Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLW v2

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I've started the thread because they deserve their own attention.

MLW's relaunch has been producing very, very solid shows. They've adopted the classic ECW TV approach, filming one 3-4 hour event and breaking it down for a few weeks' of TV, and there's been a strong focus on building stories. Some of those have taken a hit from WWN pulling contracted talent (it was clear early on that Matt Riddle was to be a focal point until then), but there's been some great work by Shane Strickland, Pentagon Jr., "Filthy" Tom Lawlor, and Simon Gotch.

Also of note, it introduced me to Salina de la Renta (Mila Naniki), who improves at her "evil bitch" managerial role every time she's on camera. She's also damn easy to look at.

One thing I'll note, though, is the irony that Sami Callihan is probably at his most over and relevant when he's putting out his worst work.

Anyways, their weekly show Fusion is available on BeIn Sports and on YouTube. It's a nice and easy ~hour to breeze through, with time given to talent and storylines all over the card (which is SO GODDAMN REFRESHING), and it also serves as the return of Tony Schiavone to the world of pro wrestling. He gets better with each show, too, and there are plenty of little things he brings to the table (like how to cover for a botched spot) that is so sorely missing from most products.

https://youtu.be/7zq--bejih8

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Good to see a thread about this company!

I fortunately have BeIn Sports on my regional sports networks on Directv and started watching this from the first episode. So far I've been VERY impressed by the formula they impliment, as well as production and commentary is great with Tony and the former Rich Brennan from NXT.

I think they have done a great job getting their own unique niche in the wrestling marketplace.....they list themselves as "fusion wrestling" in a sense and this is what I get from the output. They have matchups with guys that in some cases have a bit of different styles coming together. They play upon legitimate athletic backgrounds more than most companies do in wrestling, and I am certainly getting the 90s ECW vibe from this overall.

It seems like this just gets better each week really. This past weeks show of Swann's debut (pretty competitive and exciting match for what it was), the Swagger match and then Calihan/Janela was all good.

MLW is a good example, maybe the best, in that they are just simply playing to the strengths of their talent and even though the roster is small (even smaller than Impact I think?) they make the most of the talent for sure.

Laz

Reaction score
Episode 10 starts off hot with a major return.
TEDDY HART
He has a match with Trey Miguel that is just perfect for what it is. ((Spoiler)) gives enough room for Miguel to really show off, and that he does. It's very rare for somebody with as little experience as Miguel, 5 years working but nowhere truly notable until recently, to understand how to connect their spots and sequences so fluidly, and ((spoiler)) gives him plenty of room to shine without it feeling phony. Very good match, killer start.

Then we have a segment where ((spoiler)) cuts a promo about stealing the show and then tries picking a fight with ACH and Rich Swann, which felt very authentic. That's something MLW is nailing with most of their promo segments: a sense of authenticity.

Barrington Hughes...meh. Generic fat monster, talks like a low rent Keith Lee. I know Court Bauer and MSL love variety, and I really dig how they work it, but this guy's shit.

Laz

Reaction score
Oh hell yeah, they're pushing Kotto Brasil. I want a program between him and Miguel.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
L'AZentat said:
Oh hell yeah, they're pushing Kotto Brasil. I want a program between him and Miguel.

Kotto is so good. Miguel I first saw on Rockstar Pro when they had their show on Fite a coupe years ago and I was instantly hooked to him. He's got a ton of talent. That match would be fantastic.

Laz

Reaction score
I cut off just as Brody/Strickland was about to start, but you can track how comfortable Salina de la Renta is getting with each promo. Her insulting the interviewer for not being able to speak Spanish was hilarious and felt so damn natural.

I have a feeling I'm going to fall madly in love with pro wrestling again soon, at least so long as the growing "cinema verite" approach continues. It's like an entire generation remembered what made World Class, Mid South, JCP, and ECW so great.

Laz

Reaction score
She could be a Young Earther with them curves for all I care...

Laz

Reaction score
I'm so so so so so glad that Brody King reined himself in from his worse habits because the match with Strickland is classic "giant vs. underdog" wrestling with a modern presentation. Brody hits hard and can take a beating, but Strickland's experience and speed make up for it. Plus? Strickland going MEAN with the stomps and kicks, payback for the sneak attack two weeks ago, only to lose every strike exchange because...seriously, he shouldn't be out-striking a guy twice his size who's meant to be a wild brawler.

