Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Team no hitter for the Brewers tonight. Burnes 8, Hader the 9th, and Cain caught what would've been a double in the 8th.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Jays played a doubleheader against Baltimore today.

They were down 3 going into the 7th in the first game and scored 4 to win 11-10.

They were down 1-0 after being no-hit through 6 and then scored 11 runs on 11 hits in the 7th.

At worst, they're tied with the Yankees for the 2nd wild card at the end of the day.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now they've scored 16 through the first 3 innings today.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Benches just cleared in NY as apparently the Yankees have been making whistling sounds from the dugout to indicate pitches for the hitter. And I guess Francisco Lindor didn't like it. Not this shit again.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Age 22 seasons

Vlad Sr.: 90 games, .302/.350/.483, 11 HRs, 40 RBIs, 19 BBs, 117 OPS+, 1.8 WAR
Vlad Jr.: 143 games, .318/.407/.612, 45 HRs, 103 RBIs, 77 BBs, 174 OPS+, 6.1 WAR

Besides hitting more HRs in a season than his father ever did, Junior also has 70 unintentional walks. Junior is essentially peak Vlad Sr. with plate discipline as a hitter. Vlad Sr. was a better fielder. But Junior has certainly lived up to the hype this season.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got to see Vlad Jr back in 2018 when the New Hampshire Fisher Cats played the Portland Sea Dogs and it's really hard to not overhype a 22 year old who is already jacking up 45+ home runs a season but he will be a great, great player if he stays healthy. And if I were a betting man, I'd pick Toronto Blue Jays to be the team of the 2020s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boy, BoSox aren't making it easy on themselves but we can be thankful, I guess, that the Yankees seem even more incompetent at the moment.

Also, I'd be curious to hear @alkeiper (or any of the experts here) rank this year's AL East on the greatest divisions of all time. Even in the days where the AL & NL only each had one division, was there ever a year where a division had 4 90 win teams?

alkeiper

Reaction score
I'd throw the 1967 American League pennant race out there, where four teams finished within three games. And a reminder that Carl Yastrzemski hit .491 over the last two weeks of that season.

Anthony Gose, who last played in the majors in 2016 as an outfielder, has been called up by Cleveland to pitch in their bullpen.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Something to note about the AL East now that I have the numbers in front of me.

Orioles vs...
Tampa Bay 1-18
Boston 4-12
Toronto 5-11
New York 8-11

Take those O's games away and the Red Sox and Blue Jays are only on pace for 89 wins, the Rays 91 and the Yankees 93. Most times when a lot of teams have good records it's because a team (or maybe a couple teams) are really bad. Baseball is a zero sum game and a league with all .500 teams could well be better than a team with a several teams with big win totals.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Something to note about the AL East now that I have the numbers in front of me.

Orioles vs...
Tampa Bay 1-18
Boston 4-12
Toronto 5-11
New York 8-11

Take those O's games away and the Red Sox and Blue Jays are only on pace for 89 wins, the Rays 91 and the Yankees 93. Most times when a lot of teams have good records it's because a team (or maybe a couple teams) are really bad. Baseball is a zero sum game and a league with all .500 teams could well be better than a team with a several teams with big win totals.

Same with the Astros in the West. If you take away their games against just the Angels and Rangers, they are only on pace for 90 wins.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I doubt many will focus on it but this has been quite the epic collapse by the Padres this season. They looked to have a sure fire playoff spot in a weak NL and nosedived

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nah the collapse of the Reds was even more egregious when you consider how soft that schedule was suppose to be for them and they laid down like a blanket

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like there were a lot of teams with big collapses this year. Nowhere near as noteworthy since they fell off quick, but the Cubs had a winning record in May and lead the division before an eleven game losing streak and a horrible June sunk them for good.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those collapses are all epic and whatever but none are as truly sickening as what the Brewers are, yet again, doing.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The worst part of all these collapses is that the vultures known as the Cardinals are right there to pick up the scraps.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
America's true team the magic aided Cardinals are going to swoop in and snag the last wildcard spot at this rate

called this less than 3 weeks ago

alkeiper

Reaction score
Postmortem for a couple promising teams over the weekend, the Mets and Padres. Similar stories for both teams statistically. The offenses kept steady between the first and second half (the Mets actually did better at scoring runs in the second half). But the pitching staffs completely collapsed. The Padres ended up with Jake Arrieta and Vince Velasquez in their rotation because they just needed warm arms (0-5 in seven starts and the two no decisions were also team losses). The Mets' pitching staff was hurt by Jacob deGrom's absence. Taijuan Walker, Rich Hill and Carlos Carrasco have combined for 34 starts and a 1-16 record this half.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Random stats of interest for this MLB season

- There are only 3 players with a .400 OBP or better and 3 players with a 1.000 OPS or better. Harper, Soto, and Guerrero Jr
- Robbie Grossman of all players has 95 BB thus far. That's good for 4th place in the MLB
- 7 players have 170+ strikeouts with Saurez soon to join them (sitting at 168)
- Royals Nicky Lopez has 21 SB and has not been thrown out all season
- 8 pitchers have a 3.00 ERA or lower
- 9 pitchers have a 10.6 K/9 or better. Leader is Corbin Burnes at 12.5! He also leads with a 186 ERA+
- Just 8 pitchers have thrown at least 2 Complete Games

Just for fun to compare the pitchers to 2001 aka the <3 of the Steroid Era
- 7 pitchers had at least 5 Complete Games
- Only 4 pitchers had a 10+ K/9 (Randy Johnson, Kerry Wood, Curt Schilling, and Hideo Nomo)
- 7 pitchers had a 3.15 ERA or lower. Just 2 were under 3.00 with Schilling sitting at 2.98

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does Milwaukee account for 4 of those 8 pitchers with 3.00 ERAs?

Last edited: