Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Mike Myers is BACK, BABY!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Keegan-Michael Key but man Myers and Jeong are so incredibly annoying in anything but the smallest of doses.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s probably cause I’m a millennial but I will maintain Mike Myers was actually pretty good up through the early ‘00s. Hopefully all this time off will produce a Sandler-esque renaissance.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
robinwilliamswhatyearisit.gif

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Absolutely Fabulous is a show that exists. The little I've seen makes me indifferent, except for that episode of Roseanne which was the worst.

I got no faith in this because I just don't like Mike Myers anymore. I blame Goldmember.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still like Myers up until The Spy Who Shagged Me (As a kid I could feel my love of juvenile humor going away while watching Fat Bastard drink diarrhea), but what sets him apart from Sandler is that he's such a bigger jerk. Everyone who worked with him on movies like The Love Guru or Cat In The Hat has a story about him treating people like garbage and being a control freak. Maybe he's softened and The Love Guru bombing put his ego in check, but it's been a long time since I've liked him in anything.

I feel like the premise and cast in this plays into his faults and this could be as obnoxious as Goldmember or Love Guru or most anything he's made since 1998. Oh Behave, indeed.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I liked the first Austin Powers movie and the first Wayne's World. I vaguely remember kinda liking the 2nd Austin Powers, but it's been forever since I've seen it. I remember not liking the 3rd at all.

Then he got that Disney money from Shrek and basically retired. I hadn't heard that he was a dick, but not surprising. With that said I do have a bit of a soft spot for him because he was an early supporter of The Kids in the Hall.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll throw some love to So I Married An Ax Murderer. It's not Wayne's World or Austin Powers, but it's a solid rom com with some really funny scenes.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about him just being a psychological mess with an ego.

Best movie is still Inglourious Bastards.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I was never a big Myers guy. I'm not big on Austin Powers and every preview for the Love Guru looked awful.

Now Dana Carvey is a guy who got the short end of the stick. Sucks that the Master of Disguise killed his career dead in the water.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dana Carvey's lack of post SNL career is baffling. I know he had his health issues in the late '90s/early '00s. As beloved as it is now, The Dana Carvey Show probably doomed his career and him choosing Master of Disguise as his comeback vehicle after aforementioned health problems sank whatever goodwill was left over.

Wonder how things would've been different if he took the offer to replace Letterman as host of Late Night in '93.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, Dana is way too talented to have had the post SNL he's had. Fortunately he's seemed to have a bit of a resurgence in the podcast era.

Also, I think Myers has been humbled a bit in the last decade or so. He was pretty much a nightmare to work with in his prime

Valeyard

Reaction score
Myers not having Carvey's back and just letting him have even a small part in Goldmember or something to offset Master OF Disguise existing has always rubbed me the wrong way. Without him, Myers doesn't make it. You gotta do him of all people a solid.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dana Carvey nearly walked off the set of both Wayne's World movies cause he was bummed about being Mike's 2nd fiddle. I'm glad they were able to eventually recognize each other's talent in past decade or so but butting heads so often probably hurt their own careers. Where would Adam Sandler be without his lackeys? Virtuosos rarely have long term success in comedy. You got to let people know that you have friends IRL. Or else you're turn into Jerry Lewis. Or Mike Myers!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd really hope 2000 or whatever Carvey didn't give that much of a fuck and take the rub.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm guessing '00s Mike Myers was too much of a dick to help an old co-worker out. Really how often have other SNL castmembers shown up in Mike Myers movies? Whereas Sandler's movies are filled with SNL alums, even semi-obscure ones.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Carvey makes sense, though. I'd be legit pissed if he was wedging Victoria Jackson or someone into all his movies at the expense of the guy who helped make him. But that kind of thing is a big deal to me. I can't stand Sandler but he's the most loyal guy in the business.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given like the last 20 years of his career, Myers hasn't done anything good (Tarantino film aside, and of course Tarantino deserves the credit there), so I can't imagine being excited about this. Casting Ken Jeong is basically waving a white flag.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Ken Jeong's only good work was as Chang, and it was truly great.

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I thought that Goldmember wasn't bad. At the very least, the faux trailer at the start was hilarious, and Beyoncé as Foxy Cleopatra...well, you know.

And Wayne's World is still incredible.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I've watched it within the last year and Wayne's World absolutely holds up. I remember seeing it opening night in 92. Maybe the most electric theater crowd I've ever been apart of. One of the most fun nights of my junior high years (probably less than 5 total tbh).

And I didn't think Goldmember was that bad either although I haven't seen in probably over a decade

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah Wayne's World is a classic. I watched it late last year and almost all of the jokes still land and I was laughing throughout. It lacks the datedness and mean spirited vibe a lot of old comedies have.

Reactions: 909

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wasn't the issue between them also because Dana said Meyers stole Dr. Evil from his impression of Lorne?

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Wayne's World is a classic. I watched it late last year and almost all of the jokes still land and I was laughing throughout. It lacks the datedness and mean spirited vibe a lot of old comedies have.

The second one also isn't that bad by the sequel standard. It's no Ace Ventura 2 but it's good enough.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When I think about it I think Goldmember was better than The Spy That Shagged Me, which I thought was pretty terrible honestly

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was going to be a Sprockets movie sometime in the late 90s with Myers and Will Ferrell. Myers had written the script and there was even a director attached but when Austin Powers became a big hit the movie was dropped in favor of doing the sequels

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ferrell gave us his best work in that time period with "A Night At The Roxbury" so he did good.

Last edited: