Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Regular Season 2021

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Most cities I think are fundamentally the same as far as fanbases. They have their shitheads, they have their intelligent fans, they have their front runners. As a Phillies fan I’m obliged to hate Atlanta and their stupid chop. But Atlanta has wonderful people in it.

Anyway, decided to watch the Mariners game to start. Their fans are hyped and I would love to see that team go further. The Angels have one decent player in their entire lineup and unfortunately Shohei Ohtani led off with his 46th home run of the season.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mariners have made the playoffs 4 times in their existence and they all came in a six year span

alkeiper

Reaction score
Nats announcers point out the Red Sox have thrown 100+ pitches into the fifth. They are not going to be in good shape going into a playoff.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Doesn't look like this will be the year Seattle's number of playoff appearances matches the number of the players in their history who have gotten injured with ruptured testicles. :(

Red Sox look like butt today too. Hopefully, the Rays will manage to sweep the Yankees at least.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Sox hold on and it's Yankees at Red Sox in the wildcard game.

Everything set now:

AL

Yankees at Red Sox (winner plays Rays)

White Sox at Astros

NL

Cardinals at Dodgers (winner plays Giants)

Braves at Brewers

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Go kick rocks!

It is funny that with all of the wild scenarios at play, we ended up with the Red Sox Vs Yankees again.

alkeiper

Reaction score
According to Baseball Reference WAR.

AL MVP: Shohei Ohtani, 9.0
NL MVP: Zack Wheeler, 7.8

Ohtani is a no-brainer. Wheeler? He had a great season. I don't know if I buy him as an MVP candidate. It probably refects a weak slate of candidates more than anything. Juan Soto is the leader among position players FWIW.

AL Cy Young: Robbie Ray, 6.7
NL Cy Young: Zack Wheeler, 7.6

Wheeler or Walker Buehler. I think something screwy is going on over Wheeler's calculation. Robbie Ray? Absolutely.

AL Rookie of the Year: Randy Arozarena, 4.2
NL Rookie of the Year: Jonathan India, 3.9

Arozarena went 20/20. India hit 21 home runs but otherwise is just a good, solid player. A real bright spot for the Reds.

AL LVP: Hunter Dozier, -2.6
NL LVP: Jake Arrieta, -2.6

The metrics did not like Dozier's defense and I think the Royals agree. They moved him off of third base in August. You'll note Arrieta has a better WAR overall than as a pitcher. Don't let his pitching blind you from the fact that he hit .130.

AL Cy Yuk: Justus Sheffield, -1.9
NL Cy Yuk: Jake Arrieta, -2.7

Yeah. That the Padres gave Arrieta four starts shows you how desperate they were for starting pitching. Perhaps Wheeler leading the majors in IP means something after all.

AL Worst Rookie: Jarred Kelenic, -1.7
NL Worst Rookie: Jason Vosler, -0.9

Sheffield and Kelenic combined for -3.6 WAR. Two replacement level players instead means they play today. Jason Vosler cost the Giants their 108th win and he should sit in a corner and think about what he did.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As much as I want Corbin Burnes to get the NL Cy, I know that's not happening.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Hey @alkeiper where would you rank Urias for Cy Young? Dude has a 20-3 record, the only 20 game winner in the majors. He had a sub 3.0 era at 2.96, 195 Ks, only 151 hits and 19 HR in 185.2 innings pitched. Those numbers seem like he should be a lock for it.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Hey @alkeiper where would you rank Urias for Cy Young? Dude has a 20-3 record, the only 20 game winner in the majors. He had a sub 3.0 era at 2.96, 195 Ks, only 151 hits and 19 HR in 185.2 innings pitched. Those numbers seem like he should be a lock for it.
Win/loss records don't mean as much as they used to. With respect to Urias he had an absolutely terrific season. He's 7th in innings pitched in the National League, 7th in ERA, 9th in ERA+. Of the six pitchers with more IP, three of them have lower ERAs. Urias got the most run support of any starter in the league and the Dodgers led the league in run support. Old school voters would probably list him first. He's fourth for me. But that's just an indication of the great seasons Walker Buehler, Zack Wheeler and Kevin Gausman had. Urias had a great season too.