Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Microwave vs. Conventional Oven vs. BBQ Grill

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
Ever since my father passed away on May 31st, 2017, my mother and I have cooked stuff like burger patties and bratwursts on either my mother's new Blackstone BBQ Grill or my personal favorite which happens to be the broiler which is a part of the Conventional Oven. I've known how to use a Microwave Oven, and recently, I've managed to use the Conventional Oven and the broiler that we use to cook burger patties and bratwursts.

Between the Grill and the Conventional Oven, I like the oven much more than the grill. What do you guys think?

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m a grill guy myself. Stuff like brats and burgers also cooks well on the stove in a pinch.

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
I plan on cooking a few burgers and brats (which are in the freezer in my garage) in the next few weeks. Before you know it, the freezer will soon have enough room in the freezer for more food that my mother and I can store in our freezer.

Dandy

Reaction score
I am an outdoor grill man due to the fat and juice drainage; the rising flame that gets that Maillard reaction (browning of the meat) and subsequent flavor; and the high temperatures you can reach and not have to worry about smoke indoors.

Indoors, I prefer stove top in a cast iron, but there is a lot of fat and grease splatter and you often need a good vent exhaust overtop.

I do not like the broiler in the oven because of the cleanup. I have never, ever used it to cook burgers because years ago I had a roommate do it that way and I had to clean up after him. You could not pay me to do that. Totally unnecessary if I can get the searing and doneness that I want on some sort of grill/skillet.

It is also easier to add cheese and/or sautéed vegetables to the burgers in a skillet, and I transfer my brats into a beer and butter solution in a pot where I have my peppers and onions cooking. This is the way.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
For me, I think it all about what I am choosing to make. If I’m doing burgers, I like the grill or even one of those electronic grill/ griddles that are really good for making pancakes can help me do a decent burger in a hurry.

I‘ve found myself branching out more with my cooking since the virus stuff started. I haven’t done any takeout or anything, which led to me finding recipes for different things. Most of the variety I have found calls for the oven or stovetop or both, so I guess I cook more that way these days, however my tool of choice really goes hand in hand with what I am making.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Outdoor grill until the temperature drops into single digits.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Seconding Dandy's affection for skillets on the stove top. If you season the burgers at all, the flavors will stay in better than a grill, and broilers are just...eh.

Dandy

Reaction score
Hard to beat. I have a large skillet; square grill with the elevated stripes; reversible grill/griddle (rectangle); and 7QT Dutch oven. I am in the process of reorganizing my kitchen storage areas to make room for more.