Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Microsoft Prattle v2

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can you tell us what the exclusives were since they never did?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was just going by HSJ's post above:

HSJ said:
15 NEW EXCLUSIVES....8 NEW FRANCHISES....SOME OF WHICH INCLUDE

Call of Duty
Madden
Fifa
UFC
NBA
Forza

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was a joke only forza is exclusive. They said 15 in year one, 8 of which are new IPs. And then they showed 15 seconds of a new remedy game that wasnt Alan wake. That leaves 7 new IPs...and most of the sequels that they never got around to announcing.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EA games aren't exclusive. FIFA Ultimate Team will either be completely exclusive or have exclusive tie ins.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ahh, okay, there's still hope then. I know I am getting a PS4 for sure.. my main reasoning for purchasing the new Xbox as well would be the exclusives (hopefully find out at E3 then?) and playing multiplayer games with some of my friends who are more into MS stuff than Sony stuff.

The d-pad change on the controller is great though!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like I'd be more hopeful if I believed that their conference at e3 will be all about games...it almost has to be at this point...but honestly I think they're just going to show off that your xbox will say "bless you" when the kinect hears you sneeze. That will take 45 minutes.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
They fucking did it: Used games will cost money to activate on your system.

Source: The entire Internet

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Some games will use the Azure cloud infrastructure to offload computational tasks.

These games, therefore, will require an internet connection.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thoth said:
Ugh!

bps21 said:
I think they're just going to show off that your xbox will say "bless you" when the kinect hears you sneeze. That will take 45 minutes.

LIRL!!!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think what annoys me is what they take for granted vs. what they should take for granted. They seem to operate under the (probably correct) assumption that everyone basically realizes that 98% of games are the same on both systems so instead let's show you all the wonky shit the device can do. In truth they should take for granted that we all know their device is going to do wonky shit because they are the wonky shit device doing company. Show me the other 2% of games. It's all we care about.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
It would have been nice to hear if A. the Kinect will be required to be connected for the system to work and B. if this new Kinect works in living rooms that aren't the size of football fields.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Crazy Smues in Space said:
It would have been nice to hear if A. the Kinect will be required to be connected for the system to work and B. if this new Kinect works in living rooms that aren't the size of football fields.

No confirmation on the former, the current belief is the answer is yes. On the latter, they did say it doesn't need as much space to recognize you.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kinect is MANDATORY for XB1. An Xbox rep in the UK revealed as much at some big UK reveal event. IIRC, I saw it via IGNs twitter account.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Thoth said:

Source: The entire Internet

You mean that Wired report that seemed more speculative than anything else? MS denied it and sent a correction.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Holy fuck... http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe if the games were less than 60 bucks this wouldn't be a big deal...but yeah, more than just GameFly is going to suffer. Gamestop and such are screwed, because that's a large part of their profits.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

-Major Nelson

Maybe they're finally allowing you to migrate your profile as a solve to this. Or this is a brilliantly worded answer to confuse and screw you. Since it's all about the cloud now...it shouldn't be the horrific event that moving your profile is.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
So let's see:
No used games/games lock to one console - APPEARS TO BE TRUE
Kinect must be connected to work - TRUE
Must always be connected to the internet - FALSE, but only partially because you have to connect at least once a day and may need to be connected for some game

I really love my Xbox 360, so this just makes me that much sadder. There's just...I just can't justified getting the Xbox One with all that bullshit. FUCK.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The last one is the ultimate deal breaker for me. When I go on the road for work I stay at alot of hotels that either don't have wifi or have it set up in such an ass backwards way that my 360 can't connect to it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I doubt that they even know how it will be implemented fully at this point. I assume Harrison's point was that if you bring a game to a friend's and they want their own copy, then they can just pay the fee to "unlock" it on their account since it'll already be installed on their system. Definitely a muddled message today.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Good thing I watched on my PC:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal
Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream.

Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely. Polygon's own reviews editors Arthur Gies experienced similar problems with his Kinect while watching the stream.

picard-facepalm.jpg

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rather than clarifying what they're not yet clarifying, they should really just come out and clarify. At a certain point, the FUD is going to kill them, no matter what the actual truth is. With all the inconsistent shit today, even waiting 3 weeks to E3 is too much.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I don't understand this at all. This is like the biggest slap in the face you can make to consumers who have been saying no to many of these things they've stated. Its practically begging them to take their wallets elsewhere with those guys.

And for people who are "where are the games crowd", this did nothing. Saying 7 new IPs is one thing, but show us the new titles. Give us like the name of the games, who's working on them, something!

Way to go Microsoft~!

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crazy Smues in Space said:
Good thing I watched on my PC:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal
Xbox 360 Kinect owners had some trouble today watching Microsoft's Xbox One reveal due to device's response to "Xbox" commands spoken during the livestream.

Several users took to Twitter to document their problems, which included pausing, opening Xbox Live or quitting the stream entirely. Polygon's own reviews editors Arthur Gies experienced similar problems with his Kinect while watching the stream.

picard-facepalm.jpg

I tweeted about it. Fucking assholes.