Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLW v2

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
How come no one told me Tim Donaghy refs for MLW now? I had to do a triple-take after reading that headline. This is huge!

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That sounds super beneficial to both parties. Get underused NXT talent a place to work and learn from industry veterans every few weeks, get MLW some needed talent to actually work the shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tajiri won the MLW Middleweight Title last night.

Court, when fans say they want things to be more like Japanese wrestling, they don’t mean like Keiji Mutoh’s GHC Title run.

Laz

Reaction score
Don't matter. BUZZSAW!!

...you know, the addition of LU characters may have been a smart business move to capture some of the fans that don't have that show around to watch, but it's totally killed whatever interest I've had in the company.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Pillman talked about how he was only making about 12-15K a year in MLW. Being a farmer pays better.

Laz

Reaction score
I caught this week's Fusion (now Fusion Alpha). The opening tag between 5150 and Injustice not only rocked because it felt like the kind of frantic FIGHT that I want out of pro wrestling, with the highspots occurring at a natural flow that aided the story being told, but also convinced me that Jordan Oliver isn't just a piece of shit job guy and could be a capable face.

I don't always agree with you, @Big Beard Booty Daddy , but I do now on Oliver.

Also, Danny Rivera is going to be a big fucking deal with a little more seasoning. USMC veteran, natural charisma, and his work is believable as hell. Court needs to push 5150 something fierce and parlay Rivera to being a singles star, because he's got that perfect street tough shitkicker vibe to him. More than maybe anybody else I've watched in the last few years.

Also, Fatu vs. Hammerstone as the main for Fightland (the footage premiering tonight on Vice) should be interesting to watch. Hammerstone has a great look and is solid enough, and Fatu can BRING IT when he cuts loose, but the odd factor is that it matters less how good the match is and more how the booking unfolds during and after. That's been MLW's strength since the return, really: good, effective, meaningful booking.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think what really helps Limelight is that he's been working as an actor the past 2-3 years, as well as wrestling. He had decent charisma before that, but since then, he's gotten so much better. He's someone that AEW missed the boat on. He was brought in during the pandemic and they loved him. He was a mainstay on Dark, but you could tell they would have loved to have him around. He's still very young, if he wants to to go there eventually, but he's going to be a top light heavyweight for years.

Regarding Oliver, one of the things that really connected with me was how he treats my daughter. He was a regular for a now defunct company, and was their champion. I brought my daughter to many of their shows, and for some reason she just loved watching him. He's her favorite wrestler, and loves meeting him at GCW shows. He treats her amazingly good (she's on the spectrum). He seeks her out during his entrance and even gave her a hug after a big match he won. Even if he hadn't gotten better in the ring, I'd still since his praises. But he took much of the criticism to heart. I was talking to him, and he mentioned that he did freestyle wrestling growing up, so he wanted to bring more of the ground work to his game, and it shows. He's one of the most improved wrestlers since the start of the pandemic. He's calmed down on the high spots, which is great.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
table-flip-alan-rickman.gif

@Laz when he sees this news

Laz

Reaction score
Yeahhhhh...like, that's just dumb. At least the "we really wish we were World Class/ECW" days were based on companies that, you know, worked for a while.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
They already failed at Lucha Underground. They created it as another brand, did their draft for a roster and shot some stuff. They were trying to sell it to a network as a second show, and no one bought it, not even Vice, which their regular show is on. Now all the talent brought in for that show will just be part of their regular show.

Laz

Reaction score
As much as I disliked Lucha Underground, at least MLW brought in Dario, and I wish Cobb kept the Matanza gimmick because that look worked for him much better than his usual one.

The War Chamber episode is pretty solid. I'm not that far into it, but I love how they built up the Chamber during the first 10 minutes of the show, hyped the next few weeks, AND bucked the expectations by having Fatu and the Team Hammerstone mystery partner be the first entrant. Plus? An incredible 5150 promo video that only increases the likelihood of Rivera being a major star sooner rather than later.

Further proof that, pound for pound, Fusion might be the best wrestling TV show right now.

Laz

Reaction score
Further proof that, pound for pound, Fusion might be the best wrestling TV show right now.
I say this and then retract it a bit because holy shit is most of the featured roster either green or garbage.

I wonder what kind of a product Bauer could put forth if the talent regularly pushed could actually put on good matches. He's in a no-win position, really, because MLW is big enough to get scouted by AEW/WWE/Impact for the talents worth a damn, but too small to be offering enough money to the right workers to make the show really worth it. It's gotta be a matter of time until Jacob Fatu is WWE bound, barring any legal issues I'm not aware of, because he's the best overall talent bell-to-bell they have.

Hammerstone is still a great watch, but that's more because of his charisma and look. He's basically what happens when an 80s WWF monster is allowed to show a late 90s WWF attitude (heh), but I'd hoped he would have improved more in the last few years than he has. Amazing presence and I've seen him do good work, so maybe it's just a case of plotting his matches to his strengths instead of having him try to be a workrate guy.

Currently, the guys to watch in MLW are:
-Jacob Fatu
-Hammerstone
-Danny Rivera
-Myron Reed
-Jordan Oliver (which is nuts to say)
-Jeff Cobb (who I wish stayed as Matanza because that look is great)
-Cesar Duran (the former Dario Cueto)

I miss Salina :'-(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The MLW roster also includes names like Jacob Fatu, Davey Richards, TJP, The Von Erichs, nZo, Myron Reed, Richard Holliday, Calvin Tankman, Alex Shelley, King Mo, Los Parks, EJ Nduka, Savio Vega, Homicide, and The Blue Meanie, among others.

What?
The Blue Meanie
WHAT!?!?

Laz

Reaction score
King Mo was part of Tom Lawlor's faction for a brief moment. Utter, utter dogshit as a pro wrestler.