Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Kidman and Sandman hanging out could've led to some classic segments. Sandy pouring beer down his throat, Kidman trying to get Sandy to play basketball...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Awkward double dates with Chastity and Torrie Wilson. Could've been something great so of course, WCW ignored the potential!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Hayabusa in later WCW is so wrong, somehow. Like, 1995-97 he's a player and owning the midcard, but at the end he'd be having awesome matches with Bobby Eaton we never knew existed. Even the slightest concept of Hayabusa getting a fat WCW contract long enough to wait out after they go under meaning he might never have broken his neck makes me sad, though.

I wanna be in a world where ECW got built around Hayabusa near the end and a feud with RVD kept them going at least another year, though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hak and Kidman is the best kind of random team. Sandman and Scorpio with Woman worked, no reason why Kidman and Torrie couldn't, especially in clusterfuck era WCW.

This is also very irrelevant but not getting a Bret/Raven match is fucked up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm incredibly bummed we never got a Bret Hart Vs Eddie Guerrero match. It would've rocked even if it only would've made sense logistically in their sad, kind of worn out 1999 versions.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't care how pissed he'd have gotten, but Bret should've just been lumped in with the workhorse guys when it became 100% clear they weren't going to use him as a real top guy. Sorta like DDP was, floating wherever and putting in better work than everyone above him. Bret, Raven, Jericho, and the vanilla midgets rebuilding the TV or US title in 1998-99 would've been a really good use of everyone even if they were at their wits end.

Reactions: Laz

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW did kind of lump Bret Hart in with the workrate guys fairly early though. He got Curt Perfect at Uncensored 1998, which I mean, NOT great but it's not Bischoff's fault that Curt Perfect was no longer up for having great matches (and tbh, he pooped the bed in PPV matches a decent amount even in his prime). Then he wrestled Booker T for the TV Title at BATB 1998.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Curt was so bad. Every time I see him in WCW is like hoping the sad ending of a movie will change no matter how many times I watch it. I liked the first Flair match, though. But the Bret matches just were depressing, especially since they were friends and probably busted as much ass as Curt physically could. But Bret elevating midcarders just by letting them hang is the bare minimum. Could've had a ***+ match with any one of the Filthy Animals if they really wanted.

I really liked Hennig and Windham as a team, though. There weren't enough surly veteran types and as broken as they were they were just right for a team.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I think this is Tatum and not 4x4????
Anyway I am always curious how beefers like this guy didn't get a WWF sniff. Perhaps he was too old to be worth trying to get anything out of in the years of the post ECW/WCW roster bloat?
Another case of if he's white he's going to keep getting chances?
I suppose he must have been pretty bad or WCW would have used him in their lean final days too when they had Big T and what not floating around in a group.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
4x4 actually very briefly was in Harlem Heat 2000 as their bodyguard Kash but I think he got dropped when Russo & Bischoff came back in April 2000.

They actually interview 4x4 pretty extensively in Guy Evans Nitro. I will have to dig it up but I think WCW just released him during one of their many budget cuts in ‘00 and he was happy to go back to the more lucrative world of being a celebrity bodyguard. As a surprise to no one, he said WCW’s locker room was quite racist!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Must've been Heenan's last great moment: selling WCW to NJPW because he's the Brain. I know it got me psyched at the time to see every match on that show, even if I didn't know who most of the Japanese guys were.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Road Warrior Bully with the Smash gear with golf pants, announced from Russia, and just stealing shit with a cackle would've made him a star. Put him with La Parka and he'd be the stuff of legend.

Laz

Reaction score
All I remember is that he was so jaded by working in WCW at the start of their descent that he quit the business entirely. It's a real goddamn shame, too, because he would've been a sizeable draw during those early 00s, working for TNA and ROH with some dates in CZW.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly, is there a worse place to start your career than early '99 WCW?

There's a higher success rate of guys whose first exposure came from '00-'01 WCW cause once you're starting at the bottom, it's hard not to improve but had to have been jarring to have gotten on the roller coaster just as it went off the tracks.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Blitzkrieg invented the SoCal indie style of the early 2000s. There isn't one guy, stylistically, who would've fit more in PWG than him.

Laz

Reaction score
So much so that Jack Evans admits that Blitzkrieg was his inspiration to become a wrestler, and worked early on as Blitzkrieg II.