Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Oh god. Totally off topic but I remember when MTV got pissed and they had to retire the Bum Bum song from TRL because it was ruining the totally respectable top 10.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRL's_Number_Ones

It's extra funny because when Tom Green rose to the ranks, the same handful of artists/bands were at Number 1 for the entire year TRL was airing to that point. Looking at this list only NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Korn, 98 Degrees, Limp Bizkit, and Britney Spears made it to number 1. Brandy/Monica also got it one week to show how diverse TRL was at the time.

Man why the hell did I watch so much TRL from 1998 to 2003?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRL's_Number_Ones

It's extra funny because when Tom Green rose to the ranks, the same handful of artists/bands were at Number 1 for the entire year TRL was airing to that point. Looking at this list only NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Korn, 98 Degrees, Limp Bizkit, and Britney Spears made it to number 1. Brandy/Monica also got it one week to show how diverse TRL was at the time.

Man why the hell did I watch so much TRL from 1998 to 2003?
If I had to guess it was because it was the lead-in for Global Groove where all them ladies was dancing in their bikinis.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
On Reddit I found this post about it:

Back on Stern's channel 9 show, they used to do a montage of pictures of people that turned down the show, and the reason why.

Plato turned down the channel 9 show. Her reason proved chillingly accurate, and makes Stern & Co.'s abuse of her all the more disgusting.

Also Dana’s son committed suicide.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The channel 9 show is really, really, really bad in all ways. Outside of drugged as fuck Joe Walsh and Sam Kinison butchering "Desperado" just to piss Don Henley off, it's whole run defies logic. Lotta blackface iirc.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had (incorrectly) remembered the Plato Stern interview taking place over the phone but she was in studio. Like I mentioned she killed herself the very next day.

I *think* Stern mentions her death the next show but just sort of brushes it off

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NBC is going to air Peacock's The Amber Ruffin Show on Saturday mornings/Friday nights at 1:35 AM next two weeks as a trial run for permanent Saturday morning/Friday night spot. Lily Singh (and Seth Meyers- whose studio Amber Ruffin show tapes in) are usually off on Fridays.

I always thought it was weird most of the late night talk shows are hosts are rerunned or canned from earlier in the week. Speaking from perspective of a nerd who never went out on weekends. :(

Valeyard

Reaction score
Gonna get a podcast and be the housewife Rogan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon has been renewed for five more years by NBC but Idk how much more America will be able to take after that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I guess Fallon is no longer even 3rd in late night. He's fallen to 4th behind Colbert, Kimmel, and GD Greg Gutfield! I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this was his last contract extension.

Maybe rubbing Donald Trump's hair is bad luck (although it might propel Greg Gutfield's ratings)

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fallon's got major alcoholic face now. Jarring. Almost as much as him not being able to actually be a good interviewer by this point.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His gimmick of masking that inability to interview guests by doing game show bits with guests was severely hampered by covid which has to account as a key reason for his ratings downturn in addition to his whole being Jimmy Fallon thing.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't watch much now but he still does those dumb games even when the celeb is on zoom and not in studio

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fallon's got major alcoholic face now. Jarring. Almost as much as him not being able to actually be a good interviewer by this point.
My buddy Kurt was doing a show at Handsome Dick Manitoba's bar in NYC 3 or 4 years ago and as he was settling up for the night with the bartender, one of the regulars walks in and the bartender was like "Hey Jimmy, do you know Kurt?" and Kurt turns around to see Jimmy Fallon. Then they proceeded to do shots and sing Beatles songs until 5 AM. So yeah.

As ambivalent as I am towards his comedy, he does seem like he could be kind of a fun hang.

Valeyard

Reaction score
His shtick gets worse the older/worse looking he gets. At some point you gotta get good at being a host and not playing a xylophone with Questlove.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Leno got 15 or so of those years out of asking Hugh Grant about a hooker, though. Edgy content. Now that we're probably the same demo Leno's audience was, give or take, it puts the tolerance of bullshit tons of people have in perspective. Like when that hack Carson replaced Parr.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And objectively speaking, Leno is a great joke teller even if he stopped being funny sometime during the first Bush administration. Fallon's just running on fumes at this point.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And objectively speaking, Leno is a great joke teller even if he stopped being funny sometime during the first Bush administration. Fallon's just running on fumes at this point.
Leno also had a fairly good writing team for long time and all respect to Questlove but he was no Kevin Eubanks brother.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always liked how Leno went from having the most contentious host/band leader relationship ever with Branford to having the most kiss as host/band leader relationship (besides maybe Letterman and Paul Shaffer) with Eubanks.

Also even though Letterman was always a better host and interviewer, I think there was a period from late '90s through mid '00s where Leno was the better show. Late '90s/early to mid '00s Letterman always had vibe of your goofy uncle telling you some long winded inside joke that you didn't really get.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone can touch Paul in the ass kisser rankings, he was quite an elite level ass kisser.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. You're right. Paul's got to be on the asskissing Mt. Rushmore with Brutus Beefcake, Regis Philbin, and Ed McMahon.
Stuttering John or Edd Hall?
Stuttering John integrating himself seamlessly into Leno for a few years still seems bizarre. When he got hired, I tuned in foolishly thinking he was going to be some sort of disrupter only to be disappointed.

I did like Stuttering John getting a brief comeback a few years ago, prank calling Trump on Air Force 1.