINDHAM was getting cheered over the No Limit guys.

KENDALL. WINDHAM.

Looking back at that era and thinking it was good is like how people look back at the New Generation/Dungeon of Doom and say "this was awesome" and build an entire company around it only to find their audience drop in half over the course of a few months.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow. @Laz calling me out with that last post.

I only agree with the Dungeon of Doom revivalism to the extent that I agree with what Kevin Sullivan himself said about that angle serving the purpose of being dumb and ‘80s WWF lite to get Hogan comfortable with his surroundings which let him to go outside the box with the nWo.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never said any of it was good, I was just saying it's not a completely dumb idea to bring in a multi platinum star that was still relevant. Building a wrestling supergroup around said musician with guys like Brad Armstrong and a green Power Plant dude is a terrible idea. I'm saying there were ways you could salvage a bad idea besides just having Brad Armstrong show up with guys and make them into a quasi DX ripoff. You could take Armstrong's supposed irl sense of humor and turn him into a comedic figure trying to woo Master P to appear like he's cool and hip. I wouldn't have Rey Mysterio in the group at all since he didn't need it. Konnan fits since he can cut promos.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't want to imply that I think execution of No Limit Soldiers angle was good at all. I just think the germ of idea was potentially great.

And I mean, I think it would have been best as a peripheral part of WCW in '99 then a major, mid card angle. Like how cool would it have been if No Limit Soldiers were babyface champ Kevin Nash's entourage?

(Well I think it would've been cool)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jericho leaving killed a lot of potential. He could've done some funny things with Metal vs Rap and interacting with No Limit. The metal singer wasn't a part of his gimmick yet, but he made a bunch of hair metal references and Rockin and Rollin mentions in his promos a bunch.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Master P stuff was so bad that KENDALL WINDHAM was getting cheered over the No Limit guys.

KENDALL. WINDHAM.

Looking back at that era and thinking it was good is like how people look back at the New Generation/Dungeon of Doom and say "this was awesome" and build an entire company around it only to find their audience drop in half over the course of a few months.

Those were counterfeit cheers.

• Haha
Reactions: Laz

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is it a hot take to say if Jericho had stayed in WCW in the Summer of '99 he would have been a World Champion sooner? Cause he would have. Russo is the one who pushed for WWF to sign him. He seems like he would have been deferential enough to the top guys/main event mafia that it could have worked somewhat? Obviously, I think it worked out for him best anyways cause I don't think him staying would've saved WCW from being out by WWF in '01 (and if he stayed in WCW till the end, he wouldn't have gotten a World Title run for a LONG time) but he definitely would have been one of if not the #1 highlight(s) of '99 and on WCW.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen to Jarrett if he jumped while Jericho stayed. Cause even Vince Russo would have to look at 1999 Jericho and 1999 Double J and go with Jericho. I could see Jericho getting turned and getting pushed as one of the top babyfaces as well.

Jericho and Hogan had weirdly good chemistry in 2002 and seemed to like each other, so I wonder what would've happened with 2000 Hogan working with Jericho.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Jericho getting all the spots Benoit did is an interesting idea. Or what would happen when Lance Storm came in, for that matter. I never thought about the options of Jericho hanging around until the end. Legit think he and Sid could've had some great matches.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I wonder if Benoit was more likely to stay with Jericho still there. I figure if Eddie and Malenko wanted to go to WWF, Benoit would still jump though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Jericho stayed, maybe we would be talking about Donald Trump as a WCW hall of famer today.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Benoit would leave anyway if Sullivan got the book, I think. Jericho power playing 1999 WCW is just interesting. He might've gotten kicked in the head instead of Bret, really.