Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like if the pitch was close enough to hit him in the first place... not sure how that makes it any different from a player who moves out of the way of a ball that would've hit him otherwise. Should we start giving those guys HBPs because they didn't try to get hit?

It wasn't close enough to hit him. He dove into the strike zone to get hit.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean it was a shitty move but people acting like it's on the same level as the Astros stuff is dull.

Reggie Jackson stuck his ass out to get hit by a thrown ball while on the base paths during a World Series and was not called for interference. It's been done before.

I've seen some talk of suspension for .Conforto for what he did. I guess I wouldn't totally be against it but there's been far worse stuff

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trevor Bauer has been accused of "doctoring" baseballs. MLB is "looking into it" Suspend Michael Conforto please

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Conforto probably got away with one. But at the same time the game was tied in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded. The Mets were likely to win that game anyway. The big takeaway for me is that sometimes calls go against you and that’s why you do this 162 times.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally saw the clip and as both @strummer and @alkeiper said, shitty move that Conforto got away with. Pretty damning to get the HBP call but to Conforto's credit, he did get the call so it was worth doing it for him. The ball barely grazed his elbow but I don't know if it's worth the "cheating" outcry and suspending him over it.

Initially I was under the impression it was a HBP where the ball tails inside and rather than moving out of the way like most players would do, Conforto just leaned his body in (e.g. the ball grazes the front of the jersey at chest level type HBP).

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Is it cheating? Possibly, depending on intent. But it's minor. Suspending him? GTFOH.

Looked at Carl Yastrzemski's BR page and of course it links to Mike. Mike finished eighth in MVP voting last year. Given his minor league stats that's a massive fluke. But it's worth noting that Mike has 585 career at bats to his credit now with a 133 OPS+ and 32 HRs. Far better than was ever projected as a prospect. Kudos to him.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't Jeff Bagwell break his hand like 26 times due to HBP? I feel like if there's one (non-NSFW) place your instincts should keep from taking a pitch as a pro ballplayer, it's the hands.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jacob deGrom should press criminal charges against the Mets.

5 games nto this season and this team is already pissing me off

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mets/Marlins rained out. The MLB season is now 10 days old and the Mets have played 5 games. And weather is supposed to be terrible for tomorrow.

Dandy

Reaction score
It is extremely bad luck to post about potential no-hitters, so I would like to post about the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Luke Weaver having a no-hitter through six innings. The perfect game was just a broken up by a HBP. We should talk about this potential no-hitter as much as possible.

Staff member
Reaction score
Jansen throwing hard out of nowhere so he's probably gonna get tested for steroids.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mets/Phillies postponed. Major league season closing in on 2 weeks old and the Mets have played 5 games. DH tomorrow as I guess it was getting laughable how few games they've played so far

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know it's ridiculously early but Michael Conforto looks so bad at the plate it's making me feel he's hiding an injury or is hurt, etc. He also looks to have lost a bunch of muscle mass compared to the last few years.

He was hit by pitch in the game today in the wrist and had to be pulled of course

Staff member
Reaction score
This Dodgers-Padres game is great despite the horrible extra innings rule. Or maybe because of it?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bah gawd! I love the 11 AM Patriots Day Red Sox game. It feels like they're like Harlem Globetrotters level of dominance during this great NEW ENGLAND MAN holiday*. Although only record I could find was that they're 66-49 on Pats Day, through 2010, which seems good but not THAT good.

*Well, MAINE AND MASSACHUSETTS MAN HOLIDAY. Suck it New Hampshire and Vermont