Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games for positive drug test

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Simmons should stop writing about things, in general.

That ADHD exemption is bullshit too. Either a disproportionate number of the best baseball players on the planet have attention-deficit disorder, or some union scum found a loophole for them to legally keep taking the amphetamines they'd been taking before the ban. "Yeah, my doctor says I need marijuana to get high."

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090507&sportCat=mlb

Simmons should really stop writing about baseball. His Manny column last year was brutal to read through and this sounds like someone killed his dog again. I honestly don't give a shit; if guys were using back then it's the sport's fault for letting it happen and all they can do is try and clean up their act.

I liked how his hypothetical 6-year-old-son had a college-level vocabulary.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Dave Eggers ghost-wrote the column. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Doucheness.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090507&sportCat=mlb

Simmons should really stop writing about baseball. His Manny column last year was brutal to read through and this sounds like someone killed his dog again. I honestly don't give a shit; if guys were using back then it's the sport's fault for letting it happen and all they can do is try and clean up their act.

Yea, that one was terrible. Especially with him acting like the two World Series are tainted. Really, Simmons? Shut the fuck up. I also think implying all those Sox took steroids is shady journalism

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have been reading Simmons for a long time. That was just an awful piece of writing, and the worst I have ever seen from him. You guys are all correct in your statements. His six year old son's vocabulary was tremendous.

"Nothing was ever really proved," I tell my son, trying to keep up the good fight.

He ignores me and starts rattling through our 2004 lineup with creepy precision. He points out Nomar Garciaparra's remarkable 1999 and 2000 seasons, his subsequent tendon injuries and how his career played out so blandly afterward for reasons that remain unclear. My dad points out the Sox traded Nomar midway through the 2004 season. Technically, that debate shouldn't even matter. Score one for Dad.

"But what about Trot Nixon and Bill Mueller?" my son says. "They missed a bunch of games every year with injuries, put on weight when they were skinny guys, peaked quickly and were never seen again. Same for Mark Bellhorn, right? That's suspicious."

I'm terribly sorry, but no six year old child has an encyclopedia like that in their head, and to have the ability to recall it for a monologue like that is ridiculous.

On a side note, his gimmick of being a fan that happens to be a writer wore thin years ago. When he acts all buddy-buddy with the Rockets GM, making sure to mention him once a column as "Dork Elvis", he's not really much of an outsider any more. Or when he interviews David Stern. I think I may just have to stop reading him altogether. It's getting embarrassing to say that I read someone who should stick to basketball, and not be allowed to mention the Celtics every column, either.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Whatever you think of Bill Simmons, he gets a pass for being friends with Adam Carolla, and doing good podcasts with him.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Simmons's aim was to write a column so preposterous and crappy that the allegations directed at his own team would be dismissed out of hand as the theories of an incompetent hack, thus preserving the legacy of the Red Sox, if only in his own mind.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
A Happy Medium said:
He ignores me and starts rattling through our 2004 lineup with creepy precision. He points out Nomar Garciaparra's remarkable 1999 and 2000 seasons, his subsequent tendon injuries and how his career played out so blandly afterward for reasons that remain unclear. My dad points out the Sox traded Nomar midway through the 2004 season. Technically, that debate shouldn't even matter. Score one for Dad.

"But what about Trot Nixon and Bill Mueller?" my son says. "They missed a bunch of games every year with injuries, put on weight when they were skinny guys, peaked quickly and were never seen again. Same for Mark Bellhorn, right? That's suspicious."[/i]

I'm terribly sorry, but no six year old child has an encyclopedia like that in their head, and to have the ability to recall it for a monologue like that is ridiculous.

Unless he teaches his kid to read with the 2004 Red Sox Yearbook, all his son will do his first time at Fenway is gawk at the Monster and cheer for everything the Sox do right, like every other kid will ever do. Simmons has this weird obsession with the '04 team; he pissed and moaned when they didn't keep the band together for the '05 season, even though nearly every move was the right call to make.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
I like how the columnists here are writing about LA giving too much support to a cheater, being just like SF and Barry, etc.

Any city would support the best player on their team. If Bonds was still a Pirate they'd be cheering him, too.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Fuck the LA Times and especially Bill Plaschke for trying to make LA fans guilty about supporting Manny. If me booing Bonds for being a cheater makes me a hypocrite, then I'm the biggest fucking hypocrite in town.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The two cases are actually nothing alike. Bonds was obviously guilty for years, and the Giants fans cheered him on every step of the way, deluding themselves into thinking they were supporting anything but a fraud. Dodgers fans haven't sold their souls just yet.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Your soul is sold by actively participating in the charade of professional sports in this country. If you aren't willing to embrace the madness you don't belong at the table.

Accept that we're all hellbound or GTFO

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
I like how the columnists here are writing about LA giving too much support to a cheater, being just like SF and Barry, etc.

Any city would support the best player on their team. If Bonds was still a Pirate they'd be cheering him, too.

Not really. Bonds was hated by the fans of Pittsburgh

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
Star Ocean 2 said:

Not really. Bonds was hated by the fans of Pittsburgh
I wouldn't say he was hated, but there was a bit more of a split than you might expect. The media in Pittsburgh definitely hated him almost from day one, and people who met him in person never had particularly nice things to say to him, but the vast majority of the fans supported him for the most part. It wasn't until the end of his stay in Pittsburgh, when it became somewhat clear that he was going to be leaving after going nuts about his first arbitration hearing, then basically telling everyone he was leaving after losing his second that a good number of fans soured on him. Back to back lousy postseasons also had something to do with it. He was still pretty well supported most of 1992, and things didn't really turn on a larger scale until he failed to throw out Sid Bream and then left town. Had he never indicated he was planning on leaving or had a postseason similar to the one he had in 2002 for the Giants there's not much reason to think they would have had any issues with Bonds in Pittsburgh. They actually gave him two standing ovations at PNC Park when he returned after hitting 756.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Precious Roy said:
Your soul is sold by actively participating in the charade of professional sports in this country. If you aren't willing to embrace the madness you don't belong at the table.

Accept that we're all hellbound or GTFO

Word. It's funny how baseball writers delude themselves into being the watchmen of the sport. It's just a bunch a grown men playing a children's game for our entertainment. It's entertainment, nothing more or less.

It's also funny how MLB can suspend players for steriods, when for years they pushed it on the players indirectly.