Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I've cited this match a few times when Garza comes up. The WWF mag tried to give the luchadores a nice write up and talked about how Garza was "the Mexican Shawn Michaels" and then THAT booking happens.

At worst they should have done tags and had him working the newly forming Body Donnas, Rockers, Owen/Bulldog, etc

I believe I was disappointed when he showed up in WCW a few months later but remained a fan.

I know I have in one of my fantasy booking notebooks from the time a WWF where Mark Henry is WWF champ in 1997 and Cybernetico/Pierroth are tag champs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I knew Leon Spinks dabbled in rasslin during his hard fall to the gutter (Inoki defending that quasi MMA belt that stemmed from the Ali debacle against him, an FMW cameo) but I just looked at his Cagematch profile. He did THREE lengthy tours of FMW from '91 to '93 plus he wrestled Jerry Lawler at the Mid South Coliseum in 1990.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Owen Hart and Ricky Morton teaming in WCW. Morton teaming with anyone other than Gibson will always be weird to me.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
22.04.1978 National Wrestling Alliance Lou Thesz defeats Leroy Rochester
NWA Mid-America - Event @ Memorial Auditorium in Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA

JYD vs Lou Thesz hurts my brain.
Thesz defended his NWA title against Happy Humphrey. Young JYD was probably far from the worst wrestler he ever encountered.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thesz defended his NWA title against Happy Humphrey. Young JYD was probably far from the worst wrestler he ever encountered.
I love me some JYD since I was 3. Every time I dig into Thesz' late career in the south after his $$$ situation went bad, I seem to come away surprised by something.

His last NWA title match appears to be vs Brisco, and Thesz wrestling Race for the title is actually on film. Both were when he was in his early 50s. He's later 50s by the time he's just working the loop vs nobodies. I would expect Lou's late career to look more like Harley's 1989-90 run where he dips into a lot of promotions, works a headline match and moves on to the next score. (Which I suppose was what his early 50s run was, as he dipped into towns for title matches and got out.)

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s footage out there as it was listed as a dark match but I stumbled across tonight that prior to a Smackdown taping in June 2006, CM Punk and Corey Graves worked as a tag team. While both would end up achieving success in different ways in WWE, they lost that night. To The Gymini.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF / New Japan / All Japan Wrestling Summit @ Tokyo, Japan - Tokyo Dome - April 13, 1990 (53,742)
Dan Kroffat, Joe Malenko, & Doug Furnas defeated Samson Fuyuki, Toshiaki Kawada, & Tatsumi Kitihara when Kroffat pinned Kitahara with a Tiger Driver at 11:56
Jushin Liger pinned Akira Nogami with a moonsault press at 8:37
Jimmy Snuka & Tito Santana defeated Masa Fuchi & Kenta Kobashi at 8:28 when Snuka pinned Fuchi with the splash off the top following the flying forearm and a bodyslam from Santana, with Santana hitting the flying forearm on Kobashi when he attempted to break the cover; Fuchi & Kobashi used Kenny Loggins' "Highway to the Danger Zone" as their entrance music; Shane McMahon was the referee for the bout
Tiger Mask II fought Bret Hart to a 20-minute time-limit draw; the bell rang as Tiger Mask ducked a clothesline and covered Hart with a crossbody (Bret Hitman Hart: The Dungeon Collection)
The Great Kabuki pinned Greg Valentine with a modified inside cradle at 7:16 as Valentine attempted to apply the figure-4; Valentine came to the ring in his Rythem & Blues attire and used Roxette's "She's Got the Look" as his entrance music; Shane McMahon was the referee for the bout
Jake Roberts pinned the Big Bossman with the DDT at 10:25 after floating over a bodyslam attempt; Bossman came to the ring to his babyface entrance music but played the heel in the match; after the contest, Jake briefly covered Bossman with Damien before leaving the ring; Earl Hebner was the referee for the bout
IWGP Tag Team Champions Masa Saito & Shinya Hashimoto defeated Riki Choshu & Masa Chono when Saito pinned Chono following a backdrop suplex
Jumbo Tsuruta & Haku defeated Mr. Perfect & Rick Martel at 10:53 when Tsuruta pinned Martel with a running kneelift and a back suplex; Haku was referred to as King Haku during the bout
Genichiro Tenryu pinned Randy Savage (w/ Sensational Sherri) with an enzuiguri and powerbomb at 10:49 after Savage injured his knee attempting a flying crossbody
WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior pinned Ted Dibiase with a flying clothesline and the splash at 6:11; Earl Hebner was the referee for the bout (World Tour, Ultimate Warrior: The Ultimate Collection)
Giant Baba & Andre the Giant defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition in a non-title match when Andre pinned Smash with an elbowdrop following a kick to the chest by Baba at 6:39
Hulk Hogan pinned Stan Hansen (sub. for Terry Gordy) with the axe bomber at 12:32 after a boot to the face; as he made his way into the ring, Hansen knocked down ring announcer Mel Phillips as Phillips introduced him; Earl Hebner was the referee for the bout (Hulkamania 6)
---
Japan was treated to former stars getting a win over their country men, then Greg Valentine getting a match while in the middle of tag team purgatory, with a silly gimmick, topped off with a wacky choice of music!

I seem to recall that even with Dibiase being the hand picked choice to get a match out of Warrior, and only having to go 6 mins, that the match SUCKED. I may have to check my CXF review to confirm.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can't wait to watch after work and find out if there's an epic confrontation between Harvey Whippleman and Uncle Zebekiah.
It’s worth spending your bathroom break on your phone for this, my dude.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure if that was worth faking diarrhea tbh. They just kind of yelled at each other a bit.

Was it just me or did one of the Harris Brothers do a Heil Hitler motion when they won? Jfc. How did those Nazi fucks get so many jobs (and almost buy Impact!)?

That Lex Luger Vs King Kong Bundy match must have been complete ASS!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Regal at his lowest in a match I would seriously think could be great.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Oh shit. My being a mark for Severn is paying off.

Valeyard

Reaction score
There was a lowkey awesome lightweight division happening around then that never made TV. I think Lynn only made Raw once in some multi-man.