Killer finish, too, and it goes the classic "barely got him" route to keep both guys strong without it being bullshit.

OH SHIT, LOWKI IS WITH SALINA!!!!

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
BeIn Sports announced they will air a 2 hour MLW episode on 7/27 devoted to the NYC supershow Battle Riot event. I guess there was some thought on making it an actual pay per view taped event, but they decided to go this way instead. I would guess they might do an extra added hour the following week as well to air more content from that show.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/mlw-battle-riot-airing-two-hour-special-bein-sports/

– Major League Wrestling’ Battle Riot event will air on July 27th as a two-hour special on BeIN Sports. PWInsider reports that the announcement was made today after negotiations closed earlier in the day, just before the announcement was made.

According to the site, there was an offer to make the show a taped PPV, but Couret Bauer decided that a broadcast TV special would be more effective in getting attention for the brand bringing eyeballs to the product. Announced so far for the show are:

* 40 Man Battle Riot Match featuring Rich Swann, Jason Cade, Joey Ryan, Pierre Carl Oulette, Kevin Sullivan, ACH, Swoggle, John Morrison, Lance Anoa’i, Konnan, Sami Callihan, Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Teddy Hart with more to be announced.
* The Hart Foundation (Teddy Hart & Davey Boy Smith Jr. w/Brian Pillman II) vs. ACH and Rich Swann
* Low Ki vs. John Hennigan
* Jimmy Havoc vs. Pentagon Jr

Laz

Reaction score
Battle Riot wasn't bad, but it further proves that Pat Patterson is the best person to layout a battle royal ever.

Tom Lawlor is a natural, but he needs to work on his punches. I understand he's holding back so he doesn't legitimately hurt anybody, and I tip my hat to him over it, but snugging them up a little would make everything that much better.

LowKi? Champ in 2018? Can't wait to see who he quits over this time...and I'll be anxiously awaiting every title defense.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
There's been a lot of rumors lately about Fenix and Pentagon being WWE bound. Well, the brothers just cancelled their apearance at the 10/4 MLW tapings in NY. Take that as you will.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
There's been a lot of rumors lately about Fenix and Pentagon beng WWE bound. Well, the brothers just cancelled their apearance at the 10/4 MLW tapings in NY. Take that as you will.

As long as they don't cancel for All In.

But if true this really fucking sucks. I just absolutely do not like WWE's product. It really bums me out to see everyone I like go work somewhere that I can't stand to watch.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I hope they dont lose Fenix and Pentagon as they are just in the middle of an angle with Konnan taking over managing them as they broke away from Serena De La Renta's group this past weekend on TV. I suppose if need-be, they can make that into an angle to explain their departure. The word is though that both guys are still under a Lucha Underground contract which would prevent them from signing with WWE unless LU frees them. Which they may have done, who knows. It's not like there seems to be any potential for another LU season at this point.

This past weeks' show was maybe one of my favorites since they started on BeIn Sports. The main was Hennigan vs Teddy Hart which was what you would expect, a spotfest to say the least. Janela and MJF was pretty good too with brawling all over the place, and then Brazil and Calihan was also pretty damn good.

For a one hour show, the company really gets a lot of talent over in that short of a time. Loving the build for WarGames so far too. That will be right around the corner and hope they do another 2 hour episode for it in mid Sept.

Laz

Reaction score
What I'm loving about the show is how each set of tapings is that much better than the last. I've even come around on Barrington Hughes since the backstage brawl with the Death Machines (though I really, really wish they'd get away from the faux-Wyatts "handmade but clearly not" gear) and Brody King (who needs some fucking wins and is hampered by not being a true Hansen/Bruiser Brody type wild hoss monster).

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Don't know who still follows MLW but I just got done watching this week's show on YouTube. Brian Pillman Jr. has his dad's mannerisms down but he's still green as hell. Simon Gotch (WWE apparently abandoned the copyright on his name so he's free to use it) is doing an MMA gimmick which is weird.

I love that they bring in a variety of luchadores. They have Rush and Dragon Lee coming in on upcoming shows.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
Don't know who still follows MLW but I just got done watching this week's show on YouTube. Brian Pillman Jr. has his dad's mannerisms down but he's still green as hell. Simon Gotch (WWE apparently abandoned the copyright on his name so he's free to use it) is doing an MMA gimmick which is weird.

I love that they bring in a variety of luchadores. They have Rush and Dragon Lee coming in on upcoming shows.

