Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kobe Bryant is dead at the age of 41

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, his final game with him helicoptering out of Staples Center after the "Mamba Out" speech will have even more poignancy (and some eeriness) now.

Staff member
Reaction score
His second act was very likely going to be as a WNBA coach once his daughter got to that point. He liked women’s basketball so much and was passing that on to his daughter, taking her around the country to watch games because she got him back to caring about basketball. And now they’re both dead.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Toronto Raptors purposely took a 24 second violation after winning tipoff, to pay tribute to Kobe.

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1221541875519193089
Edit- It was in San Antonio too. Class move all around.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Just watched the whole thing, incredible tribute. Thanks for sharing, BZ. You could tell Lebron was trying to hold back tears at the end, it’s all good my man. Let it out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Sty Guy Kamala said:
Toronto Raptors purposely took a 24 second violation after winning tipoff, to pay tribute to Kobe.

All class.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We aren't even a month separated from David Stern dying. What a devastating month for the NBA. 2020 is shaping up to be to basketball what 2016 was to music in terms of notable deaths.

I WILL GET MADE FUN OF FOR BRINGING THIS UP

With that being said, I wonder if #8 and/or #24 in one of the Royal Rumbles tonight does some sort of Kobe tribute?

Staff member
Reaction score
They should name the MVP trophy after him and his daughter.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Sty Guy Kamala said:

All games are being started this way today. It's a great tribute to him. And the fans chanting his name when they caught on is amazing.

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that are really bothering me, and making me really upset, but probably the thing sticking with me the most is when I was a kid in Jr. High on the basketball team. Everyone wanted to be Kobe, there were no exceptions. I remember people arguing about wearing his number to the point nobody was allowed to wear it. In practice goofing off shooting Kobe fadeaways. Everyone trying to buy his shoes, to wear his jersey.

Then he keeps playing until I'm 28 years old. The last hero of a childhood, the last guy standing, until he isn't standing. I don't really care what people think of me but this is totally devastating. I have never been and never will be again more upset about a famous person dying than I am right now. It's going to be hard to even turn on a Lakers game again, and of course I will, but it's going to be tough. Kobe Bryant is, was, and always will be the Lakers. He doesn't even get to give his Hall of Fame speech, to coach his daughter, to do any of that stuff. This fucking sucks.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
They should name the MVP trophy after him and his daughter.

I think Finals MVP makes more sense for this.

Anyway, I'm not gonna bring it up cause y'all are gonna get mad at me for mentioning it on the day of his death. But sometime in the next few days somebody should bring it up.

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought liberals were all about innocent until proven guilty and know about how black males are unfairly targeted by the justice system regardless of their status in the world. Especially when an entire department draws up an order for shirts depicting the accused black man being lynched. But I guess not. After the fact, if it did or didn't happen, the guy was a model of how life should be lived. People shouldn't forget that.

Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
I thought liberals were all about innocent until proven guilty and know about how black males are unfairly targeted by the justice system regardless of their status in the world. Especially when an entire department draws up an order for shirts depicting the accused black man being lynched. But I guess not. After the fact, if it did or didn't happen, the guy was a model of how life should be lived. People shouldn't forget that.

Nah, once you make a mistake you should never get a chance to turn it around

Staff member
Reaction score
Brooklyn Zoo said:
Firmino of the 909 said:

Also, his daughter died in the crash. Why should anyone put that grief on his family. Just shut the fuck up if you don't have anything good to say.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Littles1126/status/1221534651497549824?s=19

I'm leaning towards honest mistake on this one, but it still made me laugh.

Staff member
Reaction score
She said it so easily it couldn't have been that much of a mistake.

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7zOpt5A3Nw/?utm_source=ig_embed

lamarodom
Verified
These picture are just the tip of the iceberg of our relationship. He taught me so many things in life that were necessary on and off the court. On the court he taught me how to carve out defenses and how to take my time. How to make winning my ultimate goal. Off the court he taught me to sign my own checks lol. Of course anyone who knows my story knows I’ve suffered a lot of loss but the only loss I can compare this to is when I lost my son. Even though our relationship wasn’t father/son, it was more like him being a teacher and me being his brother. I’m glad I got to be the ying to your yang as far as the locker room was concerned. It was my pleasure. I couldn’t even catch my breath today when I heard this news. I just knew if he was in a helicopter crash he would have been the one to survive. Somehow he would have jumped out and landed on his feet. I’m sitting here thinking about when we would be in practice scrimmaging and you would start the jump ball off with elbowing Sasha in the chest. Like dude it’s 10:30 in the morning lol. You think watching him play was crazy, you gotta think in practice if you scored like 8-9 buckets throughout the practice you had a great practice. I’ve seen him knock off 13-14 in a row in practice!!!! I’m still waiting for the media to come out and say wrong report. No way God took my brother this early. I know I been through my own stuff in life with using drugs and not being good to myself. When I went through that Coma situation if God would have came to me and said we would take me and spare Kobe I would have rather that happened. In honor of my brother I’m up at 4am tomorrow to get to the gym! Gigi gone give you buckets!!!! I love you brother @kobebryant

:'(

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
She said it so easily it couldn't have been that much of a mistake.

I think it's just a horribly accidental mix up of Knicks and Lakers.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I'm so shocked by the news. It's the only thing we were talking about at work. RIP Kobe, his daughter, and the other passengers on the flight.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
My 14-year-old nephew texted me today saying he was really upset over this. Kobe was his favorite player. I'm heartbroken that his hero is gone now.

RIP Kobe and Gianna Bryant.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
Brooklyn Zoo said:
Firmino of the 909 said:

Also, his daughter died in the crash. Why should anyone put that grief on his family. Just shut the fuck up if you don't have anything good to say.

only the biggest pieces of shit do this and they always see themselves as the most "moral" or "good"