Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2020

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Players on other teams are very displeased with this.

I'm not surprised. He basically misses 1 start maybe 2 at the most? The smarter thing would've been to say he's suspended 3 Starts or something similar. Also Dave Roberts got suspended 1 game. Way to bring the hammer down, Manfred and set a tone for every other team.

If I were a SP for another team and had a bone to pick with the Astros, I'd be throwing balls at them too knowing at most I'd lose 1-2 starts. If it were longer, I'd just appeal through the MLBPA and point to what they did to Kelly.

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. He basically misses 1 start maybe 2 at the most? The smarter thing would've been to say he's suspended 3 Starts or something similar. Also Dave Roberts got suspended 1 game. Way to bring the hammer down, Manfred and set a tone for every other team.

If I were a SP for another team and had a bone to pick with the Astros, I'd be throwing balls at them too knowing at most I'd lose 1-2 starts. If it were longer, I'd just appeal through the MLBPA and point to what they did to Kelly.

Joe Kelly is a reliever my man. Other teams are displeased because he's being punished at all.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Also @909 if you want to get personal or really let go with some disparaging remarks about me, you can always PM me that instead of being the contentious hot head of a mod that you are and fire off comments knowing ain't shit gonna happen to you.. Sort of like some pretentious, bulbous sack of wasted flesh in the White House that is all talk but a raging inbred when dealing with facts or anything that crushes his little narrative.

Going to jump in here just because I hate when people whine about someone getting away with flaming. I've only read up to this but saying you're a Trump fan isn't against the rules. The flaming rules on the forum are basically don't involve people's families or use slurs, or like using some kind of personal shit. Common sense things.

Dandy

Reaction score
Dude could not find the strike zone at all but we are to believe he could zip one at someone’s head with pinpoint accuracy? I don’t think he was throwing at their heads there. Anyone that has ever pitched (in meaningful athletic contests above Little League) will tell you they have hit people or had one go at someone’s head while you are not intentionally throwing there but having a wild day.

Eight games is ridiculous here. I think a fine or a much shorter one game suspension would have been more appropriate if you think he was doing it on purpose.

8/162 = 5%
8/60 = 13%

Dandy

Reaction score
Weird play in Cincy.

Bases loaded and no outs. Shogo Akiyama hits a sinking liner to a diving Kris Bryant at third base. Bryant fields the ball off what was shown on replay a short hop that kicked up dirt before going into Bryant’s glove. The third base ump is right there and does not signal an out. Replays show him not signaling the out. Bryant gets up and steps on third and fires to first and the Cubs run off the field as it is called a triple play.

So at some point, the umpire at third base had to have called it an out but it must have been after Bryant got up which is a crazy delay. Reds manager David Bell comes out to talk to the umps but it is not a reviewable play. Only trapped ball situations are reviewable if it is an outfielder. So the ump that is at third that took forever to apparently signal an out could have suggested to the head ump (if it wasn’t him already) that the look at it themselves. That is the only way it could have been reviewed.

They neglected to do so.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Weird play in Cincy.

Bases loaded and no outs. Shogo Akiyama hits a sinking liner to a diving Kris Bryant at third base. Bryant fields the ball off what was shown on replay a short hop that kicked up dirt before going into Bryant’s glove. The third base ump is right there and does not signal an out. Replays show him not signaling the out. Bryant gets up and steps on third and fires to first and the Cubs run off the field as it is called a triple play.

So at some point, the umpire at third base had to have called it an out but it must have been after Bryant got up which is a crazy delay. Reds manager David Bell comes out to talk to the umps but it is not a reviewable play. Only trapped ball situations are reviewable if it is an outfielder. So the ump that is at third that took forever to apparently signal an out could have suggested to the head ump (if it wasn’t him already) that the look at it themselves. That is the only way it could have been reviewed.

They neglected to do so.
I don't get why they have replay at all if situations like that can't be reviewed, especially since that took a run off the board and ended a potentially big inning.

There was a play in an Indians game a few years ago where something similar happened 20-30 feet into the outfield, but because it was during a weird defensive shift and the second baseman was playing in shallow right, they ruled it was an infield play and wouldn't review it either.

