Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Offseason Thread

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I'm guessing the banging was for breaking pitches. Would be interesting to see charted how well guys hit against certain pitches, and on certain counts.

If it's 3-2 you're probably sitting on a breaking pitch, but if you know it's coming that's a HR on a silver platter

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Curtis Granderson announced his retirement. Three All star teams, 344 home runs. Wonderful player and human being.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Curtis Granderson announced his retirement. Three All star teams, 344 home runs. Wonderful player and human being.

Probably could've approached 390 HR & 175 SB if he'd had a chance to make it to the majors at 21-22 years old and play full time. Easy 20-20 player, peaking at 40 HR ability, who was a 3-4 win player with a few 6-7 years but I always enjoyed watching him even when he was with the Yankees and Mets.

His 23 Triples(!) in 2007 will probably be a future trivia answer too.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
alkeiper said:

Probably could've approached 390 HR & 175 SB if he'd had a chance to make it to the majors at 21-22 years old and play full time. Easy 20-20 player, peaking at 40 HR ability, who was a 3-4 win player with a few 6-7 years but I always enjoyed watching him even when he was with the Yankees and Mets.

His 23 Triples(!) in 2007 will probably be a future trivia answer too.
It already is. There are four players in MLB history to have a season of 20/20/20/20 in doubles, triples, homers and stolen bases. Granderson and Jimmy Rollins both did it in 2007. The others are Willie Mays (1957) and Frank "Wildfire" Schulte (1911).

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Those small market Red Sox making fiscally responsible moves. I didn't want to watch a perennial MVP candidate in the prime of his career anyway.

The only bright side is if this takes most/all of Price's contract off the books.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Damn.

Does Boston even have a manager yet?

Hey, good for the Yankees! I've been wanting to see a Yankees-Dodgers WS my entire life, maybe we'll finally get it

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Amy pats fan said:
Damn.

Hey, good for the Yankees! I've been wanting to see a Yankees-Dodgers WS my entire life, maybe we'll finally get it

Even with Betts and Price, the Sox were no threat to the Yankees.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1225102485712523264

Man when Dave Roberts wakes up, he's going to be slightly miffed that Ross Stripling is gone.

No really this is such a bad trade for the Dodgers. Stripling is so good during the postseason.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Dodgers were already making the playoffs. I really don't think this improves their odds of a WS that much. I mean Kershaw AND Price pitching postseason games. What could possibly go wrong there?

alkeiper

Reaction score
Cartman said:
Amy pats fan said:
Damn.

Even with Betts and Price, the Sox were no threat to the Yankees.
So you have the Red Sox. Third place but good pieces, maybe the second best player in baseball on their team. Fuck it, trade Betts because fans love payroll flexibility!

Meanwhile the Angels have Mike Trout. They finished fourth. But instead of throwing in the towel they extend Trout, sign Anthony Rendon, trade for Dylan Bundy, trade for Ross Stripling and Joc Pederson. I don't know where I would project them. But each year they take a flawed roster and can make it as good as can possibly be.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Dombrowski fucked this team with those needless extensions, but the owners still had to sign off on them. Then they are about to get popped for sign stealing and go and piss off the fanbase by trading their next face of the franchise. 2018 was just two years ago, right?

I do wonder that if this team stumbles out of the gate and aren't sniffing playoffs they just completely blow it up and try to deal JD Martinez, JBJ and whoever else at the deadline and truly hit the reset button. It'll be really hard to trade Sale and Eovaldi given their durability issues (again, thanks Dave).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is saddest day to be a Red Sox fan since last day of 2011 season. I don't blame people who say they want to quit rooting for them because the owners have quit on us. Why, all of a sudden, is the most successful franchise of the past 15 years (that makes money hand over fist) acting like they're a second tier rebuilding franchise? Fuck John Henry, Larry Lucchino, and Tom Werner.

And I think they're absolutely blowing things up in the near future. Also it's been weeks since Cora got fired and they still don't have a manager. Just get bad bad vibes around The Sox. At least The Celtics are fun.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s so sad to see you Red Sox fans suffer like this, it’s like you guys got kicked out of first class on the plane and now have to sit in economy with the likes of the Twins and the Tigers and Diamondbacks, it’s so tragic and heartbreaking to watch these fans be treated like regular people. Thoughts and prayers.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even Mets fans don't deserve this kind of indignity tbh.

One of the rumors/theories I've heard is that the owners are being thrifty cause of the boondoggle with the new ballpark for the Triple A Team in Worcester. Which seems weird.

It's like after 20 years of a successful loving marriage, you find out your partner is a GD idiot out of the blue.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s like complaining about the same partner who helped you experience joy and had 4 amazing kids and then one day, you find out that maybe for a couple years you need to leave your large palatial estate and live in a 3 bedroom condo and now your kids are worthless and you’ve never been happy and you wish they would die in a fire.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Now the deal is being held up because the guy Boston is getting from the Twins (Graterol) has medical issues. Fits right in on this team.

Oh, and the other guy (Verdugo) may have allegedly filmed and posted to Shapchat players sexually assaulting a 17-year old. Fantastic.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So according to USA Today, MLB is going to administer only a light punishment to the Red Sox after there was little evidence of cheating found in their investigation of the 2018 team.

After this week, I'll take that.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bold Prediction: Mookie Betts will never come close to being the player he was in 2018.

Up until this news about Graterol I was fine with the trade honestly. I'm ecstatic that Price is gone, and I never saw Betts as a guy who can produce at an elite level for the next 10-12 years. This team has given out more than enough terrible contracts already, i'm ok with not doing it here either. I know this is not a popular opinion, and i'm probably very stupid and wrong, but that's just how I feel. I was never a huge Betts fan and I can't really explain why as there is nothing wrong with him at all.

EDIT: All that said, this is one situation where it would not surprise me at all if the Sox offered him a ridiculous contract this offseason still. He's definitely going to be a FA, so everyone will have their shot at him.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Mookie's 2018 was probably a bit of a fluke. Betts has established himself as a 6 win player. Sometimes he'll surpass it but you can't count on it. There's obviously some risk but I think you have to accept risk to try and win. On the flip side though, if Betts was going to test the waters then why not make this move and try to sign him as a free agent anyway? The real concern for the Red Sox is Verdugo's character is questionable and they now have a prospect named Jeter.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
named after St. Jetersberg as well!! His mother said she started watching the Yankees in 1998 and liked Jeter's eyes!!!

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/carlos-beltran-was-relentless-godfather-in-astros-sign-stealing-scheme/