Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Offseason 2020-21

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Overnight a report dropped that Mets' GM Jared Porter had sent explicit unwanted text messages in 2016. Nine hours later he's fired.

Good. I'm SHOCKED the Rickettses allowed his behavior to go on without consequence.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Overnight a report dropped that Mets' GM Jared Porter had sent explicit unwanted text messages in 2016. Nine hours later he's fired.
Last night:
"naked, erect penis."
LOL M....no, he was in the Cubs so I don't think this qualifies. Damnit. LOL PENIS?

This morning:
"Mets fire GM Porter"
Well that escalated quiLOL METS LOL METS LOL METS!!!!!!!

Maybe the Mets win the world series this year, but I got my LOL METS fixed in damnit.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
150 for 6 or so I saw on ESPN.

That's a pretty solid hire for that team.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
150/6 for a supposed dirty cheater that seemingly all of MLB turned on. Interesting..

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The Yankees needed to clear some payroll so they packaged Ottavino with a prospect and sold him to the Red Sox. Amazing.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah at first sight I thought that was a strange move. Makes more sense now

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wtf, the Cubs made a move I like and signed Joc Pederson. Pederson is basically a slightly better Schwarber and they got him 3 million cheaper. This isn't enough to get me to watch next season, but it's something.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dustin Pedroia announced his retirement.

He definitely made the most of his 14-year career. Rookie of the Year, MVP and a couple World Series.
Ended up kind of having a Nomar career path, unfortunately (both players I thought were on a real 3,000 hit trajectory early in their careers). If healthy the last few years, he would've been around the 2,200 hit mark and 175 HR area.

One of those guys that Red Sox fans will remember how great he was early in his career.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Ended up kind of having a Nomar career path, unfortunately (both players I thought were on a real 3,000 hit trajectory early in their careers). If healthy the last few years, he would've been around the 2,200 hit mark and 175 HR area.

One of those guys that Red Sox fans will remember how great he was early in his career.
I hadn’t thought of it that way. To me they are pretty opposite because Nomar is a guy that I felt never lived up to his potential and I think Pedroia maximized his potential. He never was the most gifted athlete or the best in any category but his heart helped him be a winner. Even when the individual accolades stopped coming, he was a crucial part of the character of the team.

I would think/hope he stays with the organization and assume he would make a pretty solid coach.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Texas signed OF Delino DeShields Jr. to a minor league contract w/ST invitation.

Mets picked up Jordan Yamamoto in a trade sending Frederico Polanco to Miami.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Nolan Arendao to the Cardinals.
Gonna be interesting to see how Arenado does in St. Louis. It's really worth highlighting that he had a career .322 BA at Coors Field and a career .263/.322/.471 line on the road. His HR rate dropped from 5.91% of PA to 4.39% of PA. That's roughly going from 19 HR to 14 if he hits closer to his career road numbers at Busch Stadium.

Crawford was a pretty infamous bust with the Red Sox and he still hit .276 at Fenway Park compared to .236 on the road in 2011. Tulowitzki went from a .300+ hitter in Colorado to a guy who was struggling to hit .240-.250 with Toronto as his home ballpark.

I'm sure St. Louis fans are going to compare him to Walker and Arenado has more power but Walker was a much better hitter on the road. He also had a .334 BA in his Colorado tenure from 1995-2006 with a much higher OBP.

Buster Posey's one of those players, if he had hit almost anywhere other than San Francisco, he'd likely have at least 30-50 more home runs in his career and he'll probably go down as one of the better hitting catchers of the 2010s anyway.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hadn’t thought of it that way. To me they are pretty opposite because Nomar is a guy that I felt never lived up to his potential and I think Pedroia maximized his potential. He never was the most gifted athlete or the best in any category but his heart helped him be a winner. Even when the individual accolades stopped coming, he was a crucial part of the character of the team.

I would think/hope he stays with the organization and assume he would make a pretty solid coach.
I heard nothing but great things about anyone interacted with Dustin in Portland as a prospect in the mid '00s or during his failed comeback attempt in 2019. As far as I'm concerned, he should be in the organization in some role for life ala Johnny Pesky.