I would think these type of plays would be exactly what replay is there for.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand not wanting to drag games and make them longer but as has been said, if you're going to have replay (or have a base umpire appeal to the head umpire for a review), why not make all plays reviewable? Does MLB use the independent video reviewer like the NFL(?) does to request a replay?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think that Mr Manfred is handling all of this (from allowing Houston to cheat to the pandemic) exactly like someone who donated MLB money to a neo-confederate senate candidate because Mitch McConnell told him to would handle it.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

The other players are mad because he got suspended 8 games more than any of the players who cheated to win a title. And, as others have said, he's a reliever, so he's missing 8 games, not 2 or 3 starts.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Weird play in Cincy.

They neglected to do so.
I watched the replay and the umpire clearly signals an out. The umpires hand is up in the air by the time Bryant is up to one knee. His hand is still in the air when Bryant steps on third base. The umps arm is up less than one second after the play. I don't think the bone of contention is there.

The problem from a replay standpoint is everything that happens on the field is a direct result of that call. By the looks of the play at third, Galvis stopped running. Barnhart was on his way back to first. If you use replay and overturn that call, where do the runners go? Bryant has a shot at the runner at home. He went to third because the ump signaled the out. How do you determine all that?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Phillies are suspending all activities at Citizens Bank Park after a clubhouse attendant and coach test positive for COVID-19.

How have they not at least paused the season?

alkeiper

Reaction score
Phillies are suspending all activities at Citizens Bank Park after a clubhouse attendant and coach test positive for COVID-19.

They're really hoping the virus hasn't spread beyond the Marlins and Phillies. The Phillies are up against it now. If any players test positive in the next two days the season is essentially over.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Phillies are a fairly big franchise and if someone like Bryce got it I think they would have to cancel it. They probably don't see the Marlins as important enough to cancel the season but if some stars get it they will definitely.

Dandy

Reaction score
I watched the replay and the umpire clearly signals an out. The umpires hand is up in the air by the time Bryant is up to one knee. His hand is still in the air when Bryant steps on third base. The umps arm is up less than one second after the play. I don't think the bone of contention is there.

The problem from a replay standpoint is everything that happens on the field is a direct result of that call. By the looks of the play at third, Galvis stopped running. Barnhart was on his way back to first. If you use replay and overturn that call, where do the runners go? Bryant has a shot at the runner at home. He went to third because the ump signaled the out. How do you determine all that?

The replays that kept getting shown last night cut off before the ump made any signal and then went to an angle where he was out of the frame. It showed him staring at the ground and not making a signal with his hands. This was the Fox Sports Ohio feed.

I totally understand what you are saying, but that is a potential huge swing and they need to come up with something. They have come up rules for advancement or returning to the bag for lots of other situations.

Staff member
Reaction score

Because they can work the season around two teams being fucked up. The season can also be extended in a way that would lead to the playoffs taking place outside of October. There are still 28 other teams that don't have these problems.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know it's early and lots of guys have bad stats right now that will improve, but as a Cubs fan and a Yu Darvish fan this pleases me. The beef started last year when Darvish thought Yelich had some suspicious behavior and implied he's been stealing signs. Yelich's response to it was so blase that I'm shocked more fan chatter about it didn't pick up. All Darvish has to do is actually pitch well tonight since his first start stunk.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The immediate
Because they can work the season around two teams being fucked up. The season can also be extended in a way that would lead to the playoffs taking place outside of October. There are still 28 other teams that don't have these problems.
Yet. The problem is this demonstrates how easily an outbreak can spread. A player tests positive and its a week before you know who else contracted the virus. So realistically you need to sideline the entire team. And if this happens during the playoffs? You get to a point where none of it has any legitimacy.

If it stops here with the Phillies and Marlins, the season will survive. But if this happens again, I think the game is up.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone on the Cardinals or Brewers tested positive, too, so their game is postponed.

20% of the league can't play their scheduled games today.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Baseball really should have came up with a bubble concept like the NBA. Have teams play a bunch of regional games, then create a tournament similar to the WBC. The whole business as usual mindset just set them up for failure.

Are the owners going to fire him for doing anything/everything they want?

He's done a bang up job this season.

Give him a raise from all the revenue they're about to lose!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is there anyway that MLB Season makes it through this weekend? or are they just going to try and play until there are too few teams left to play?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Cesepedes hasn't reported to the Mets game today. Team officials have tried contacting him, but they aren't getting any answers. He was at the game last night, and no one knows what happened him.