Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I could actually see Jessica Williams taking over. Her segments seem to be the most popular now that Oliver is gone.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Wonder if John Oliver regrets jumping over to HBO since he was probably the obvious heir apparent before he did that. I mean his show is successful over there and all but I'm not sure he would have made the move if he only knew he'd have to wait a year or two to take over for Stewart.
I look at it this way - Oliver, I feel, really found his rhythm at HBO so if he were to move over now, there would be less complaining about his not being Stewart/being too much like Stewart because he's now fully established himself.

We'll see how this shakes itself out.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
There was complaining? I loved Oliver when he was filling in for Stewart.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
just got an e-mail form the Mets saying the team will be honoring Stewart sometime this season

well..

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/zeksgn/intro---mets-fan-sympathy

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
There was complaining? I loved Oliver when he was filling in for Stewart.
I'm speaking in general - people are probably going to bitch about whoever the new permanent host is going to be, because the twitterverse. But if it's a guy like Oliver, there will be less of it, since he's now established.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2015/02/conan-obrien-cuba-tbs-1201374174/
Conan O'Brien is filming an episode of his show in Havana, Cuba this weekend. The first time a U.S. late night talk show has filmed in Cuba since Jack Paar in 1959.

I was wondering why he wasn't at SNL40 tonight.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jason Jones is leaving The Daily Show for a show on TBS.

Jeez, there goes the guy that I thought was gonna replace Jon Stewart.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Looks like Samantha Bee is going with him, which sucks, because I really wanted to see her take over for Stewart. I wonder if they can bring back Wyatt Cenac. Maybe John Hodgman?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wyatt Cenac's doing stand up here in Portland tomorrow night and they had an interview with him in the local paper where they asked him about The Daily Show. He seemed slightly against the idea of returning to TV and ambivalent when they directly asked him if he'd replace Jon Stewart. He claimed that nobody's talked to him about taking over the job. But I mean if somebody had talked to him, that's probably the answer to give.

I don't get why Jason Jones & Samantha Bee would leave to do a TBS sitcom unless it's a Tyler Perry type deal where they get an order for 10 episodes for the first season and if it's successful, they get a 100 episode order (aka syndication money). Even then, going to TBS seems like you're saying "OK, I'm going to coast creatively and go for the cash" (coughCONANcough).

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think James Corden had a bigger budget for his first episode than Craig Ferguson had for his entire run as host. And it was actually pretty good, too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I only watched the first 15 minutes but the show looked very, very slick. Vast contrast to Ferguson. Interesting to see what Reggie Watts does in the bandleader/sidekick role.

I also thought it was mildly interesting to see Jay Leno playing himself as a dick (albeit a cartoonish one) on a David Letterman produced show.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://teamcoco.com/video/audience-theme-music-chris-pratt?playlist=x;eyJ0eXBlIjoicmVjZW50IiwiaWQiOm51bGx9

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, I recorded this week to see how he does, seeing from the promos how different he is now that he dropped his character.

Most late night talk shows I don't record on a regular basis though because I fall stupid behind watching episodic stuff, let alone stuff like this that is on every night.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I give the debut episode a solid 8 out of 10. I like that Colbert was able to retain his quirkiness even playing "himself". It really didn't feel too toned down from Colbert Report, which was my main fear.

Only real complaint is the band was kind of corny to me.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was a fantastic debut for Colbert. He did seem nervous being out of his right wing character but I thought that added to the excitement of a new show. The graphics and set design did seem low rent but then again this is CBS

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Yea, for the first night on the job it wasn't too bad

The band did kinda suck tho. The sure ain't no Paul Shaffer and the CBS Orchestra or THE MF'N ROOTS CREW

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait. Has he been talking politics? I might actually watch then.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know how he can not talk politics with the obsession everyone has on Trump right now. I'd rather he be talking about that than some shit about meaningless idiots like Kim Kardashian. This is what he does best and he can expand from there as the country gets less focused on the election.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Political gags are a fixture on nightly talk shows, that or whatever else is news, so how is Colbert any different other than having graphics?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know. I've never watched a nightly talk show.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Colbert did a great job handling Cruz's bullshit the other night and scored some really good points on him too. The Trump interview tonight wasn't as good though the second segment with the Energy Secretary was good. On Colbert Report I always thought the interview segments were a weak point (the trolling ones not counting) due to his character but now that he's dropped it, he's improved a ton. The Biden and Cruz interviews were the best so far I think.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He had a character? I thought he was being more straight for CBS bc they have a republican audience. I thought that part about 'don't boo him" during the Cruz interview reeked of desperation, as in, "don't do it, or they'll fire me for being a liberal"