Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Probably the best game I've played so far this year. It's the Batman Arkham game engine set in Mordor. Just thousands and thousands of orcs to slay in creative ways, etc. Good acting, good story... Gollum is part of the story. Also, the nemesis system is truly unique and original and makes even random encounters a ton of fun.

Best "movie" video game ever and legit one of the best games I've played in a long time. I'm not even close to done with either and if I remember from the Batman games the missions only get better and more elaborate the further you go.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ive wasted hours collecting and doing sidequests/surviving strongholds that i forgot about the main story quests.

Probably my top game of 2014 so far.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Keep hearing great stuff but not finding time to play anything, so I didn't pick it up. Best Buy has it on sale for $49.99 right now, so with the Gamers Club I can grab it for $40... but I still want to get NBA 2K15 and the new Borderlands first, so I am thinking I may wait to see if it gets cheaper on Black Friday.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
It's such a fun game. The nemesis system makes even dicking around and running around the map fun cause there is always a captain to go after. I feel like I'm about half way through the story and the main missions keep getting more fun.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I had a goal to 100% this game but since I finished the main story that goal has kind of just disappeared.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I ordered this yesterday from my Best Buy early access to Black Friday. Sale price plus Gamer Club discount netted the Xbox One copy for $19.99.

Looking forward to it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
The setting doesn't interest me in the least, but the Nemesis system sounds interesting, everyone seems to be giving it GOTY props this week and Amazon has it for $40 so why not?

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hate everything about LOTR, but this game is awesome. Well worth it, especially how cheap it is right now.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My son got this for me for Christmas. I haven't played anything except the beginning (he wanted to see me play it) because I'm getting close to finishing GTA 5.

It's a little overwhelming at first but I think it'll be fun.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I just finished dragon age will I like this game or is it too similar?

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
The Nemesis system reminds me of the Deck of 52 from the first Mercenaries game, but they kill each other too.

I do admit, finding the weakness of that little archer fuck that killed me twice and then putting an arrow through his fucking head is pretty cool.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I've come across a pretty annoying bug where a Captain isn't in the area he should be. He's a Warchief bodyguard so I really would like to kill him. Unity's bustedness didn't get in the way of actual gameplay like this is doing to me.

And exactly how the hell am I supposed to fight someone in a stronghold with 50 guys swarming around?

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Uruks seemingly spawning out of nowhere even after you take down all the guys you see around your target is really annoying. Especially when that target is invulnerable to ranged AND stealth.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Aside from that one thing I haven't had any problems. I missed that one of the "perks" of the enemy I was fighting was summoning more followers. I definitely get why people are loving this game and hope more games steal this Nemesis system; a Mercenaries-style game where you can send generals at each other and then just kill the one that wins the fight would be fucking awesome.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Once I got the unlimited executions for 25 seconds skills I went looking for fights. I would just wreck people. Made it easier to take down War Chiefs too. Combat is just so much fun. It's a bit tough early on, but once you start getting some extra skills and powers... your character is pretty much an unstoppable badass.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Well that was a lame.....can you even call it a final boss "fight"? Says all you need to know about gaming in 2014 when the consensus GOTY has a really shit ending.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah the final boss fight that was essentially a series of quick time events was the one awful thing about the game. It just seemed tacked on. Not sure what happened, but was a big letdown especially with the two big battles prior.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I just started this game and I'm way too easily distracted trying to find artifacts and the symbols while also killing captains. I've only done two story missions, but now the map is completely open and it's overwhelming.

The side quests for the weapons are fun, but the Outcast missions are difficult because I suck at sneaking and I get overwhelmed in the camps.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
God damn I suck at this game. I'm just getting murdered left and right. I can't seem to beat any captains or war chiefs.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I beat this. I struggled with it at first. I got killed constantly. Then I leveled up and started killing everything in site by countering, getting my hit streak up and doing executions.
I'm sad it's over.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The sequel is officially announced with the title Middle-Earth: Shadow of War