Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Make your case for the greatest outfielders of all time

Dandy

Reaction score
As a spinoff to Willie Mays being last on the GOAT (for all sports) poll and then bumped, I thought I would create this thread to not only showcase just how elite some of the outfielders were in MLB, but also just how difficult it is to choose which three would make your greatest outfield ever and who the greatest outfielder ever would be.

In this thread, I will list some of the greatest outfielders of all time; link to their stats on Baseball-Reference; and highlight some things about them that people may not realize. Make your case for each outfielder you put on your greatest of all time team. Make your case for the best ever. Just make your case. Don’t just list the names; elaborate on why you chose who you did.

As for the makeup of your outfield, you can make it position-specific or not. I don’t care.

—————

Babe Ruth

All those home runs (714). An all-time OPS of 206, the best ever. The stats are insane by themselves but considering what he was putting up versus the rest of the league is ridiculous. Though you cannot count his pitching stats toward being the best outfielder, it is fun to speculate what he could have put up had he been in the outfield the entire time rather than on the mound.

Hank Aaron

He beat Ruth’s HR record and did so by never hitting more than 47 in a season. All time RBI and total bases leader. 3,771 hits, which is third all-time and 141 ahead of 4th place/257 ahead of 5th.

Willie Mays

660 home runs and would have had more of not for military service. It is not out of the question that he could have gotten past Ruth’s 714 and seemed nearly a lock for 700 had he not lost the time. So many Gold Gloves in center; 338 stolen bases; and 3,283 hits.

Ted Williams

Even with missing nearly five seasons for military service, he hit 521 home runs. His absurd .482 OBP is the greatest ever. He hit .406 as a 22 year old and .388 at 38. He won two MVPs and finished second four times (arguably robbed in some) and seven top five finishes in years he did not win. His OPS+ of 191 was second to Ruth

Joe DiMaggio

361 home runs versus 369 strikeouts. Ridiculous. He lost three years to military service and still won three MVPs with a couple of second place finishes peppered in.

Mickey Mantle

536 home runs as a switch hitter. Three MVPs and three times runner up. 172 OPS+.

Frank Robinson

The first MVP in two leagues. 586 home runs.

Ken Griffey Jr.

In a career riddled with injuries, he hit 630 home runs and won nine Gold Gloves. Won an MVP and finished top five in four others.

Barry Bonds

First all time in home runs (762); walks (2,558; nearly 400 more than 2nd place). Even with all those walks, he nearly made it to the 3,000 hit club with 2,935. Seven MVPs and twice a runner up.

Rickey Henderson

First all-time in runs scored with 2,295 and over 400 more stolen bases than anyone else. Over 3,000 hits and nearly 300 home runs (297) from what was usually a lead off position.

Stan Musial

Three MVPs and four times runner up. Fourth all-time in hits at 3,630. Third in doubles and second in total bases while hitting 475 homers.

Ty Cobb

Second in hits with 4,189. Highest batting average of all-time at .366. Near the top of the leaderboards for WAR; runs; singles; doubles; triples; and stolen bases.

Tris Speaker

Doubles leader with 792. 3,512 hits and a .345 average. High on the WAR leaderboard.

Mel Ott

511 home runs. More WAR than some of the more celebrated guys on this list.

Roberto Clemente

3,000 hits exactly. A howitzer of a right arm. 12 Gold Gloves and an MVP in a career cut short by his untimely death.

Al Kaline

Just over 3,000 hits (3,007) and a home run shy of 400. 10 Gold Gloves and was beaten out of an MVP a few times

Carl Yastrzemski

3,419 hits. 452 home runs. Seven Gold Gloves

—————

OF All-Time WAR

1. Barry Bonds 162.8
2. Babe Ruth 162.1
3. Willie Mays 156.2
4. Ty Cobb 151.0
5. Hank Aaron 143.1
6. Tris Speaker 134.3
7. Stan Musial 128.3
9. Ted Williams 121.9
10. Rickey Henderson 111.2
11. Mel Ott 110.7
12. Mickey Mantle 110.2
13. Frank Robinson 107.2
14. Carl Yastrzemski 96.4
15. Roberto Clemente 94.8
16. Al Kaline 92.8
17. Ken Griffey Jr. 83.8
18. Joe DiMaggio 79.1

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna call this a placeholder post but I'm gonna try to come up with a 2nd or 3rd Tier Underrated GOAT list. It's also surprising just how many elite legends were outfielders too when you think about certain positional stigmas: Defensive Catchers, No Hit All Glove Shortstops, the rangy 2B Leadoff Slap Hitter, Power Clubbing 1B, etc.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Alrighty, here we go... Going GOAT was just too blah to me so I went in a different direction.

