Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Offseason 2020-21

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Didn't Pujols in his last year with St. Louis or his first year with the Angels injure his foot and then it was like he wasn't the same type of player he was before? I seem to remember that for some reason.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't Pujols in his last year with St. Louis or his first year with the Angels injure his foot and then it was like he wasn't the same type of player he was before? I seem to remember that for some reason.
He missed the last few months of 2013 (his 2nd year with the Angels) and had surgery in 2016 as well. Saw an article state that he'd had issues with his feet, "since 2004," so that's a good catch on your part.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Wally Joyner always struck me as a very underrated player stuck in bad home parks for power-hitting in the prime 1990s when he was with Kansas City then San Diego. He would've been a consistent 15-20+ HR a year guy almost anywhere else. He hit just 77 HR from 1992-1998. He was probably robbed of 25-40 HR in his career IMO.

KC: 13 HR at Home vs. 31 HR on Road (1992-1995)
SD: 17 HR at Home vs. 21 HR on Road (1996-1999)

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Joyner is a little unusual. He was almost a superstar right when he got to the big leagues. All American kid and all that jazz, he comes up and has a great rookie season. And his sophomore year was the year (1987) when baseball went nuts with power. But Joyner wasn't a pure power hitter and he settled into his gap hitting style. Meanwhile the American League saw Mark McGwire, Cecil Fielder, Frank Thomas at the position along with Don Mattingly, and Joyner never made an all star team after his rookie season. Joyner never really got better than he was as a rookie but he was generally a solid player. He could've had better numbers but he was probably a bit overrated his first two seasons, so it probably evens out.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Pennsylvania just issued a revision allowing for 20% of capacity at outdoor events. That works out to 8,729 for Phillies games, 7,699 for Pirates. I'll be honest. I've seen minor league teams offering up ticket opportunities for season ticket holders in a way that's going to be quite difficult for single games. I'm not exactly excited to jump through hurdles to attend a professional game.

alkeiper

Reaction score
It's nice, it's convenient and well located. Just about everything a park should be with the exception of its low seating capacity.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aaron Boone is undergoing emergency surgery to have a pacemaker put in. He should be fine but damn he's pretty young to go though that although maybe age doesn't matter here

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Had Red Sox-Twins on while I ate my lunch today. Just a few moments ago I could see multiple sets of maskless dopes congregating while YMCA was blasting over the loud speaker. Had awful PTSD flashbacks to Trump rally footage...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Brewers have signed Jackie Bradley Jr to a 2 Year Deal worth $24 Million. Props to JBJ for getting that $$ after hitting .245, .234, and .225 in 2019 in a hitter's park no less prior to his COVID bounce-back season. He doesn't have 25+ HR pop nor does he BB enough to really offset how often he strikes out so this will be an interesting signing to follow.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm happy to have him in Milwaukee. I don't expect him to hit any better than league average, if that, but the Brewers needed some defensive help. With Bradley, and the earlier signing of Kolten Wong, they got that help. Hiura is moving to first base so his bat stays in the lineup without that glove being such a big liability.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brewers have signed Jackie Bradley Jr to a 2 Year Deal worth $24 Million. Props to JBJ for getting that $$ after hitting .245, .234, and .225 in 2019 in a hitter's park no less prior to his COVID bounce-back season. He doesn't have 25+ HR pop nor does he BB enough to really offset how often he strikes out so this will be an interesting signing to follow.
I'll never get why the Red Sox front office decided to become Tampa Bay North. I wish the Expos were still around cause I would already consider switching my fandom to them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
4 World Championships in my lifetime isn't enough. We should have at least 7 or 8. jfc don't you get it!?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lorenzo Cain might not be able to start opening day due to a quad injury. Doesn't sound like a big deal but I'm even happier to have Bradley on the team now.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Can’t say I’m surprised. Obviously a lot of pressure on the Texas Rangers to make a huge announcement on the 81st birthday of famous Texas Ranger, Chuck Norris.

I laughed at one of the little blurbs they made about how they will offer socially distanced sections while filling a ballpark to nearly 41,000. Plus all the stadium workers.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Can’t say I’m surprised. Obviously a lot of pressure on the Texas Rangers to make a huge announcement on the 81st birthday of famous Texas Ranger, Chuck Norris.

I laughed at one of the little blurbs they made about how they will offer socially distanced sections while filling a ballpark to nearly 41,000. Plus all the stadium workers.
After Opening Day they offer those sections. In April/May when you don't typically have sellouts. Opening Day is a straight up cash grab. Two exhibitions? I don't even know where to start with those.