Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Millions in Texas without Power

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Instead of a worthless photo op of throwing paper towel around like a bitch, Biden is sending the requested aid to Texas.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
If ever there were a reason to have a national standard for infrastructure and minimum building codes...

Dandy

Reaction score
Eastern KY and western WV (my area) was crippled with ice storms back to back that have left much of the area without power. It was 40° in my house (with the three small kids) until I went and got a small generator from a co-worker to get a heater going in my bedroom for the entire family to stay warm tonight. I will have to go outside several times tonight to refill the generator but at least we will stay warm enough.

My in-laws had a tree go all the way through their house. Crushed it right in the middle. I don’t want to share the Facebook link showing the damage because they might not want their names and pages being publicized.

This ice storm was a “100 year storm,” and it came mere days after an ice storm knocked out power for most of the area. Many got their power back but some are still without from the first go around. We have a bunch of snow hitting tomorrow which will make it even worse.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Eastern KY and western WV (my area) was crippled with ice storms back to back that have left much of the area without power. It was 40° in my house (with the three small kids) until I went and got a small generator from a co-worker to get a heater going in my bedroom for the entire family to stay warm tonight. I will have to go outside several times tonight to refill the generator but at least we will stay warm enough.

My in-laws had a tree go all the way through their house. Crushed it right in the middle. I don’t want to share the Facebook link showing the damage because they might not want their names and pages being publicized.

This ice storm was a “100 year storm,” and it came mere days after an ice storm knocked out power for most of the area. Many got their power back but some are still without from the first go around. We have a bunch of snow hitting tomorrow which will make it even worse.
That’s awful to hear. Keep us updated how everything goes.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can empathize with that @Dandy and anyone else dealing with these disasters. I hope we can start taking climate change seriously.

Dandy

Reaction score
5:37am EST update:

Electricity has been off for just under 32 hours at this point. We spent the first 20+ without a generator, but I had to do something to keep the kids warm. This generator has a one gallon tank and supposedly runs for four hours on each tank depending on what you are running on it. I filled it up at the gas station prior to starting it, then went out and got two gallons in my can.

I have been trying to refill every three and a half hours so I never run it dry, but it seems to be lasting more than four hours. I topped it off at 9:15pm; 1am; and 5am. The 5am pour was just going to be whatever I could add so I could make a fuel run, but it topped off the generator as I had near drops coming out of the can. I drove to the gas station and got an additional two gallons, which should last me until tonight if it goes the same as the first 11 hours.

It is 16° outside and the ice is still everywhere. It is holding at 40° inside my house, but I am dripping water just in case, as well as running the kitchen sink full blast while I get my layers on to refill the generator. It is between 60° and 62° in our bedroom where we are running the electric heater and all five of us are bunkered. I am taking temps of areas with my infrared thermometer I use for cooking, and piling blankets, towels, or even canvas laundry baskets with clean laundry we had not put up to use as barriers were cold may be coming in. All that to get us above 60°.

We have a second cord from the generator to charge phones; work laptops; and battery pack USB chargers. At some point we want to move the generator to another location outdoors and plug in our tankless water heater for hot showers. When we do that, we will lose the heater. I’ll have to do some testing to see if I can get the generator in a location where extension cords can reach our second story bedroom and the water heater in the basement that is on the opposite end of the house to have one room heated and hot water at the same time. I feel like that is a waste of an outlet though as the water heater is tankless and the water will be hot instantaneously whenever it is plugged in.

I have had 1:45 minutes of sleep spread out over two sessions. I left my contact case in the 4Runner and I am not going back out to get it. I would rather just try and stay up at this point as I am not supposed to sleep in them.

This update was for @Baby Shoes .

Dandy

Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS

The generator died two minutes after posting the above. Apparently it was not topped off as I thought. Quick fix; but another cold one.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
My parents got a generator for their home after an ice storm knocked out power for 24 hours (ended up without power for around 72 hours in total). My Dad ended up focusing it towards use in the living room so they could watch TV/Bundle up on the couch, etc. It did help it was during mid-December so they used the living room fireplace for the first couple nights to help with heat and getting some kind of "light" during the nights on top of the Generator use.

Don't die on us, Dandy! Do you really think @Baby Shoes or even @alkeiper can give us satisfactory Reds updates during the MLB season?!?

Dandy

Reaction score
I’m not dead.

The fuel cap has a valve on the top for pressurization. The lettering for it (on > off) and the line showing which way to turn for the desired position was just raised in the same black plastic material. I couldn’t see it. I had accidentally turned the valve to the off position and it was shutting off due to being in the wrong position.

I crashed at 6:45 instead of trying to go out and mess with it, so we lost a lot of heat. I’ve had it back up for 2.5 hours but not back up to where we were at this morning before it shut off. We are back up to a respectable 57° in our room though.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still no power. We've been driving about 20ish minutes to my fiancée's mom's to cook a hot meal and warm up / charge our phones, yesterday and today.

People apparently don't know how to act at dead intersections and have never heard of 4 way stops, as we've nearly gotten into a few accidents cause of idiotic driving.

We just saw that 60% of Centerpoint's energy area has power, which we aren't a part of.

Most of the gas stations in our area are tapped out of gasoline.

Our apartment still reads 56, which is not dreadfully low but definitely something that, at least for me, I'm not accustomed to.

My fiancée and I joked that our relationship has been battle tested like none other, as we started dating right before Covid and the lockdown, and now not even a month into living together, we've been dealt this.

I know I'm pissed with what's going on, but I'm thankful for what we do have, as I have a work friend that's without power who has two small children to look after.

Dandy

Reaction score
We took our neighbors’ generous offer and are staying at their house that is on a different grid and has full power. I gave the generator to the tenants of our apartment that is detached from the house but right next door. They have hot water with an old style gas water heater that has a pilot light, and now they are able to have heat. Generators and propane heaters are like crack here right now. Luckily we were able to stay with friends that live diagonally from us and help our tenants at the same time.

Thank goodness when we wake up there will be 4-8” of wet, heavy snow to bring down more power poles/lines.