Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Live Action Disney Remakes

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
After the success of Jungle Book this year and Disney amping up Live Action remakes of their animated classics, they are bringing back Jon Faverau for the Lion King.

I guess you call this photo-realistic because there are no human characters like Jungle Book or the other films done so far.

Could be interesting. I typically like Faverau's work, Jungle Book was better than I expected but much like Book, Lion King was such a big part of my childhood, I will be pretty apprehensive til I see how it comes out.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
So, how do you do a live action story involving animals singing, dancing, and murdering each other without it being heavy on CG...thus making it animated...GAH

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
So, how do you do a live action story involving animals singing, dancing, and murdering each other without it being heavy on CG...thus making it animated...GAH

Well, that's kind of what the Jungle Book was.

BigD

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
I loved The Jungle Book and was hoping they'd remake 'em all. Can't wait for Robin Hood!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
When I posted this, I debated doing a thread because they are doing so many - in addition to the past few years bringing us Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Pete's Dragon (was half and half but I will count animated dragon now CGI and flopping) and Jungle Book they have been filming Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson as Belle (big controversy when some Beast pictures leaked the other day, as they have been hiding him) and this Lion King announcement.

They just announced today a Live Action Mulan for Thanksgiving 2018.

Figured we should just one off because by the time of release, all these films should warrant their own thread but now I am thinking we should just turn this into a Live Action Disney thread because they are working through them all fast.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Alright, changed the thread title since my last post is they are continuing to push through more and I saw more news on other projects today.

John August who wrote Big Fish has already written the Live Action Aladdin and Guy Ritchie is in talks to direct.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Beauty and the Beast is in theatres shortly and Lion King had some casting announcements.

Lion King has cast James Earl Jones as Mufasa and Donald Glover will be Simba. Assuming he is adult Simba a la the Matthew Broderick-JTT combination from the original.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's also the stories about Tim Burton doing some kind of live action "Dumbo", which sounds insane. Helena-Bonham Carter will play all the clowns, and Jumbo somehow.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Looked up the Tim Burton Dumbo and that appears to be a whole new story with humans interaction with Dumbo. Apparently some children befriend Dumbo after seeing him at the circus and Will Smith was in tentative talks to be the father and Tom Hanks was rumored for a villain role. I guess that's how they would do Dumbo, seeing I don't see Lion King too different than Jungle Book but that doesn't sound very appealing.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Burton and Carter split up a few years ago so I doubt we'll be seeing her in his films anymore. The last one she was in was Dark Shadows.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Beauty and the Beast is almost here and there is some "controversy" surrounding because it has come out that Josh Gad's LeFou will be portrayed gay so some countries and theaters are banning it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Went with family to see Beauty and the Beast on Easter. On par with the other remakes, if you like the original, you will like this. Runtime is longer with a few songs I didn't realize. Assuming the stretched out parts were part of the Broadway show, didn't research to see if they were or things created for the movie
such as Belle's mom dying from the PLAGUE

The gay controversy stuff I thought was overblown going in and even more ridiculously overblown now that I've seen it. While I'm no fan of Gad, it wasn't that different than the cartoon. Slightly more blatant but nothing the kids will catch onto. If anything, I feel the gay community should be the ones offended because it was more highlighting stereotypes
in how they portrayed Gad and the other gay guy.

The "other" guy, while making a face during the Gaston song about being on a team is with a group of guys that gets forcibly cross-dressed by the armoire and while the other two run away in terror, he looks at the dresser delighted. So he's gay because he looks to cross-dress seems more offensive than subtle hints in the background to me but...

