Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Madden 10

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
Madden 10
Release Date: August 2010
Formats: PS3, Xbox360, Wii

Electronic Arts has announced that Madden NFL 10 will be released for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PS2 and PSP this August.

The "next-gen" versions of the game boast new animation technology and a range of new visual effects outlined by the art director on EASports.com.

In terms of gameplay, the press release says we can expect to drag defenders towards the first down marker, fight for a fumble at the bottom of the pile, and step up into the pocket to avoid the rush. Yay.

"We're hitting the real sweet spot of development for this generation of consoles as the team is really hitting its stride in squeezing every ounce of power and capability from the hardware," EA Sports boss Peter Moore wrote about Madden on his blog last week.

Meanwhile, the Wii version is going its own way, promising a "genre-defining art style", designed from the ground up to work as a "social, dynamic experience". So, probably super-deformed characters and hula hoops.

Fans can tune in to the Madden NFL 10 Draft Experience over at the official website on Saturday 25th April to find out player ratings as the NFL Draft takes place.

EA should also unveil the cover star on 24th April

Who will be this year's cover boy?

ss_preview_maddennfl10_firstscreen_.jpg

M

Matt Young

I'll buy it as always. Madden 09 was the best one yet, as far as I'm concerned. But I hate the name "Madden 10".

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah this year was the perfect time to switch to Roman Numerals ala Superbowl. Last year's Madden was the best one in a long, long time, if they can (finally) sort the Franchise bugs out - a new one appears every year - then this will be amazing. Be a Pro needs a little loving as the initial idea was great, but they haven't expanded on it since it appeared.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
* Ian Cummings has indicated that blocking and general OL/DL interaction is a priority this year. Strong possibility of seeing the branching animation system will be expanded to include line moves..
JESUS FUCK FINALLY. This has been my biggest complaint about Madden for like, over a decade now. Blocking and all that is shit. I HATE how in Madden when you're blocked or blocking, you're like glued to the guy.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still haven't seen a realistic draft in Madden and that just drags down gameplay like mad. Teams that have 3 receivers should NOT be drafting 4 running backs.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
2GOLD said:
I still haven't seen a realistic draft in Madden and that just drags down gameplay like mad. Teams that have 3 receivers should NOT be drafting 4 running backs.
You are in luck; the Franchise mode was taken over by the NFL Head Coach guys, and they absolutely nailed the draft. Realistic picks, tons of trading by teams to move up & down based on need, you can trade any pick you have at the moment and see what teams will offer you, you can jump into negotiations with any team trying to trade their pick...it's great.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Hey that's good news. I heard Head Coach wasn't moving as many units as they hoped, so it makes sense to tie the two games together to save on development costs.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That news alone might convince me to buy this. If the gameplay is solid and the bugs are ignorable then I'm sold.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Gameplay was amazing last season, there were one or two bugs that we fixed by the end of September, the only let down last year was Franchise (its been the same for the last 3 games) and Be a Pro (also been the same for the last 2-3 games)

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I hope they also fix the secondary AI this year; that was something that really bugged me about '09. It seemed like there was a delay between pushing the button to swat at a pass and the player actually doing it, leaving him out of position. A lot of DBs also seemed to not stick with the WR and they always ran 10 yards up the field while the receiver does a curl route, forcing me to run his ass back down.

VX made the point about blocking already; I rarely scored sacks because if your rusher was even close to a lineman he was sucked over to him while my OL would flat out ignore guys rushing the QB.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
You know, two of the three things Chris bolded in the article was all ready implemented six years ago.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. There were several times in last year's Madden where a strong running back would carry a few tacklers a couple of yards before going down. You've always been able to move within the pocket (or out of it for a scramble) at least in the next gen games.

However, if you look at EA Sport's recent games from the '09 line of the Franchise, most, if not all, have been a great improvement over 08 titles. Fifa 09 was amazing, best fifa in nearly 10 years, NHL09 was immense, and if they can take elements of Be a Pro from that and put it into Madden we're going to have a game on our hands.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
More fun, this time from the developer's Twitter:

ian_cummings: Make a note - try to break Emmitt's or Rice's records in Madden NFL 10. You won't be disappointed.

Bitchin. I'm the kind of guy who takes an interest in chasing records (hell I still play NCAA 04 because I haven't broken all the coaching records yet), so a special something for breaking a huge record is pretty badass.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
You know it can't be denied that when EA said they were going to change their direction and make some quality games that they have in fact started to make quality games (NFS, Godfather II aside).

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That should be awesome, so long as it's not way too overpowered.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I like the cover. Only thing to me is I kinda feel like it should be Madden 2010 instead of Madden 10. I mean, I know we just had the 20th anniversary edition and the majority of the video gaming public knows the game has been around forever, but it just seems weird to me that it says Madden 10. It was fine with the 00s, I guess I will have to get used to "the future".

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Half curse for each, or curse for both, or is being stuck on the soon-to-be-Boldinless-Cardinals curse enough for Fitz?