Harley's Top 3 Underrated Outfielders.
LF: Alfonso Soriano
Above-average fielder in range factor but never really got his due. One of the best power-hitting outfielders in baseball in the 2000s and criminally underappreciated because he didn't walk very much so he didn't get the buzz of say an Adam Dunn. Routinely was hitting 40+ Doubles, 35+ HRs, and stealing 35-40 bases a year. From 2002-2005 he stole 128 bases and was caught stealing just 24 times. His hitting kind of fell off at 33 but he was still capable of 30+ HR years 36 and 37 years old.

CF: Duke Snider
Very underrated as a hitter in the 1950s. Not a great fielder but serviceable enough. Probably close to 480 HR in his career if the Dodgers had stayed in Brooklyn rather than moving to Los Angeles. Had 5 straight seasons of 40+ HR with at least 77 walks. From 1953-1959 he had an OPS+ of 156 over that span.

RF: Tony Gwynn Sr.
Pretty much a pure Singles hitter but (like Ichiro with his power), I think Gwynn tailored his hitting style precisely to that. He could walk/work counts early in his career (50+ walks) if he had so desired. The fact he was striking out just 15-20 times in a given season at the heights of the 'Steroids Era' is super under-appreciated. Could steal 25-30+ bases if given the green light and he didn't gain so much weight. Was a league average RF in range factor but was still given 5 Gold Gloves. May not be underrated necessarily but from 1993-1997 he had a .368 BA over that run... Ichiro's best 6 year run had him hitting .335 for comparison whilst striking out way more.

Dandy

Reaction score
Snider just missed this list from a WAR standpoint. I had to cut it somewhere, and a number divisible by three seemed appropriate.

Dandy

Reaction score
Snider just missed this list from a WAR standpoint. I had to cut it somewhere, and a number divisible by three seemed appropriate.
Actually, Snider would have been much further down looking at the WAR list again. He was in no danger of making my list of options at 66.0 WAR.

Dandy

Reaction score
There were several higher WARs ahead of him. I am not taking anything away from him. He just didn’t make the cut.

Edit: @HarleyQuinn, while looking up stuff on Snider, I came across his 1956 season. He led the league in: WAR (7.6; tied with Mays); HR (43); BB (99); OBP (.399); SLG (.598); OPS (.997); OPS+ (155); and IBB (26). His other stats were good to great.

He finished 10th in the NL MVP race and 5th amongst his teammates.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aaron/Mays/Mantle.

I think Aaron is the GOAT baseball player. He was so consistently good for so long, it's kind of hard to believe he was real. A good defender, a legendary bat, and, even with the racism and death threats getting worse after his team moved south, he somehow kept showing up and collecting important hits.

Mays wasn't as good a hitter as Aaron (even though he's an all time great in the category himself) but he was the greatest centerfielder to ever live. I'm a big fan of Lorenzo Cain and, imo, appreciating him helps illustrate how good the even better Willie Mays was.

And Mantle may have ended up even better than Mays in the outfield had he not wrecked his knee during DiMaggio's last season. Mickey Mantle should not have had a fraction of the stats he ended up with considering all his injuries. And yet, he did.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mays, Trout, Aaron.

I think I could swap out Aaron for about anyone in the first post and be OK with it, though.

Mike Trout might be the best baseball player who ever lived.

Dandy

Reaction score
I did not include Trout because he is still active and nothing more. He is only 5 WAR behind DiMaggio right now, and should theoretically pass him this season.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Bonds/Mays/Ruth

There's one big name missing: Oscar Charleston.

Seamheads has something like 80% of negro league stats compiled. Charleston played from 1915-41, a 27 year career. He's first all time in the recorded history of the leagues in doubles, triples, RBIs, stolen bases. (Emphasize. They have 1584 games for Charleston, 1475 for Bell. Charleston outstole Bell 367-345.) He's second in home runs behind Gibson. In Charleston's career he averaged 22 HRs and 46 SBs every 162 games. He played center field and was well regarded as a fielder though I take that with a grain of salt. And he was a team leader, he became the Pittsburgh Crawfords' player/manager and then managed the Philadelphia Stars.

Charleston was probably the best player to play in the leagues. Players like Monte Irvin, Larry Doby, Roy Campanella came out of the leagues and had Hall of Fame careers. I think Charleston at worst is probably in the top 25 all time. Bill James rated him fourth. That might be optimistic but it's not improbable.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought of a few others (Yount) but forgot all about Charleston. My next 3, and I'd probably change my starting 3 if I were asked again next week, are Bonds, Ruth and DiMaggio. I don't think Cobb's reputation is historically accurate and, while his era is night/day to later ones, I think he'd figure out a way to start and be productive at any time. But he'd probably be a 'scrappy,' Cardinals type and I don't want that on my dream team.

