Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The knowledge that Darsow in 2007 was as old as some WWE main eventers were in 2017 is insane

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I WISH I remembered this Stevie Ray-Terry Taylor Funk interaction.

I thought I had a bulletproof knowledge of later WCW but I'm perplexed thinking of why Terry Funk, Stevie Ray, Arn Anderson, and David Flair were all in the same segment.
If I had to guess, I would assume this is in the stretch where Funk was Commissioner in WCW. Arn had the stretches of “looking out” for David in character but this looks like crazy David Flair era. Without looking it up, I would guess after some confrontation, Anderson/Flair were speaking to the Commissioner when Stevie Ray showed up making demands. If I am right and it is the Commissioner era, that was so short that Stevie’s current angle was likely that Harlem Heat 2000 mess with Ahmed Johnson as Big T and Sister Midnight helping Booker.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
As a WWF fan Terry Funk's WCW run made no sense. He couldn't have been more out of place. That in mind, he'd have made more sense being the mystery man than Animal.

Laz

Reaction score
I still think the Harlem Heat 2000 shit of "we own the copyright to the T in Booker T" could've been heel gold if it wasn't reserved for Stevie Ray and Ahmed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Stevie Ray and Clarence Mason (or whatever he was called in WCW) are both great, entertaining talkers. If they had someone in the group who could actually work like say Elix Skipper then the idea could've worked.

Instead we got Ahmed, for my money, one of the more pointless major signings of the Monday Night War. He had the charisma and energy of a slug in his WCW run. Which was really sad considering how much weird charisma he had in '95-'96.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Stevie Ray and Clarence Mason (or whatever he was called in WCW) are both great, entertaining talkers. If they had someone in the group who could actually work like say Elix Skipper then the idea could've worked.

Instead we got Ahmed, for my money, one of the more pointless major signings of the Monday Night War. He had the charisma and energy of a slug in his WCW run. Which was really sad considering how much weird charisma he had in '95-'96.
J. Biggs was Clarence's WCW name.

Laz

Reaction score
Weird take: sign ECW/indie guy Chilly Willy to be "Lil' Chilly T" and let him be what Russo tried to make Stasiak and Palumbo...only with actual charisma.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

It was surprising that he fell off so dramatically in his training. Maybe getting cut from the WWF really messed with his head. He had been an NFL training camp lineman for the Cowboys in the early 90s if the WWF mag is to be believed, so he had true athletic gifts.

JBL played at least one of his last college games with a "broken" leg. He was a fringe NFL prospect and clearly wanted to impress. IIRC the Raiders drafted him late or he signed him as a UFA.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ahmed would have been a top guy in WWE had he not been so injury prone. It's mind-boggling how many major angles involving him had to be called off because he got hurt. Just off the top of my head: the initial feud with Farooq had to be delayed until early '97, he had to relinquish the IC title, he was set to face HBK on Raw for the world title (Goldust replaced him), and finally got a world title program with Undertaker that was dropped because he got hurt in some post match brawl. Yeah, summer of '97 was when the office said "eh fuck it, we gave him too many chances".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even then Ahmed still got limp along until Spring of ‘98, I think. I wonder what he did in the year and a half between his WWF and WCW runs. Besides eat a lot.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ahmed would have been a top guy in WWE had he not been so injury prone. It's mind-boggling how many major angles involving him had to be called off because he got hurt. Just off the top of my head: the initial feud with Farooq had to be delayed until early '97, he had to relinquish the IC title, he was set to face HBK on Raw for the world title (Goldust replaced him), and finally got a world title program with Undertaker that was dropped because he got hurt in some post match brawl. Yeah, summer of '97 was when the office said "eh fuck it, we gave him too many chances".
There was a point in the spring of 1997 where he got hurt, then he returned and sliced his hand open on the ringsteps on Raw. And within weeks blew out his knee during his debut brawl with the Nation in the Gang Warz. IIRC.

I wonder if AEW current booking pattern is Tony Khan trying to recreate Russo's trash from this period. Team Taz/Jake's Squad/The Hardy group/The Elite with crossover to the Bullet Club, and so on. Heels vs Heels vs Tweeners vs Faces.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nothing will ever be as bad as the Gang Warz angle! Idk if WCW even ever did anything as boring, bad and heatless as that.

Laz

Reaction score
Having multiple factions can work just fine (Dragon Gate is literally based on it), but the issue comes from so many factions being just poor copies of one another.

Or featuring Brian Adams.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is funny that Russo almost simultaneously created the best multiple stables feuding angle (Hart Foundation-DX feud which dragged in Nation of Domination and most of WWF) and the worst example of that type of feud (GANG WARZ). But this isn’t the random WWF Bullshit thread.

Laz

Reaction score
I mean, he also was responsible for the Ministry and the Corporation...but also the Union, soooo

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would suspect Neidhart came in as a favor to the newly signed Bulldog.

Scott Norton was supposed to face Sting at Slamboree, but I believe got a case of Jobbingitis and Nailz replaced him.

JYD is a little more strange as this was his first WCW appearance all year (at least wrestling) and he was gone right after until June when he showed up to team with Neidhart again for a TV show.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow. How did I not know Gangrel had a cup of coffee in WCW in '93?

This whole Saturday Night is packed with guys I didn't know were in WCW in '93 (Jim Neidhart! Junkyard Dog! Scott Norton) or barely remembered were in '93 WCW (baby RVD!)
I watched a Saturday Night with one of Gangrel's first appearances in The Blackhearts and Jesse was marking for them on commentary. Gangrel had a try out for WWF or WCW every year from like 92 until he got signed in 98.