Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scroby said:
I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for DLC extras (characters, maps, gametypes) but I'm getting really tired of the console exclusive stuff. I mean at first, I really didn't mind it. It sucked that the 360 got something the PS3 didn't get or vica versa but it seemed kind of balanced so it really didn't bother me but now it doesn't seem so balanced anymore. PS3 gets playable Joker stuff in Batman Dark Asylum while currently the 360 version gets crap or there's the PS3 version of Smackdown vs Raw 2010 with Stone Cold as a DLC exclusive which is only a Gamestop pre-order exclusive. Which means if I want to play as Stone Cold I have to not only pre-order my game from Gamestop which is in another city for me, I'd have to get a PS3 before the fucking game came out.

DLC is really starting to bug me with the exclusive bullshit.

When did he become ps3 exclusive?

Is this more of the same as #1 or is there any vast improvements?

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
Just to clarify I'm a fan of DLC but not "game shope exclusive" characters. They've started to do it over here now more and more and it sucks.

Console exclusive stuff sucks too.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This pre-order exclusive shit has got to stop. Kind of kills the appeal of buying the game later on down the road if you are going to miss out on some characters.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those "exclusive" characters will all be availible for DLC at some point i'm willing to bet. I believe the big point about store exclusives for pre-orders is to make more people buy new instead of used anyways. It sucks for consumers but is great for game companies and retailers. It's never going to stop.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As long as the characters are available down the road via DLC, then its not as bad. I'm still not a fan of these game company's nickle and diming us to death with DLC though.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AntiLeaf33 said:
As long as the characters are available down the road via DLC, then its not as bad. I'm still not a fan of these game company's nickle and diming us to death with DLC though.

When you buy it and just bitch about it, you're an enabler, though. That includes every one of you who has paid for an avatar or a theme.

Unless it's a downloadable expansion pack that actually offers a lot of content (like Oblivion's EPs and Fallout's--although many would argue the latter) or free, none of this shit is worth it.

Remember all that talk of "microtransactions," where you would get something decent for less than a dollar?

Whatever happened to that?

This pre-order exclusive shit has got to stop. Kind of kills the appeal of buying the game later on down the road if you are going to miss out on some characters.

It depends. In the case of Prince of Persia, the limited edition upgrade was a) free, b) the code to unlock the bonus costumes would work on any copy of he game and you could just look it up online anyway, c) you could do it long after the game came out.

OTOH, the Gamestop exclusive Red Hulk was in special copies of the game--not that it really mattered much (a skin's a skin), but it's an annoying practice).

Overall, though, these Limited Editions and Special Editions where you fork over tons extra money is just ridiculous and makes everyone who buys into it look like idiots. Night vision goggles were neat, but that's still a lot of extra expense, and it's not like you couldn't buy them yourself separately. All these useless pieces of plastic like cat helmets and plastic lancers and shit--it makes lots of gamers look like the whiny kids who always bitch they want a happy meal for the crappy useless toys included in them. As long as there is a non-tard pack, it's okay, but does no one get a bit offended the way these companies attempt to exploit all these manchildren with too much money on their hands?

Of course, I'm talking about the 3rd sequel to a mediocre series of games that sells mainly on its license and hasn't evolved at all since the first game, so I guess I should expect nothing less.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm confused with the Juggernaut DLC. They first said it was PS3 exlcusive, and only through GameStop. Now I see a Free DLC on the PSN that has some confusing wording around it. Either it gets you Juggernaut, or you can play with people who have Juggernaut online.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
I'm confused with the Juggernaut DLC. They first said it was PS3 exlcusive, and only through GameStop. Now I see a Free DLC on the PSN that has some confusing wording around it. Either it gets you Juggernaut, or you can play with people who have Juggernaut online.

I think it just allows you to play online with someone who has Juggernaut.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Figures.

So, is Juggernaut a pre-order bonus only with GameStop? Or if I went there and got the game would it come with the code anyway? It's not that big of a deal, but I know my girlfriend wants me to get this for the multi-player aspect so I figure I might as well go where the extra content is.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
What I saw on a game board is that for now Juggernaut is a GameStop exclusive and in a short while, he will be able to be purchased from PSN or Xbox Live. Best Buy was offering a code for Hulk with pre-order, even though Hulk can be unlocked after a few levels of playing apparently.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hulk can be unlocked when you find five "Gamma Mutations" or something. Thor is five Asgardian Runes and Jean is five pices of M'krattian (sp?) tech.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sounds like its the same shit that Wal-Mart pulled with SmackDown! last year. They gave you the codes to unlock Taz, and a bunch of other guys that you would have unlocked as you played through the game anyway.