It's in my weekly viewing, and I'm loving it. I had know idea who Tom Lawlor was before I started watching, as I don't watch MMA, but I've become a big fan of his over the past few months. It's still a fun as hell show.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/MLW/status/1085265866105577473

Dreamer's partner will be some ECW alum (Raven, RVD, Sabu, Sandman) while Pillman Jr. will probably team with Shane Douglas (ugh).

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah, seems logical that that mystery partner tag will be former ECW alums. Raven just formed a loose alliance with Dreamer in Impact (but then there was no follow up oddly) so that would make sense. Or having Raven join Pillman instead and put Sandman with Dreamer to bring some former ECW rivarlies full circle. I wonder if Kevin Sullivan might also be a part of this given the storyline from before with Pillman Jr bloodying him up months ago.

Really as a whole enjoyed the set of tapings from Miami that aired over the last x number of weeks. Honestly, their best stuff yet as a whole overall taping went IMO.

Sucks they lost Rush to ROH, so they shifted that NYC match w/ LA Park (who I'm enjoying in MLW bigtime w/ all the rest of Selena's group) to Pentagon instead. They had a barnburner of a brawl in Ft Lauderdale during the WarGames taping so high expectations here.

The way they have presented and pushed Lo-Ki as MLW champion has been fantastic. In his last two major encounters he both shanked Konnan and worked an cauliflower rip on Daga, both with intense bloodshed and chaos in the post-match angles. This is the kind of stuff that makes sense at the top of the card and adds layer of heat to Ki and the Selena group as a whole. Really loving it all.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
As a follow up.....MLW is doing another live event on BeIn Sports on Feb 2 for the Philly show. I wonder if this is going to become a regular thing at every taping now.

So far they announced the tag title match w/ Lucha Bros vs Hart Foundation and wouldnt be shocked to see them add the MLW title match w/ Lo-Ki and Tom Lawler, but we will see. Maybe they want to save that for the following week.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The way they've built Low-Ki vs Lawlor has made it feel huge, as well. It's a 7 month build that saw Lawlor go from hated heel to top babyface over the time. He had to go through Sami Callihan, the mercenary for Selina, and dealt with a turn from his friend. It's been a fantastic story. Nothing complicated, very straight forward. They didn't need twists and turns, outside of the Simon Gotch turn.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
MLW just signed power wrestler Hammerstone. Some might remember him from PPW. He's been a mainstay in PCW Ultra, WCWC, Ring Warriors, and other West coast companies. Dude is really good.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I read they officially announced the MLW title match with Lawler and Ki to the live broadcast. That's gonna be a hell of an hour that night with that and the tag title match.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Doesn't look like I'll be watching Superfight tonight but I'm hoping to catch it tomorrow sometime. Card looks good. I wasn't sold on Filthy Tom at first but he's really come into his own. Hart Foundation/Lucha Bros should be awesome too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Superfight was only three matches. Most of the advertised card occured at the TV tapings. Hart Foundation/Lucha Bros was good but Lawlor/Ki wasn't much of a match and was only about 6 minutes long. Seemed kind of odd to end Ki's reign and undefeated streak that way but it did make Lawlor look dominant.

Court Bauer confirmed on Twitter that the Lucha Bros are gone which frees them up to do AEW.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
Superfight was only three matches. Most of the advertised card occured at the TV tapings. Hart Foundation/Lucha Bros was good but Lawlor/Ki wasn't much of a match and was only about 6 minutes long. Seemed kind of odd to end Ki's reign and undefeated streak that way but it did make Lawlor look dominant.

Court Bauer confirmed on Twitter that the Lucha Bros are gone which frees them up to do AEW.

They're still under Lucha Underground contract, so if they work AEW, they can't sign a deal, or at least an exclusive one.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:

Dreamer's partner will be some ECW alum (Raven, RVD, Sabu, Sandman) while Pillman Jr. will probably team with Shane Douglas (ugh).

Well Dreamer's partner was Sandman (no shock there) but they got really lazy with Pillman's partner who was Davey Boy Smith Jr. Cameo by the Blue Meanie.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
Epic Reine said:

Well Dreamer's partner was Sandman (no shock there) but they got really lazy with Pillman's partner who was Davey Boy Smith Jr. Cameo by the Blue Meanie.

He and Davey are in a stable together. I don't think that's lazy at all. Why not ask you partner, who is tag team champion, to help you take out your rival? Better than another washed up former ECW alum.