Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games for positive drug test

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez8-2009may08,0,6324894.story
Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test
The suspension makes Ramirez the biggest star penalized under baseball's testing program that started in 2003.
By Bill Shaikin and Dylan Hernandez Times Staff Writers
8:35 AM PDT, May 7, 2009
Manny Ramirez has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended 50 games starting today, The Times has learned.

The test result and suspension is expected to be announced later today. The Dodgers informed triple-A outfielder Xavier Paul this morning that he was being promoted to Los Angeles.

I figured that this warranted it's own thread. This is easily the biggest name to get suspended for PEDs right? Does this qualify as Manny being Manny?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Manny Ramirez is the one person I could buy using PEDs and not really knowing it was wrong. Dude's autistic.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Manny is claiming that he had a medical issue, saw a doctor, and the doctor told him the drugs he prescribed him would not violate the MLB drug policy, and he was wrong.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Baseball players should realise that taking the Andy Pettite route is the one that works best

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The suspension will cost him $7.7 million in salary. So at the end of the season will he opt out of his contract and try to get an extra $7.7 million?

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully he opts out and the team washes their hands of this goof.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"So what can you tell us about the substance that Manny tested positive for?"
"Uh...nothing really."
--Sportscenter's interview with the LA Times beat reporter. Awesome.

Staff member
Reaction score
Then perhaps this is all bullshit. I'll wish it away until I can't wish anymore.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why are people so upset? It's May 7. Manny will be back before the All Star Break. Pennants are not won in April/May. They have plenty of time to rebuild whatever lead they have over the division at the point. While I joked in the other thread about the Padres, the Dodgers without Manny is still just as good if not better than the other teams in the division. It's all fine. No, wishing it away or curling up in the corner in a fetal position sucking your thumb while weeping is not terribly necessary here.

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm wishing it away for another reason. It is nearly impossible for me to support someone who juiced.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Next USC #55 said:
Why are people so upset? It's May 7. Manny will be back before the All Star Break. Pennants are not won in April/May. They have plenty of time to rebuild whatever lead they have over the division at the point. While I joked in the other thread about the Padres, the Dodgers without Manny is still just as good if not better than the other teams in the division. It's all fine. No, wishing it away or curling up in the corner in a fetal position sucking your thumb while weeping is not terribly necessary here.

They're losing their best slugger for 50 games, who got exposed as a cheater too. Dodger fans have a right to be upset. The games still matter in May and June

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it was true, he is suspended, and says

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me," Ramirez said. "Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now.

I think we as fans have the right to know what he failed the drug test because of. Someone needs to spill it.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah seriously, name the drug or at least have someone in MLB confirm it as a prescription drug for a medical condition that is still banned. Cause right now, no one believes a word coming out of his mouth. If he wants to clear his name, name the drug, prove it wasn't steroids and then still take responsibility for taking it. Actually would make him look less like a cheater and more like one of the few stand-up guys in the game.

Not saying the name of the drug and just saying "my doctor told me it was ok" doesn't make a lick of sense. Since you know, your doctor doesn't work for Major League Baseball and wouldn't have a clue what was on the banned list. As it is now, it just looks like he's making a weak excuse to sweep it away.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
909 said:
No, I'm wishing it away for another reason. It is nearly impossible for me to support someone who juiced.

Odds are at some time in your life you have supported some athelete who juiced who you will never find out or never hear of any allegations that they juiced so it's really best not to dwell on it.

As for Manny's explanation...ehhh, that's what they all say.

Loaded Glove

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is the biggest kick to the nuts I've woken up to since, uh.. 9/11.

Juan Pierre must be one happy motherfucker.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With Manny suspended do the Dodgers stop carrying 13 pitchers and bring in a 5th outfielder? I can't imagine they're excited about the idea of either Juan Pierre or Xavier Paul starting every day, and possibly both of them if someone else needs a day off.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Question: why are the Dodgers allowed to replace Manny on the roster?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but when a player is suspendeded for a game or two (or five) their team has to play shorthanded, right? So why would the Dodgers not have to be go with a 24-man team for the next two months? Are the rules different when it's a drug policy violation?

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given the wording of the statement and the fact that it's Los Angeles, am I alone in thinking it's medicinal marijuana?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Manny better fuck the hell out of some bitches. $8 million worth of white women.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ESPN says it's HCG, which has a pharmaceutical use as a "fertility drug" but common amongst dopers coming off of a steroid cycle. It also produces testosterone for people who need it after a surgery or people who use it to get a boost. It was prescribed to him in Florida.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
ESPN says it's HCG, which has a pharmaceutical use as a "fertility drug" but common amongst dopers coming off of a steroid cycle. It also produces testosterone for people who need it after a surgery or people who use it to get a boost. It was prescribed to him in Florida.

And there goes any hope Manny had of people believing this was just a mistake with some common medicine being on the banned list.