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Scroby said:
I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for DLC extras (characters, maps, gametypes) but I'm getting really tired of the console exclusive stuff. I mean at first, I really didn't mind it. It sucked that the 360 got something the PS3 didn't get or vica versa but it seemed kind of balanced so it really didn't bother me but now it doesn't seem so balanced anymore. PS3 gets playable Joker stuff in Batman Dark Asylum while currently the 360 version gets crap or there's the PS3 version of Smackdown vs Raw 2010 with Stone Cold as a DLC exclusive which is only a Gamestop pre-order exclusive. Which means if I want to play as Stone Cold I have to not only pre-order my game from Gamestop which is in another city for me, I'd have to get a PS3 before the fucking game came out.

DLC is really starting to bug me with the exclusive bullshit.

When did he become ps3 exclusive?
Ah maybe he's just a Gamestop exclusive but I thought he was also just a PS3 exclusive...my mistake.

El Psycho Diablo

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I like it, but there are enough annoyances that it's just driving me up a wall. It really needs a patch for some of these things.

+
- If you liked the first, you'll probably like this.
- Boss battles are no longer "Do stupid things to force Quick Time Events".
- The camera is improved over the first game.
- Costumes no longer mess with your abilities, so Wolverine will not lose his regeneration because he's got a different outfit.
- Iron Fist. Just..Iron Fist.

-
- If you're in a hosted co-op game, you can't even switch costumes unless the host also has the costume for the character unlocked. You can't even view hero stats or anything unless it's the character you're currently playing. This effectively means that for a two-player game, the host can tweak three characters and you get one. If you trust their choices or the auto level it isn't so bad, but I can't stand it.
- The Auto Level doesn't seem to want to stay off. Combine this with ^ and it's rather annoying.
- The hair models for a lot of people are just awful. Like PS2 game awful.
- The game in general is a little glitchy. Example: Had a boss disappear after a cutscene, leaving us totally unable to finish that level without reloading.
- The camera's tethered too tightly to the other player. If you like exploring for those hidden items, guess what? You have to drag the other players along with you if you move like five feet. You also can't even rotate the damn thing without affecting everyone..I don't quite get it, either.
- The auto save is unreliable. Finished the game, waiting for the other player to get through the credits, they disconnect, I get punted to the menu screen..and get totally screwed. Not even a "Congratulations, you beat the game, would you like to save?" screen. Last auto save is on the
prison
level. Partially my fault, because I'm normally over paranoid and save too often, but..that's just unforgivable.

?
- The voices. Some of them were so perfect in the first game..and are totally different here. I can understand it won't always be the same due to other commitments and the like, but it took what..three years after MUA?
- Some of the roster choices are a little out there, but I imagine they'll nickel and dime us with DLC for all the characters that are already in the game that you can't play for some mysterious reason.
- Only two costumes per player, and some are a little..unusual.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
FYI all, you can straight up buy Juggernaught now as vanilla DLC with no restrictions or pre-order-fucking-bullshit-of-all-time.

Got a copy of MUA2 as a gift, dropped the 2$ on Juggs then enjoyed the MUA standard trope of, "You can't play him till after we set up the story in level one..." crap. Once we got through that much more fun was had. Still this game is victim of a mistake I see more and more of wherein developers make "everything" about the game "better" but fuck it up. Sure the graphics are better, too bad the cut scenes are now stock in game crap and look stiff. Sound and music is bigger and better but the voice actors are amazingly "WTF" versus some of the great work in the original. Fighting game play is tighter for the punchy-kicky crap and the moves are all more thought out and... homogenized(?) it felt more wild, fun and free in the original. Basically they went item by item and made the game "better" and somehow that made it worse. Feels like a case of design trumping fun and, as has been mentioned, they still fuck up and give you way over-the-top super attacks and the game is easy-peasy.

I don't remember thinking the original was a 10 or anything but now this game comes out and makes me think MUA1 was a perfect game. Still, give it a shot if you liked the original as the template is still there, just a lot of changes you may or may not like.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
griffinmills said:
FYI all, you can straight up buy Juggernaught now as vanilla DLC with no restrictions or pre-order-fucking-bullshit-of-all-time.

Thanks for the heads up on Juggernaught. I was planning on buying him as DLC. I have this but haven't even touched this yet because I've been debating finishing the first one, after your review, I'm still trying to decide.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Guess this is the thread to bump but after years of saying it was going to happen, both Ultimate Alliance games have been pulled across all platforms for digital sales - so now may be time to get your hands on discs if you want before prices inflate more.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope they're going to reboot the series like is rumored http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/marvel/261765/square-enixs-marvel-avengers-project-trailer-and-news

The second game is nowhere near as good as the first but I still really enjoyed it overall. MUA1 is one of my favourite fighting games though

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would really like a remaster of the two X-Men Legends games that came before the MUA series. Those were always my favourite.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I only played the 2nd Xmen Legends and I liked it a lot but I had played it after MUA1 so it didn't seem quite as awesome as it might have to me if I'd played it first I think. That said getting remasters of both of those would be great.