Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
i think conor will win, but Cowboy at +280 is pretty tasty. Conor has been training but really, he hasn't won an MMA fight in 3 years. He got knocked down by Khabib the last time out, he can talk about how he didn't take him seriously in the standup but his defence is still lacking. I know Cowboy is kinda washed but I still think a guy that hasn't won in three years (last beating a guy Cowboy beat too) is still not worth that kind of respect on the books.

I know Conor can easily KO him in a couple of minutes, but I also think it's more likely than 3:1 that Cowboy survives an onslaught and carves him up with elbows and knees before high kicking him into oblivion.

Conor has never beaten a guy with the dynamic striking of someone like Cowboy. I think Conor's hands are that much better that he will probably win, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see someone as tough as Cowboy weather an early storm and proceed to put on a striking clinic on a tired Conor. My only issue is that the Gaethje fight was only 4 months ago.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Caught it on YouTube last night. Wasn’t paying that price for a predictable one right card. Also wasn’t getting out to watch it elsewhere with the roads being trash in my area. I thought it would go a round. Didn’t think it’d be under a minute with Donald not getting a single shot in.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Reyes is worth a bet at +400 imo. He has a path to victory and isn’t the kind of guy who will wilt in the face of adversity. That is great value.

Staff member
Reaction score
Valentina is the pinnacle of WMMA. Nobody is coming close.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
It’s already coming out that the judge that scored 4-1 Jones was the same judge the commentary team was calling out for not even watching a fight earlier.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
What sucks for Reyes is that it seems like the only time to get Jon is in the first fight. After he’s downloaded his opponent the first time it gets easier for him.

Staff member
Reaction score
I was cool with either guy winning 48-47.

Youth N Asia said:
What sucks for Reyes is that it seems like the only time to get Jon is in the first fight. After he’s downloaded his opponent the first time it gets easier for him.

I strongly disagree. There are a few distinctions that need to be pointed out.

1. Jones was getting dominated by Cormier before the head kick.

2. Gus is a shot fighter who very well could be a USADA guy in his own right. The difference in his performance levels is rather alarming. Maybe Rumble just busted his brain in.

Now in the case of Reyes, he's still an improving fighter who had a large jump up in competition. The best 205 pounders that he fought were OSP and Volkan. Cannonier is clearly not a 205 pounder and Weidman was a corpse. There's obviously no guarantee that a rematch would go well for Reyes, but this was also his first five round fight. There's a lot to be learned from something like that. As I was telling the guys in the chat, while Volkan was able to take Reyes down, Reyes was still in the stage of his career where there could be drastic improvements in his fighting ability. He showed that when defending takedowns tonight. He's still in that stage where he can make the improvement needed to more definitively beat Jones. A good example is Conor's ability to defend takedowns against Mendes compared to right now. The Conor who fought Mendes would never have been able to stay off the ground for a single second against Khabib. He stayed off the mat for a round against Khabib. I don't think it's like if Thiago was to get a rematch against Jones coming off a completely blown knee at 36 years old.

Also, it needs to be said that Jones is a declining fighter. There is a rather consistent downward trend in the manner in which he is obtaining these results.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was close but Jones took it, 3-2. Even if Solis graded it for Reyes, Jones still wins. You can't retreat for the last two rounds of a title fight and expect to win. Like 909 said, Reyes has the tools in place to potentially beat Jones when or if they have a rematch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could see it going 1, 2, 3 for Dom or 3, 4, 5 for Jones. I went with the former, but giving four rounds to Jones like that one judge did is absurd. I guess he awarded Round 1 to Jones which is insane.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had Jones 48-47, but it was very interesting to see Jones's body language early on when he was clearly uncomfortable. My buddy bet $500 to win $100, so as soon as I saw that I was getting worried for him.

I think Reyes reach will always bother Jones, but until we see a rematch I'm not sure he can beat him. That said I am notoriously wrong on when champions lose and to whom.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28666365

Personal opinions about who won the fight aside, is it ever a good sign when the guy who runs the sport is questioning the quality of the judging?

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had Reyes winning 1, 2 and 3 but I'll go back and rewatch. I was also glad that Valentina put in work like she did, she had a moving target in front of her and could have easily been content to potshot her for twenty five minutes and instead she put her away.

Also it needs to be said that the Jon Jones who showed up on Saturday night gets put away inside of two rounds by Stylebender. Izzy is a smart fighter too and knows that Jon comes on strong late and I think he'd put it on him early.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m looking at the card tonight and there isn’t one fight that makes me go, I NEED to sit down and watch this.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Once Diego found out he could get out of the fight with a DQ win he was suddenly unable to compete. Lost face but cashed a check.

Staff member
Reaction score
He shouldn't be given a license to fight anymore, the same thing that should have happened to BJ and countless other guys who have no business standing in there taking more brain damage. The connection between his brain and his arms doesn't work anymore, so this was target practice. When he was running forward not throwing anything I was just hoping he wouldn't get knocked dead.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This guy wasn't mentally all there 15 years ago on TUF, I can only imagine his brain now.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah that kind of a KO is rare in womens' mma. Nasty stuff.

Felder vs Hooker was everything I wanted it to be. Easy pick for FOTY so far.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tito-ortiz-alberto-el-patron-combate-americas-texas-010401491.html

Tito’s win over Alberto has been changed to a no decision. No reason given yet.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
If they can’t crown a champion with this fight I could see the division being killed off entirely.