Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

The 15-second pitch clock was introduced in the Low-A West this season on June 15, roughly six weeks into the season. Nine-inning games prior to the introduction of the pitch clock lasted an average of 3 hours, 2 minutes. Nine-inning games in the league after the introduction of the pitch clock averaged 2:41, as The Athletic’s Jayson Stark first reported. The introduction of the pitch clock also corresponded with an increase in offense throughout the league.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ohtani told the Los Angeles Times that unless the Angels become competitive, he'll start looking towards taking his talents elsewhere.

Has there ever been a sports organization that's blown having TWO once in a generation level talents like the Angels? I know there's been plenty of teams to have multiple generational talents that didn't win championships but at least they got to the point of competing for championships (or at least a championship). Angels have won zero playoff games since Mike Trout debuted ten years ago. Not series...GAMES! They've only had above .500 seasons four times in his career (and zero since Ohtani debuted)

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
They started sucking when they ditched the Anaheim from their name... I'm not saying anything but just pointing that out there ;)

The Angels also have never been a really "power hitting" club so when the pitching fell off a cliff, they didn't have the offense to keep pace and win games in that manner. Most of their best HR hitter seasons have sat in that 25-35 HR area and usually it was 1 maybe 2 players on the club who would achieve that going back to the 90s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in Orange County, California just feel like caffeine free Mets. It's just weird no one's flipping out about this but their fanbase makes St. Louis Cardinals crowds look like rottweilers with rabies.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Ohtani told the Los Angeles Times that unless the Angels become competitive, he'll start looking towards taking his talents elsewhere.

Has there ever been a sports organization that's blown having TWO once in a generation level talents like the Angels? I know there's been plenty of teams to have multiple generational talents that didn't win championships but at least they got to the point of competing for championships (or at least a championship). Angels have won zero playoff games since Mike Trout debuted ten years ago. Not series...GAMES! They've only had above .500 seasons four times in his career (and zero since Ohtani debuted)
The '60s Cubs are probably the gold standard. Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, zero pennants or playoff appearances.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Epically blowing the '69 NL pennant still seems more relevant than anything Angels have done in the last ten years.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dodgers came back to win last night so the Giants still haven't wrapped up the division.

And, somehow, Westby Wisconsin's own Scott Servais and the Mariners are still in it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rays are pounding the NY Yankees right now. If they lose today and Red Sox can beat the Nats today and tomorrow, then the Red Sox will host the Wild Card play-in game on Tuesday. Unfortunately, Red Sox rotation seems held together by spit and chewed up spearmint gum rn. Between this and TB12's return to Foxboro tomorrow, it's hard for me to think of a more ulcer inducing New England sports weekend.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mariners losing last night was huge. The Yankees would (most likely) be playing for their lives tomorrow if that didn't happen

alkeiper

Reaction score
Mariners in a sudden death game tonight.

Red Sox are the de facto leaders because they have a head to head edge against the Yankees. Both teams make the playoffs (specifically the one game wild card) with a win. Still a shot for a three or four way tie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
is there still any scenario where we get a Game 163 with Toronto or Seattle playing AL East #3 team with the winner facing AL East 2nd place team, @alkeiper ? I saw something like that on Reddit earlier this weekend. (Sorry @cobainwasmurdered )

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure it'll quite live up to the hype of the last couple weeks if it just ends up being Boston and New York.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 4th place team in the AL East is going to have at least 90 wins.

alkeiper

Reaction score
is there still any scenario where we get a Game 163 with Toronto or Seattle playing AL East #3 team with the winner facing AL East 2nd place team, @alkeiper ? I saw something like that on Reddit earlier this weekend. (Sorry @cobainwasmurdered )
I think so, if there is a three way tie for wc #2.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read on the MLB Reddit (I'll try to make it up to 225 posts tomorrow to make it for mentioning them twice today, CWM) that some Angels fans are rooting for the Mariners cause they hate the Red Sox and don't want them to make the playoffs...

Unless you're 45 years and older and have memories of the 1986 ALCS, the heck did the Red Sox ever do? I know Boston beat them in ALDS in '04 and '08 but those weren't bitter, contentious series. Maybe they're still mad that Bill Simmons called them out for being dorks. Or they're all 45 years and older. Or realistically, they're 45+ years old and hate read Bill Simmons.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You were the Yankees little brother. For a long time. But not since 2004. Cardinals of the AL since the end of the Bambino curse. It's best not to take that personally, though, the new reputation was made by ownership, players, management, and the noxious Boston fanbase (I hope know you're not a part of that).

*edited out a casual accusation of racism and that was wrong/dumb

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Before people talk about how toxic New England sports fans, please realize we've spent our entire lives trying to delude ourselves into thinking a decaying, clusterfuck of a city with some of the shittiest people north of the Mason-Dixon Line is one of the great cities of North America even though the majority of us were raised and/or live 50 to 200 miles or more outside of that city.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know all too well how it feels to have the badness of others build an undeserved reputation for others. Get that a lot up here in Wisconsin. There's a couple Mainers in politics I don't like. When I think of Vermont I think of Newhart and that's good. It sucks that shitty people get so much attention that it affects everyone else in a great big radius.

But the Boston Red Sox post-04 reputation was earned by those kinds of people that have received so much attention.