Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Errr, I meant gone in the tank (was going off treble's post)

Mets, Red Sox, Pads, Jays have all plummeted at the same time. Phils too to an extent

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was hoping the Reds would've given up weeks ago. But no. I hope Milwaukee can take 2 of 3 starting tomorrow night.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We also could be headed for a Red Sox/Yankee wildcard play in game which MLB would cream themselves over.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Last year the MLB season was only 60 games. I think teams and pitching staffs flat out running out of gas could be more of a thing than usual.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
going into yesterday's game the Mets had held a lead just once in their last 70 innings

alkeiper

Reaction score
This caught my eye looking at the Orioles. In July they played 22 games, scored 97 runs. 4.4 per game. In August they've scored 64 runs in 21 games, 3.0 per game. But their OPS is actually higher this month than last. Without digging through all the stats they're hitting .153/.211/220 with Runners in scoring position this month with is absolutely Grichuk-esqe. That all probably doesn't matter though because opposing batters have a .935 OPS this month. Essentially Orioles' opponents are the equivalent of facing Edgar Martinez every at bat.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Bryce Harper in his last 50 games:
.335/.460/.682. 12 HRs, 35 RBIs, 40 BBs, 21 2Bs. Harper's OPS+ in three seasons with the Phillies is 148, higher than it was with the Nationals.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Add the Reds to the teams who seem to be collapsing down the stretch. This is pretty unreal. It's probably happened before but I sure as hell don't remember it. Al is probably right that teams are running out of steam after last year's shortened season.

America's true team the magic aided Cardinals are going to swoop in and snag the last wildcard spot at this rate

alkeiper

Reaction score
I tuned into the Brewers’ game in time to see Vogelbach’s grand slam. Of the playoff front runners they’re the team I most want to see make a deep run.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To win like that versus the Cardinals made it even better. I admit, I want this to finally to be their year.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a chance that all the Wisconsin pro sports teams could win championships this year. Could this bode well for Brody's POTY tournament chances?

No...TSM doesn't have a POTY tournament anymore.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Salvador Perez is (quietly) going nuts over in Kansas City. He's put up a 130 OPS+ with 41 HR and 102 RBI at age 31.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Garrett Cole just left the Yankees/Blue Jays game with an apparent injury

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's still inconsistent, sometimes wildly so, but Luis Urias is becoming one of my favorites.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta (rightly) got a lot of attention, Hauser and Lauer have quietly gotten better and better all year long. And those 2 have had the best starts for the team the last few weeks! It has been incredible to watch. Brett Anderson has been cursed by injuries all season but he's done his job well enough when he's been out there.

For over a year, it looked like Stearns got bamboozled on the San Diego trade. Trent Grisham and they flipped Davies for Darvish. Lauer and Urias the inverse of that for Milwaukee to start. Now, I'm as confident when Lauer takes the mound as when Woodruff does. And Urias has 19 home runs already and has played well at 2nd, 3rd, and shortstop (where he had last night's circus catch).

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone noticed some of the eye-popping attendance figures yesterday?

TEX/ARZ: 6,354
MIN/CLE: 11,037
DET/PIT: 8,382
NYM/MIA: 6,378
CHW/OAK: 8,147
KC/BAL: 4,965 (all time low for OPACY; "shatters" the record of 4,981 set the night before)

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well with the exception of Oakland, all those towns are out of the playoff picture, school is back in session and there is this pesky pandemic floating around so I suppose those numbers look about what they should be.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Oakland has always had attendance issues, outside of the Bash Brothers era.

I'm honestly amazed that they are still around. I guess it helps probably having one of the wealthiest fanbases in the country? Them having one of the wealthiest fanbases in the country? This is purely speculation. I know Oakland is historically poor but they're surrounded by (and what fans they have are) mostly Bay Area techbros?

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the main problem is that tickets for bad baseball teams cost too much. They don't really cost a lot in some cases but they cost too much to pay to watch such a bad team. Field level for the Orioles and D-Backs costs between 50-165 bucks. Would you pay 200 dollars to take your family of four to an Orioles game? It's hard to believe anyone would be willing to pay that. Back in the 80s when baseball was more popular tickets cost almost nothing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Sale tested positive for COVID and will miss his next start. Red Sox might find a way to blow it after all...

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This Yankees collapse is pretty wild. Not having a lead throughout a four-game home stand against a divisional rival would have George Constanza rolling in his grave.