Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Live Action Disney Remakes

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Little Mermaid cast Ariel this week. An African-American actress named Halle Bailey who is in the shown grown-ish, one of the spinoffs of black-ish currently on TV on Freeform.

A lot of gross behavior happened on the internet as happens when these castings “don’t look like the cartoon”. Freeform’s social media outnumber out this statement:

https://twitter.com/FreeformTV/status/1147647797732106240

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The negative reactions are disgusting, but the memes making fun of the negative reactions have been pretty great as an outlet.

Someone I thought that was a little more progressive minded showed my group a funny tweet in regards to this last night. Everyone politely laughed. Then the person started pulling up flat out racist shit. SMH.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Terry Crews was campaigning for King Triton and instead Disney is looking at Javier Bardem. Terrible. Terry was born for the role.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Saw Lion King tonight. Mulan trailer was attached, didn’t realize it was getting that close.

As for Lion King, I enjoyed it. I'm glad I saw the 3D because visually it is stunning. It is just missing that something special and heart of the original cartoon. I don't know if it's because I was invested in that for 25 years but stuff like the bond between Simba and Timon/Pumbaa wasn't there for me in this one. Still entertaining, just missing something to me

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Aladdin 2 in development

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aladdin-2-works-guy-ritchie-direct-1279150

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Robin Hood was one of my favorites but this getting “live action” treatment may be super creepy.

Going to be a a Disney+ film, I feel because every modern day Robin Hood has bombed

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robin-hood-remake-works-at-disney-blindspotting-director-1289702

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the screencap makes it look like they are gonna do a version of Joker with Cruella DeVille

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on board if they give it the Maleficient/Joker treatment character-wise. Really liked the trailer and I'm a sucker for anything Emma Stone (and she has the chops to easily carry this and do what Joaquin did for Joker) so I'm tentatively excited for this one.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's almost unfathomable that Disney has the fuckin' balls to look at the original animated film and decide "we should try to justify the actions of this crazy lady because for the love of God have you seen our Hot Topic merch sales???"

With Luke Evans playing the Coachman in the live-action Pinocchio, I can't wait to see how they try to sex him up for some kind of sympathetic prequel where he is the conscience in a group of dark alley thugs and is thus the only survivor of the original Pleasure Island curse, but then at the very end decides he's going to use it to rid the world of delinquents like his former friends.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you market a vain attempted puppy-killer to families?
Step 1: Make her Emma Stone
Step 2: Make her fashionable
Step 3: Dogs Always = Win for Kids (and Adults). Proven Fact.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Cruella and it's really good for the first hour and 45 minutes then kind of starts getting dragged by pacing and some blah "twists" that are very.... Disney-esque to the point that I can see the ending act ruining the movie for some (I didn't mind it though). Emma Stone was fantastic, the fashion design/set design was really well done as well. The soundtrack/song choices were really great too.

For the first 2/3rds of the movie it's very The Devil Wears Prada in the best ways. Again, the twists are kinda stupid and obvious but they are standard Disney stuff too. Horace and Jasper were entertaining and provided a good chemistry with Stone's Estella/Cruella that made their relationship feel legitimate. It does feel long and as I said, the 1:35 mark is where I was kind of checking the time and ready for it to start wrapping up.

It definitely is one of the best live-action Disney movies but that bar also isn't too high to clear either.

7/10

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
its a remake? i thought its an origin. does it somehow justify her becoming an evil dog murderer.
It's an "origin" story, you're right. Had Mulan on the brain since it was showing that teaser after I finished the movie so I was thinking live-action remake.