Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kobe Bryant Memorial This Month in NBA Thread (February 2020)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We've reached past the halfway point of the season and still a lot of unanswered questions remain. Zion plays his first full month as an NBA player and the NBA continues to try and cope with one of the greatest tragedies in the history of the sport. Plus we'll have the most convoluted All Star Game in the history of the game this month.

Discuss the NBA in February ITT.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Damian Lillard in his past 5 Games: 61, 47, 50, 36, and 48 points while flirting with near triple doubles every game.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Oladipo made his return Wednesday, and while he didn't have great numbers, he sent the game to OT with a 3, where the Pacers ended up winning. The team says he will be on a strict minutes limit and be re-evaluated after the all-star break. I didn't get to see the game, but by all accounts he didn't seem to be tentative at all on the court.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I just hope that people have had enough time to process their grief that we can go back to laughing at how soft and sorry the Timberwolves are. I think Kobe would have wanted it that way.

Staff member
Reaction score
Luke Walton is a terrible coach.

The Blazers also need to get this man Dame some help. They're wasting his entire career while this guy goes out there with one other good scorer and has to carry the team like 2006 Kobe.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Damian Lillard in his past 5 Games: 61, 47, 50, 36, and 48 points while flirting with near triple doubles every game.

51 tonight. 9 three pointers.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsNBA/status/1224096307469377536
Ah. Finally some more Boylen related content. Things are slowly returning back to normal in the NBA.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1224364071526391808
Oh man please make this happen (although I'd really feel terrible for D-Lo, who seemed like he was finally putting his career together last season)

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Sty Guy Kamala said:
Oh man please make this happen (although I'd really feel terrible for D-Lo, who seemed like he was finally putting his career together last season)

Only problem with that idea is that he was a restricted free agent and went to Golden State in a trade. So they'd have to give up money and assets anyway.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why make a play for him now as opposed during the offseason if they have to give up same amount of assets though? It doesn't make any sense.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Sty Guy Kamala said:
Why make a play for him now as opposed during the offseason if they have to give up same amount of assets though? It doesn't make any sense.

They wouldn't give up the same amount of assets, though. No way was anyone topping KD and unprotected draft picks for him.

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we all know why the Knicks couldn't sign any free agent worth a max contract and have to give up assets to get someone. When you have the worst owner in the NBA, the only guy whose basketball decisions compare to Donald Sterling, nobody is willfully coming to play on your team. Shit, Donald Sterling might've been a better owner when it comes to on the court.

Unfortunately for the Knicks, they can only hold players like D'Lo captive for three or four years should they trade for them.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It really is night and day the difference between the Knicks and Rangers. Both have the same owner, but the Rangers have had so much more success than the Knicks. I know Dolan tends to be more hands on with the Knicks, but it still mind boggling how different they are.

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing that sucks is that the NBA can't even force this bum to sell the Knicks because he owns the arena and could kick them out. They're probably doomed until he drops dead.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of incompetent franchises and DeAngelo Russell, I guess the TWolves are out of the running.

Why are The Warriors in a rush to trade D Lo anyway? Didn't he just a sign a contract this off season? Shouldn't they wait to see how he plays with The Splash Brothers first at least?

Staff member
Reaction score
They signed D’Lo just because he was an asset they could move later. He was also the only guy they could sign after Durant chose the Nets.

I don’t think they ever had a real plan to keep him.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Depending on who you read, they aren’t in a rush to trade him either. Teams are asking because they assume his role will diminish when the Splash Brothers are healthy but another report I read is unless the Warriors get a deal too good to pass, they aren’t really looking to trade him until they see what he does next to Steph and to a lesser extent, Klay too. Doesn’t stop teams from calling and putting out info to reporters that they are talking about him.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Big Beard Booty Daddy said:
Sty Guy Kamala said:

Only problem with that idea is that he was a restricted free agent and went to Golden State in a trade. So they'd have to give up money and assets anyway.

Yeah. I generally like Simmons but this is fucking stupid and an unneccesary shot at the NYK. D-Lo to the Knicks was never a thing that was going to happen when he could either get the most $ by agreeing to the S&T, or control his own destiny and likely go to Minnesota to play with his buddy KAT

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steve Mills has been fired as the President of the New York Knicks

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1224739920713068545
https://youtu.be/FdghRwWfaOQ

(sorry Roy and Beard Daddy)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The main deals being talked about at the moment are Luke Kennard to Phoenix and Clint Capela to Atlanta with other teams rumored in the mix.