Yelich might be in this conversation someday. I hope.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The craziest thing about Ted Williams is that he put up those career numbers while being shifted upon starting in 1946 (the infamous "Ted Williams Shift" started by Boudreau). He also probably would've had around 640 HRs if he didn't miss 3 years for military service and essentially missed '52 and '53 completely due to injuries (122 PA total, still hit 14 HR).

"From that moment on, teams more or less shifted on Williams throughout the rest of his career. They did it so much that he once estimated it lopped about 15 points off of his lifetime batting average, and Williams’s intuition wasn’t far off: his career splits before and after that season showed a difference of 16 points. (Though other factors also surely contributed to that gap.)"

alkeiper

Reaction score
I thought of a few others (Yount) but forgot all about Charleston. My next 3, and I'd probably change my starting 3 if I were asked again next week, are Bonds, Ruth and DiMaggio. I don't think Cobb's reputation is historically accurate and, while his era is night/day to later ones, I think he'd figure out a way to start and be productive at any time. But he'd probably be a 'scrappy,' Cardinals type and I don't want that on my dream team.

Yelich might be in this conversation someday. I hope.
I think people see Cobb's stolen base numbers and view him as a leadoff hitter prototype. He only batted 1st 28 times in his career. 90% of his starts he batted third or fourth. He's fourth all time in doubles, 2nd in triples. These are power numbers. He's listed at 6'1", 175 lbs. So he's not a Johnny Evers deadball era size player either. That's the same size as Al Kaline and Billy Williams. Cobb was above average in terms of size. Modern Cobb would easily pop off 25 HRs a season.

Dandy

Reaction score
Also regarding Williams and the shift, he stubbornly said he would just hit into it rather than altering his swing. In my opinion (and many others) he is the greatest hitter of all time.

He got with Tony Gwynn to discuss hitting and convinced Gwynn to turn on the pitches on the inside of the plate instead of waiting on those outside pitches to slap the other way. Gwynn hit .394 with .568 slugging in ‘94 before the strike ended the season. I watched the interview with the two of them where they discussed this and the wild success Gwynn had with the advice.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I think people see Cobb's stolen base numbers and view him as a leadoff hitter prototype. He only batted 1st 28 times in his career. 90% of his starts he batted third or fourth. He's fourth all time in doubles, 2nd in triples. These are power numbers. He's listed at 6'1", 175 lbs. So he's not a Johnny Evers deadball era size player either. That's the same size as Al Kaline and Billy Williams. Cobb was above average in terms of size. Modern Cobb would easily pop off 25 HRs a season.
It's also worth noting that Navin Field had a 345' LF, 365' LCF, 467' CF, 370' RCF, and 370' RF for the majority of Cobb's career. He easily could've hit 20-30 HR a year in the late 1930s when CF was moved in to 440' and RF was moved in 315' to 325' range.

Bill James talks a lot about park factors but a lot of the rise in 1930s-1940s HRs were thanks to dramatic ballpark changes especially in moving fences in closer to the field.

"Before the start of the 1940 season, the right-field wall was moved in 20 feet shortening the outfield fence from 325 to 302 feet in right field and 402 to 380 feet in right-center field. Bullpens for the Red Sox and the visiting team were placed in the area created between the stands and the outfield wall, replacing the original ones in foul territory." That was just for Fenway Park nevermind the other ballpark stadiums.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Check out Cleveland hitters in the late 30s and '40s, since they were splitting use of League Park and Cleveland Stadium during the season.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out Cleveland hitters in the late 30s and '40s, since they were splitting use of League Park and Cleveland Stadium during the season.
Definitely. Hal Trosky 49 HR at "home" in 1935/1936 compared to 19 HR on the road in just those 2 seasons. It's one of the reasons that I don't think fans realize how much the Seattle Kingdome helped Ken Griffey Jr (362' RCF, 312' down the line) compared to if he had hit in a Safeco-style ballpark for the majority of his career.

Even Mile High Stadium was much more favorable to RHB (333' down the line, '366 in the power alley) compared to Coors Field which is 347' and 390' for comparison. They did make Coors Field more advantageous to LHB (CF moved in by 7', RCF by 25', and line by 20') but at the expense of making it tougher on RHB.

It's always kind of baffled me how the Colorado Rockies management seems to want to make their ballclub as pitcher-friendly as possible, rather than just leaning into giving themselves a greater home-field advantage in the power game. It'd be like the Yankees getting Babe Ruth and pushing the fences out further or the Red Sox deciding, "Hey. We have Jimmie Foxx & Ted Williams. Let's keep the fences deep and move the Green Monster back 30 feet too while we're at it."