Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matt Hardy: [DELETE] The World

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Well...

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/03/the-young-bucks-appear-in-new-matt-hardy-video-667331/

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Matt Hardy taking credit for something that already existed (Boiler Room Brawl and King of the Road say hi) and then claiming that it saved the business when the further implementation of the cinematic match has a correlation with an even further declining audience is 2020.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric Bischoff and Conrad tried to claim the AWA Team Challenge Series was an early influence on the era of cinematic matches.

@Laz and/or @BruiserBrody : Yeah and it had about as much positive effect on the business.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Matt Hardy taking credit for something that already existed (Boiler Room Brawl and King of the Road say hi) and then claiming that it saved the business when the further implementation of the cinematic match has a correlation with an even further declining audience is 2020.
You can even go back to 1987 for Saito vs Inoki's Island Death Match and in its own way, the Funk/Lawler Empty arena match. Plus Japan had a bunch of nutty location matches for DDT or whatever that promotion was called.

Hell, I booked matches with Hillbilly Jim's thumb wrestler and my Little People barn toys in 1992!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I read this thread in its entirety once a year or so and it's really fun to see TSM collectively going from "Matt Hardy fuckin' sucks" to "Well, actually he can be kind of entertaining" to "No. He just fuckin sucks now" to "Wait. Is Matt Hardy good now?" to "HOLY SHIT WE ALL LOVE MATT HARDY" (@Laz : Not me!) to "Matt Hardy isn't as good in WWE as he is in TNA." to "Matt Hardy's schtick is getting old." back to "Matt Hardy fuckin' sucks." again.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I know no one watches BTE but me, but you guys should probably be able to tell he's working a gimmick in that tweet either way. "The truth is the truth" is his catchphrase for his heelish, out-of-touch, old-timer who talks about who great he and his brother were back in their day.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm a regular BTE viewer and yeah, Matt's trying a new gimmick similar to what RVD was doing in Impact right before he left. Taking credit for everything that's popular in wrestling today and gloating about how he influenced all current talent.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know no one watches BTE but me, but you guys should probably be able to tell he's working a gimmick in that tweet either way. "The truth is the truth" is his catchphrase for his heelish, out-of-touch, old-timer who talks about who great he and his brother were back in their day.
So we are back to his pre Broken, heel TNA World Champion era gimmick. Like I said, Idk if anyone in wrestling has ever had a more cyclical career than Matt Hardy. Other than main eventing a super massive WWE show or hold a major World Title (sorry '08 WWECW and 2015-16 Impact), he's done pretty much everything there is to do in wrestling.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont watch that terrible shit and i was picking up on it just from reading the tweet and him saying the companies survived because of him.

Really the current cinematic stuff is all pretty obviously directly influenced by the stuff he was doing in TNA rather than any earlier stuff. I fucking WISH we got some King of the Road! That was silly but creative!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's an urban legend IIRC that there's a cut of the King of the Road match that actually rules. Which would surprise but not shock me.

I feel like crappiness of that match in 99.9% because of its presentation.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I feel like it would be heralded as an instant classic today because standards have bottomed these past few years.