Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Spring Training 2020

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day, everybody!

I've always wondered, there are literally dozens upon dozens of deals deferred the way Bonilla's is, across every sport, and yet this is the one that gets the most press, why is that? I know "it's the MetsLOL" is always an answer, but I've always wondered about a real answer on that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My friend Shaun is a huge Mets fan. He is having a son in a few months. His son will be 15 when the Mets stop paying Bobby Bonilla. Bobby Bonilla hasn’t played baseball in at least 20 years.

this post sounds like a word problem. Anyway, I hope my friend Shaun doesn’t raise his kid as a Mets fan.

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always wondered, there are literally dozens upon dozens of deals deferred the way Bonilla's is, across every sport, and yet this is the one that gets the most press, why is that? I know "it's the MetsLOL" is always an answer, but I've always wondered about a real answer on that.

They have to pay Bonilla for 15 more years

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I neglected the element that the Mets did it partly because their owner was getting such a good rate of return on his investments.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Testing snafus aplenty today. The Angels and Astros had to cancel workouts today because they did not receive their COVID tests back.

Nick Markakis joins David Price, Felix Hernandez and others in opting out of the 2020 season.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Yes, they used to alternate between all-DH and no-DH World Series. Even numbered years between 1976-86 had the DH. Odd numbered years did not.

That actually seems like a good trivia question. When was the first designated hitter used in a World Series game? Not until 1976 (Dan Driessen and Lou Piniella).

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even Florida in July & August (in a pandemic hotspot) is preferable to having to live in Buffalo for two months, I guess.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Buffalo makes a lot of sense. The ballpark is closer to an MLB stadium and since they made the schedule before they were sure where the team was playing, there's hardly a difference in travel between it and Toronto, so it wouldn't really matter to other team's road trips.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The biggest issue for players is finding lodging. It's probably far easier to do that in Dunedin where everyone goes for several weeks than in Buffalo. Only thing I might suggest is if you're not in front of fans anyway, why not double up at the Trop where you can at least play in comfort?

Other big Blue Jays news, Vlad Jr. is already moving off of third base.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you think about it, Florida is a lot more convenient/centrally located than Buffalo. If they do at the spring training facility, they're near Tampa and in semi-reasonable driving distance of Atlanta and Miami. Only MLB stadiums within driving distance of Buffalo are Pittsburgh and Cleveland, two teams that Blue Jays won't play this season.

alkeiper

Reaction score
We've got the Pittsburgh Blue Jays this season, mostly. The Jays will play one home series in Washington against the Nats and another in New York against the Yankees.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good for Betts. I still believe had it not been for the Pandemic he was hell bent on being an unrestricted Free Agent and going to the highest bidder. The uncertainty of Pro sports financially right now makes it really dumb to wait for that and just take a great offer now instead. The length of this deal makes me feel less bad about him not staying in Boston though. I think he's an all around monster player but I highly doubt he will be playing at an elite level for at least the last 5 years of that contract.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For news that's only important to me and the one or two other Cubs fans here, there's been heavy rumors of The Cubs Marquee Network making a deal with Comcast that will be announced on Friday. Jed Hoyer implied a deal was made on the radio as well. So, Cubs fans in Illinois can watch them. So, that's good although the Cubs not making any improvements to their hitting or pitching makes it kind of a hard season for me to get into. Can see a lot of their hitters taking too long to get going and their pitching looks really bad for the first time in a while, so they could end up falling behind quick.