The latest I saw on Capela was him landing in Atlanta, Robert Covington to Houston and Minnesota getting some draft picks but I can't find the source I saw this morning.

As for Kennard:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1224568046271987712

Additionally, talk about Iguodala's refusal to play in Memphis have come back up. Rumors he may go to Miami but apparently Ja Morant has been shitting on Iggy on Twitter this morning. See when it gets deleted. One of the things the internet is seeming to enjoy is Ja's response to Curry after a Rachel Nichols tweet. Nichols tweeted something about him waiting until next year (which would mean he could be a Warrior again), Steph Curry tweeted a picture of Iggy with the trophy from the first Warriors win and a hushing emoji. Ja repsonded with pictures of KD holding the championship.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
The main deals being talked about at the moment are Luke Kennard to Phoenix and Clint Capela to Atlanta with other teams rumored in the mix.

The latest I saw on Capela was him landing in Atlanta, Robert Covington to Houston and Minnesota getting some draft picks but I can't find the source I saw this morning.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28634277/timberwolves-talks-multiteam-deal-land-dangelo-russell

"The Minnesota Timberwolves are orchestrating multiteam trade discussions with Houston and Atlanta, with hopes of ultimately turning discussions into a four-way deal that brings Golden State guard D'Angelo Russell to Minnesota, league sources tell ESPN.

The Timberwolves, Rockets and Hawks possess the assets to fulfill some of each team's goals: forward Robert Covington to Houston, center Clint Capela to the Hawks and potentially two first-round picks and an expiring contract to Minnesota, league sources said."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I mean, if Atlanta can get Capela without having to give up Collins, I guess. Otherwise, I don't know what they're doing.

Baby Shoes said:
Additionally, talk about Iguodala's refusal to play in Memphis have come back up. Rumors he may go to Miami but apparently Ja Morant has been shitting on Iggy on Twitter this morning. See when it gets deleted. One of the things the internet is seeming to enjoy is Ja's response to Curry after a Rachel Nichols tweet. Nichols tweeted something about him waiting until next year (which would mean he could be a Warrior again), Steph Curry tweeted a picture of Iggy with the trophy from the first Warriors win and a hushing emoji. Ja repsonded with pictures of KD holding the championship.

First of all, I don't know why anybody would be against Iguodala in this, other than the insecure Grizzlies players, and their fragile-assed fans. Memphis never even bothered to assign Iguodala a jersey number: they don't even want him there. They just traded for him to get a first-round pick + a potential expiring. As for Ja Morant's "clapback," maybe it's just me, but I don't think that him posting a picture of Durant holding the trophy is the Big Joker he thinks it is.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Also, regarding Houston's apparent strategy to trade their center and not get back a big man in return... I don't know whether to admire their gumption, or laugh at their stupidity? It's like they said, "Okay, well, we've won two of our last three, without playing a single player over 6'6", so let's go ahead and ride that out for the rest of the regular season, and the playoffs. This strategy will definitely work as well against the lakers and the Clippers as it did against the (checks notes) Luka-less Mavericks, and the Pelicans!"

Bold move, Cotton.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I mean, if Atlanta can get Capela without having to give up Collins, I guess. Otherwise, I don't know what they're doing.

Baby Shoes said:

First of all, I don't know why anybody would be against Iguodala in this, other than the insecure Grizzlies players, and their fragile-assed fans. Memphis never even bothered to assign Iguodala a jersey number: they don't even want him there. They just traded for him to get a first-round pick + a potential expiring. As for Ja Morant's "clapback," maybe it's just me, but I don't think that him posting a picture of Durant holding the trophy is the Big Joker he thinks it is.

That was my thought. I really like Ja but this is the first time he’s looked like a kid, in my opinion.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Also, regarding Houston's apparent strategy to trade their center and not get back a big man in return... I don't know whether to admire their gumption, or laugh at their stupidity? It's like they said, "Okay, well, we've won two of our last three, without playing a single player over 6'6", so let's go ahead and ride that out for the rest of the regular season, and the playoffs. This strategy will definitely work as well against the lakers and the Clippers as it did against the (checks notes) Luka-less Mavericks, and the Pelicans!"

Bold move, Cotton.

Maybe they throw a few more minutes to Tyson Chandler and/or have faith that Isaiah Hartenstein can develop with a bigger minutes load?

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Mills being gone (not really, he's just shuffling roles in Dolan's empire) was overdue. Now Perry has full control officially.

But it being the Knicks of course they go and make a management change 48 hrs from the trade deadline. They can't not not help themselves