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
donald glover can only be the child simba, if I saw Matt Brodick as a live action adult I wouldn't buy him either.

someone should remake Sword in the Stone, completely faithful to the original story. We can use cool CGI for the fish scene. Casting:

The Wart aka future King Arthur:

MV5BMjgxMjQwNDc5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODI5Njk2NDE@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

His asshole stepbrother:

icecube.png

His Legal Guardian, the short fat guy with the bristled moustache:

MV5BMTgyOTY5NTAwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzkwMDI0._V1_UY317_CR17,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

MOTHERFUCKIN MERLINNNN:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-438-1398798006-5.gif

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Timon and Pumbaa cast - Pumbaa is Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner as Timon

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Bumping this thread because there have been all kinds of updates about an incoming live action Lady and the Tramp the last few days. Probably will split stuff into their own threads as they actually come out as it seems that Aladdin is getting close and I saw the trailer for Dumbo before Ant-Man and The Wasp and really liked what I saw.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had no idea that the Genie in Aladdin is Will Smith

Guess someone had some fun with that one already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEZkBR1yWw&t=1s

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Live Action Lilo & Stitch is now in development

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/lilo-stitch-live-action-disney-remake-works-1148811

Staff member
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2018/12/emma-stone-craig-gillespie-cruella-director-live-action-1202514016/

EXCLUSIVE: I, Tonya‘s Craig Gillespie is in talks at Disney to direct the live action Cruella with Emma Stone playing the woman who covets the furs of the 101 Dalmation pups needed to give her the perfect coat, sources said.

Alex Timbers, the acclaimed Broadway director/writer and co-creator of Amazon’s Mozart In The Jungle, was going to direct the film, but the latest development is all about timing, I’m told. Basically, Disney has decided it needs the movie to start production sooner than it expected to. Which means, start pre-production immediately and begin shooting next year.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
We already had two live action Dalmatian movies, why does Cruella need to be a thing?

And I say this as someone who loves Emma Stone

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The first complete trailer's dropped. Really like how the elephant graveyard looks. Movie's gonna be like one of those 4K level nature shows meets animated Lion King and I'm all for that visually. Already looks like it'll be epic and gorgeous in that vein as expected.

Did take me a few to realize that was Scar with the hyenas. Curious how they voice the hyenas in this remake since they were pretty memorable from a comedic pov in the animated movie and I don't know if that'll gel with this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TavVZMewpY

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Went to see Dumbo with some family last night. It was okay. The first stretch of the movie left me wondering who it was targeted at, outside the traditional Burton fans. The fan, throughout, was a bit on the dark side for little kids, I thought, and while I haven't seen the original in years, I knew it strayed greatly from the plot of that movie. Curious how children react to
Colin Farrell's character being a one-armed man
as I didn't know that going in.

The movie, in my opinion, picked up once Michael Keaton's character arrived and I enjoyed it after then. Not something to rush for or go out of your way and see but not a horrible choice to watch on TV if you find it on some time.

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw Aladdin. The short version is that the racist parts of the cartoon are removed (and the cartoon is racist as fuck, come at me bro), but the film isn't all that original so you can figure out whatever that means for yourself. I enjoyed watching it because the film didn't paint Arab people to be savages and Will Smith did a good turn as the Genie. I was surprised by that. Posting a longer review in the thread where that goes.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
I saw Aladdin. The short version is that the racist parts of the cartoon are removed (and the cartoon is racist as fuck, come at me bro), but the film isn't all that original so you can figure out whatever that means for yourself. I enjoyed watching it because the film didn't paint Arab people to be savages and Will Smith did a good turn as the Genie. I was surprised by that. Posting a longer review in the thread where that goes.
I enjoyed it, as well. Just saw it yesterday. Naomi Scott blew me away. Marwan Kenzari as "Jafar" lacked the evil I had wanted from a movie villain. What I mean by that is I get the impression I could walk onto set and Mr. Kenzari would hang out with me for hours and not kick me out. Granted, he was probably too busy being psyched about being in a remake for a movie movie he liked as a kid.

I'll leave the movie reviewing to the pros.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
With this being bumped, reports he other day that they are working on The Little Mermaid and are negotiating with Melissa McCarthy for Ursula.