Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

If it has a timestamp ignore it. Long tights Warrior and Herman The German is something.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Went down a YouTube rabbit hole for Jerry Flynn and saw he worked a few job matches for WWE in the mid-90s including this one against Rad Radford, Vince's belated answer to the grunge music scene of the early 90s. Louie Spiccoli gave it his all, though.

This match features another angle I completely forgot about, Undertaker's "Creatures of the Night".

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
@BruiserBrody and @Laz do a double take
At least that was 12 years after their feud. I still want to know how Baba justified Jim Brunzell and Nick Bockwinkel teaming at one of the tag tournaments when their AWA stuff would have been seen in Japan.
---

If WAR was still around, they would basically be booking the Saudi WWE main events it appears. I'm in.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tatsumi Fujinami defended the IWGP Heavyweight Title in Memphis in December of '88. I'm assuming this was somehow tied into his cameo at SuperClash III. @BruiserBrody ?

Even weirder though he showed up in ECW during the Eastern days. I'm sure Fujinami was psyched to have an opportunity to wrestle in a sports bar.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tatsumi Fujinami defended the IWGP Heavyweight Title in Memphis in December of '88. I'm assuming this was somehow tied into his cameo at SuperClash III. @BruiserBrody ?

Even weirder though he showed up in ECW during the Eastern days. I'm sure Fujinami was psyched to have an opportunity to wrestle in a sports bar.
I've heard/read that Fujinami was used as a bargaining chip as WCCW told Lawler, Verne, whoever that they'd put the WCCW title on the Dragon and ruin the SuperClash main event.

Early ECW was also able to lure Stan Hansen into a rare North American appearance after his WCW run. I think it was Sabu and Hawk vs Hansen and Bundy??????

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just checked my notes. Apparently Fujinami was in the US as part of a power struggle to overthrow Inoki in New Japan. He worked the Grappler in Portland for the PNW title, and Kerry in Texas. He beat Kerry but it was a Dusty Finish. He also beat the Grappler, but Don Owens then pretended the Grappler went to Japan and won the title back.

By early 1989 Inoki is announcing that he and Fujinami would team to face the USSR Olympic wrestler as main event in Sacramento. Fujinami wrecks his back in Summer (is this the Vader injury?) and is out of action for a good bit.
---

Looks like this was what I was thinking: November to Remember 93

Sabu
(c - World Heavyweight) and Road Warrior Hawk defeated Terry Funk (c - World Television) and King Kong Bundy

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Do Chef Boyardee commercials count as matches? The Hardy Boyz Vs Christopher Daniels and some guy I can't recognize but maybe Laz will now?
Gotta be honest, I even watched the 3 minute "making of" vignette for the commercial and I cannot tell who the fuck the other guy is. Has to be some other SoCal worker of the day, and I'm not particularly well-versed on late 90s/early 00s SoCal indies beyond XPW and PWG.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember Armageddon (they were the Truth Commission minus Kurrgan) but have no recollection of the Pitbulls working WWE TV.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Between the Sheets mentioned 2 "Shows I didn't think existed" this week:
Dec 88-

Leon White (Vader) promoted a show in Colorado with Scott McGee vs Col Debeers, Rocky Mountain Thunder (Greg Boyd), Dr Death vs Buddy Rose (Death skipped an NWA date because he didn’t want to fly to Amarillo so he worked close to home) Plus the SST, Kokina Maximus (Yoko) faced Leon White in the main event.
----

Music legend James Brown worked the Dec 4th "AWA Wrestlerock" show in Augusta, Georgia as part of his probation for drug possession, etc. Brown had to pony up 40 K of his own money to put on the show.
No line up, but the newspaper states Michael Hayes and the Rock and Roll Express worked. Bix and the others speculated this wasn't an AWA show other than maybe having the name licensed. AWA had been booking JCP towns to take advantage of having Wahoo, Manny, the Express and others on their roster. Verne wasn't paying for most shows that the AWA ran. He had a deal set up for a promoter to pay the AWA 20 grand to put on a show and then promoter and Verne would split revenues after the 20k was raised. This show drew 400 fans. Brown only sang 2 songs.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I seriously don't think Verne had any idea who James Brown was and that interaction would've been incredible.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Dubai, United Arab Emirates - SportsClub Outdoor Stadium - November 30, 1996
Included several Survivor Series style elimination matches

WWF @ Dubai, United Arab Emirates - SportsClub Outdoor Stadium - December 1, 1996
Bret Hart won a 20-man battle royal; other participants included: Aldo Montoya, Barry Horowitz, TL Hopper, Justin Bradshaw, Barry Windham, Rocky Maivia, Crush, Farooq, WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Davey Boy Smith, Henry & Phinneas Godwinn, WWF World Champion Psycho Sid, Bob Holly, Vader, Steve Austin, the Undertaker, Mankind, & the Executioner

I want to fantasy book this!

===
WWF @ Springfield, IL - Prairie Capital Convention Center - October 11, 1989
Ted Dibiase pinned Bob Orton Jr.

Hillbilly Jim missed a date so Bob Orton Jr was called into action one more time after almost 2 years away from the WWF. Orton was likely busting his ass to try and get a gig, so I bet this may have been a real banger.