Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2020

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Last night we had a rain shortened 6 inning affair and the Dodgers beat down the Nationals.

Toronto is trying to work with the Baltimore Orioles and Maryland to play home games at Camden Yards as their first home game is on Wednesday.

Washington already effected by Juan Soto catching COVID and Kershaw was a late scratch due to a back injury. This shortened season is gonna be nuts.

Friday 7-24 'Opening Day' Schedule
Braves at Mets, 4:00 (ESPN)
Tigers at Reds, 6:10
Blue Jays at Rays, 6:40
Brewers at Cubs, 7:00 (ESPN)
Marlins at Phillies, 7:05
Royals at Indians, 7:10
Orioles at Red Sox, 7:30
Rockies at Rangers, 8:05
Twins at White Sox, 8:10
Pirates at Cardinals, 8:15
Mariners at Astros, 9:10
Diamondbacks at Padres, 9:10
Giants at Dodgers, 9:40
Angels at A's, 10:00 (ESPN)

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its been announced that the Jays will play their first 2 "home" games in Washington, since they'll already play the first 2 games of that series there against the Nationals.

Then, maybe Baltimore? Maybe Buffalo? Maybe Hartford? Maybe Omaha? Maybe barnstorm around the country? Maybe they should have had this figured out before the season started?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Manchester, NH, where Blue Jays' Double A team plays has a stadium with a giant hotel right next door to it. Just saying!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One suggestion I saw somewhere was to play in New York and alternate between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field whenever possible.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One suggestion I saw somewhere was to play in New York and alternate between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field whenever possible.
That is what I thought made most sense. Low COVID numbers, easy to get there from anywhere. Good for Buffalo though.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Worth noting that we have a new playoff round for only this year. 16 teams make the playoffs, first round is a best of three. Top two teams in each division make playoffs, two more wild cards from each league. Higher seeds host all three games in the first round. Apart from true bottom feeders like the Orioles, any team could reach the playoffs in a crapshoot like this.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm all for the 16 team field for this year, but I really hope they have no intention of keeping anything like it in the future. I also hope they keep the universal DH going forward.

I absolutely HATE the Extra Inning "starts with a runnner on 2nd" rule though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They've been doing that rule for extra innings in the minors for 2 maybe 3 years. Yeah, it sucks and robs most of the drama and strategizing out of extra innings. I'm all for innovation in baseball and cutting down time of games but that seems like wrong to go about it.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I honestly don't mind the extra inning rule too much. It's a gimmick but the drama is still there, IMO. I'm more concerned about the juiced ball and frequent pitching changes.

Baseball-reference.com has playoff odds on their page. The Colorado Rockies are third lowest at 14.9%. That close to 1 in 6. Only the Marlins and Tigers look completely hopeless. I'm taking the Orioles with a grain of salt though.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brandon Nimmo apparently refused to wear a BLM shirt in the pre game. Get the fuck out of here with that shit man

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind the extra inning rule only because the season is so short.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I cannot imagine a scenario where the Cincinnati Reds ever lose another game.
Their lineup is just stacked. And if the starting rotation stays healthy they could win the division. Bullpen is a potential issue.

Dandy

Reaction score
Matt Davidson was one of the final two players added to the Reds’ Active roster and required two players to be released to make room for them on the 40-Man roster which happened yesterday. He debuted and started as the DH because they were facing a lefty. He tested positive for COVID, which The result was just released this morning. Terrific.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Me last night: Even though it's just the Baltimore Orioles, in such a short season and with an expanded playoffs, maybe the Red Sox can overcome their lack of pitching and surpass expectations.
Me today: Sox sux.

Dandy

Reaction score
Reds had two starters—Mike Moustakas and Nick Senzel—scratched from the lineup today following Matt Davidson’s positive COVID test yesterday. Moustakas was definitely because of how he felt when he woke up. It could be nothing, but I don’t have a good feeling about MLB and COVID now.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that the Marlins are worried they have a team-wide outbreak.

The Reds have 3 potential Covid cases already.

All it really takes is 2 or 3 teams getting a widespread outbreak and the whole season collapses, as it would destroy the schedule. I don't see this ending well.

And this is just baseball. How in the hell will they play football. You have the O and D line breathing right into each others faces masks all game.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the Marlins home opener is canceled. Do you think MLB season makes it to the end of the week? NBA and NFL are fucked since they're indoors and involve much more close contact.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
And the Marlins home opener is canceled. Do you think MLB season makes it to the end of the week? NBA and NFL are fucked since they're indoors and involve much more close contact.

As long as the players stay in the bubble, NBA shouldn't have many issues. Once there, they're supposed to stay there. I know players have gone out, but the idea is that they are in that place. The WNBA and NHL are the same. I believe the MLS, and the women's pro soccer league, which just finished and have 0 positives, were the same. The NFL on the other hand could be fucked.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I knew MLB's plan for a season was bad as soon as I heard it. Limited travel is still travel. This kind of greed and short sightedness is why MLB is gonna drop down to #4 sport in USA in the near future.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Philly vs Yankees for tonight has been cancelled. 40% of the Marlins have COVID.

This season isn't lasting beyond next week, if not earlier.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NFL is screwed but football is virtually impossible to play safely in a bubble. MLB had more of a chance to do things the right way (I don't think there's a team sport more suited for social distancing than baseball) and completely blew it.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I hesitate to say they blew it beyond confronting the reality that running a traveling team sport safely is simply not possible.