Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Best we got was when Zelina and Bianca worked their own angle on Twitch and got it taken away from everyone.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

I'm curious if I dug back into the Apters if Mae Young's name would pop up often. I remember the Penny Banner, June Beyers, Vivian Vachon name drops...but from what I can recall I didn't know of Mae until she showed up on RAW with Moolah
I don't recall hearing much about her in the Apter mags. I did come across an article in a pre-Apter mag from the late 60s where Mae is talking about training women wrestlers at the Olympic in Los Angeles. But except for that A&E doc it had probably been literal decades since Mae had been on television.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Still pisses me off that not a single heel has crashed one of the make a wish events to maul the hero face in a hospital cafeteria.
Picnic.png

Valeyard

Reaction score
I actually was super nervous that Taker would be on that show because I didn't want the weird feeling of the supernatual deadman involved.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is Val being mad that the pink haired jobber became a much bigger star than him the source of his transphobia?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I always feel guilty now for watching 80s Baba and thinking "What shite".
I'll never forget watching Road Warriors vs Baba/Jumbo 20 plus years ago and being appalled at how RW's work Jumbo with the smashing style they are known for and then Baba comes in and everything goes into gentle slow motion.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Baba was great for a guy who could move like a deer on ice. He was a smart enough worker to where it overshadowed his actual limitations, like Andre. The run with Hansen in the 94 Real World Tag League is genuinely awesome and not just because of Hansen.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Cole, Dr. Tom, and Monsoon calling a Kane/Meat match and promoting the Jarrett/Chyna Good Housekeeping match is extremely hard to wrap my head around. Match isn't as bad as I thought, either.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Little Jeannie was a fairly active women’s wrestler on the indies through out the ‘00s but she is forgotten she didn’t have a run in any of the cool indies promotions. Idk if cool indies were giving women’s wrestling all that much more of a spotlight than WWE. @Laz

You stumped me with Dee Dee Venturi but looking at her Cagematch, it looks like she had a few WWF tryouts in ‘01 and was in the legendary Women’s Extreme Wrestling. TIL there was a WEW PPV that featured Bill Alfonso nudity, if you are into naked, toothless old carnies.

@BruiserBrody : I see enough of that at work.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Little Jeannie was a fairly active women’s wrestler on the indies through out the ‘00s but she is forgotten she didn’t have a run in any of the cool indies promotions. Idk if cool indies were giving women’s wrestling all that much more of a spotlight than WWE. @Laz
The "cool indies" being ROH and CZW, presumably, didn't have many women to give spots to, but did make attempts on occasion. ROH partnered with SHIMMER early on, but there were only so many truly talented female wrestlers on the scene at the time that running some combo of MsChif, Simply Luscious, Sara Del Rey, Mercedes Martinez, Sumie Sakai, Daizee Haze, and Allison Danger on constant was bound to make fans care even less.

So let's not kid ourselves and acknowledge that TNA's Knockouts division was the real big spark that made people treat women's wrestling seriously in the US.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even the Knockouts Division didn’t start until 2007. North American women’s wrestling in the early-mid ‘00s lends credence to the phrase “It’s always darkest before the dawn.”

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
TNA were the first "big" promotion to take women's wrestling seriously (though they'll never recieve credit for ir it) but it wasn't until the early 2010s with NXT heating up that really put everyone on notice. Yes, there were other promotions highlighting it at the time but Paige, Emma, Charlotte, Sasha etc. carried the torch early on.

Or you can listen to history and see that Stephanie McMahon invented it.