Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Mike Tyson Vs Roy Jones Jr thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ALLEGEDLY a $20 million guaranteed offer from Bare Knuckle Fight Club (whatever that is) for Mike Tyson to have his first professional fight in 15 years against fellow former heavyweight champ (on a much lower level)/minor viral video sensation Shannon Briggs in a bareknuckle fight.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Francois Botha is still around, someone call him up to fight someone on this too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's maybe a 25% chance this actually happens and that might be a generous estimate. But that's more of a chance of a Tyson comeback than anytime in past decade.

He looked damn good for his age in that training video. I wasn't joking in the general Boxing thread when I said he should probably just do an actual pro wrestling match. There's a chance they'll be able to protect his scrambled 53 year old brains there. Not possible in a bareknuckle brawl.

Shannon Briggs also suggested that him and Tyson will team up in a TAG TEAM BAREKNUCKLE BRAWL against the Klitschko Brothers, which I would definitely buy on PPV with Pops Kamala.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrFO7Mj84hQ

Rematch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
There's maybe a 25% chance this actually happens and that might be a generous estimate. But that's more of a chance of a Tyson comeback than anytime in past decade.

He looked damn good for his age in that training video. I wasn't joking in the general Boxing thread when I said he should probably just do an actual pro wrestling match. There's a chance they'll be able to protect his scrambled 53 year old brains there. Not possible in a bareknuckle brawl.

Shannon Briggs also suggested that him and Tyson will team up in a TAG TEAM BAREKNUCKLE BRAWL against the Klitschko Brothers, which I would definitely buy on PPV with Pops Kamala.

If it's just washed up heavyweight boxers from the 2000's I would watch this shit in a heartbeat. Bring in David Tua, Chris Byrd, John Ruiz, Hasim Rahman and Nikolai Valuev.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
I said he should probably just do an actual pro wrestling match. There's a chance they'll be able to protect his scrambled 53 year old brains there.
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1260746710365634560
HECK. YES!

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Tito would probably take him down and kill him. But if Tyson learns how to use his footwork to take him out of position for takedowns, he can put the fear of God in Tito and KO him. Boxers have underrated clinch games, so even if Tito makes contact he can still block him off and step away. bah gawd I think I'm convincing myself that Tyson could do it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Tito is probably more concussed than Mike Tyson and I think he probably takes Tito more seriously than Tito takes him.

YPOV, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE ON IRON MIKE! LET'S ALL GET BEHIND HIM, MAN!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What are the odds that Tyson goes Branco Cikatic on Tito's first takedown attempt and just grabs the cage and starts elbowing brain stem

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Art of Rasslin' said:
Tito would probably take him down and kill him. But if Tyson learns how to use his footwork to take him out of position for takedowns, he can put the fear of God in Tito and KO him. Boxers have underrated clinch games, so even if Tito makes contact he can still block him off and step away. bah gawd I think I'm convincing myself that Tyson could do it.

I don't think Tyson is going to learn takedown defense at 53 years old.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
he doesn't need to learn anything, he just needs to apply what he already has.

tenor.gif

nE_HxT.gif

holly holm is not a world class judoka, but she still managed to keep ronda rousey off of her in the clinch because she was a world class boxer. she also could avoid contact with the footwork as you can see in the first gif. Mike tyson can do the same, brother.

Staff member
Reaction score
Um I think this was a smokescreen for him doing a wrestling match.

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1264637671445594112

Put him in a tag match please and let the man do his shit.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man maybe in a year or two they finally book the dream match of the 2000's except do it as a wrestling match. TYSON VS SAPP

Staff member
Reaction score
In an ideal world you'd book something like

Mike Tyson vs. Luchasaurus vs. Wardlow vs. Archer vs. Brodie Lee vs. Brian Cage

Just throw all the size in one match

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I'll be there to watch it. Roy still was fairly active recently so I think he should out point Mike maybe, who knows. This is still sort of surreal to read, but I can't wait to watch.

Also Kamala, I'm shocked you didn't mention the undercard fight of Jake Paul vs NBA STAR NATE THE GREAT ROBINSON. CMON NATE YOU CAN DO IT!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From what I understand, it is an exhibition match, meaning no winner or loser (I think). So I would expect RJJ to just jab Tyson to death while Tyson tries (vainly?) to temper the power on his punches.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Has there been an "exhibition" bout in modern boxing history that wasn't a complete farce? And we're about to the point where the in-ring public depantsing of both Jones and Tyson can legally drive. So I guess mark me as slightly negative on this one?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tyson's claim to have not taken a lot of punches during his career is, as they said on Independence Day, not entirely accurate. Prior to Buster Douglas, it was right. After Buster knocked him out he and Razor Ruddock punched each other silly, twice. He took a terrible beating in the first Holyfield fight. He was completely shopworn after the Lewis ko. And then he got stopped by 2 tomato cans in his last fights.

Jones had such a weird career. He avoided so many fights during his prime years. And then, because he was such a preternatural talent (and rarely prone to show his killer instinct, as it were), the fights he did take often ended up boring and kept him from being the kind of ppv draw he wanted to be. Then, when his skills faded and he became all too punch-able, he fought better opposition at light heavy, finally fought Calzaghe, and gave Hopkins a rematch. Now, when he should've been in Canastota for at least the last 5 years (instead of most recently fighting in 2018) he's going to have an exhibition match with Tyson. Weird.

Hopefully as an exhibition, maybe with headgear and such, it will be safe. It will definitely be boring and pointless. I expect a huge buyrate and considerable appeal to the Mayweather-McGregor audience.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rubes will have to wait until November for the Jones-Tyson thing.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
A LOT of people online in comment sections, etc seem to have forgotten Tyson was washed 20 years ago and hasn't been the "real" Iron Mike since 1990ish. They seem to expect to see Kid Dynamite. Shall we assume 1 million+ buys given recent UFC buyrates as a guide for the fight fans thirst?

I'll be hoping to catch a steam.