Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love Barboza's because he literally turned Etim into a statue but the way that Impa's eyes roll back in his head like Undertaker and the five second delay before he takes the plunge.....oh my lord. If it isn't the GOAT KO, it's easily in the top five ever.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought he was cooked when he shaved his head just to make weight but man Ortega looked incredible. That layoff did him good.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not that you really needed yet another reason to want Lawler to send him to the shadow realm but unfortunately we won't get to see that. Hopefully his replacement does the job.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jake Hager only won a split decision against a guy nobody's ever heard of.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I didn’t see the Fight but I saw a streamable Link to the end of the second where he took some heavy punches and stayed standing. Not the best defence but a helluva chin. I think it’s too late for this guy to develop the striking, but they’ll probably build him up to get ktfo by a prospect down the line.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jake Hager only won a split decision against a guy nobody's ever heard of.
5f1f2a4157292.image.jpg

Looks like he'd be fighting Chris Condo, Travis Fulton, or Brad Koehler on the undercard of a 1999 UFC show.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
So... what are the chances that a twenty-one year-old kid, who dropped out of high school to focus on MMA, and has a full arm sleeve tattoo of an American flag and the Statue of Liberty, isn't full-blown MAGA?

If she were a dude, would this even be a question?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Arlovski has won three of his last four, including a fight where he was a big underdog against a young prospect.

I am definitely working myself into believing in a Cinderella Man run here. But seriously, this guy’s career is under appreciated. He’s been out of his prime for like ten years, still relevant. He fought in the UFC in 2000!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Arlovski is a weird case of someone's chin improving as he got older. I always like and root for him even when it seemed like his career was close to toast. I think in heavyweight dudes are always a few impressive performances away from getting a title shot, so never say never to him going on a Glover type badass old man run. It seems like a longshot, but I'm rooting for the Pitbull.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Next week's main event also scrapped as Kevin Holland has the rona

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
They have a new main event. Marvin Vettori steps in and gets a step up in competition. He’s talked a lot about how his split decision loss to Adesanya proves he’s elite. He gets the chance against a fighter who presents stylistic problems for him.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This Stuart Scott package is really good, great way to raise funds for cancer research. I had no idea him and his daughters loved mma, very cool.
Also weird that he’s gone, he was so young.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Thanks. I didn't really get people thinking he was dodging or avoiding people since his relinquishment of the LHW belt. The guy needs time to bulk up his frame.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Looking at their respective records, through the ESPN app, and one thing that stood out to me about this Torres/Hughes fight was that all five of Hughes' five wins came against opponents who were involved in their first career fight. With this TKO loss to Torres, Hughes has now lost both of her fights versus opponents with >1 career fights on their record. Is that, like, common in MMA?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at their respective records, through the ESPN app, and one thing that stood out to me about this Torres/Hughes fight was that all five of Hughes' five wins came against opponents who were involved in their first career fight. With this TKO loss to Torres, Hughes has now lost both of her fights versus opponents with >1 career fights on their record. Is that, like, common in MMA?
Much more common in women's MMA.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
UFC PPVs are now $70 starting with the Conor/Dustin event. Didn’t the last price jump involve a Conor card? This show’s undercard is a complete nothing.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

amazing article, but this is so fuckin' sad, man. I was a huge fan of this guy back in the day. It's ridiculous how long it's taking to get people to care about this to the point where Dana fronts the medical costs for fighters, post-career. There are a large number of fans who are ignorant about the brain damage involved and its effects on mental health and function. I don't know how you can be ignorant in 2021, but hopefully stories like this keep pushing things forward.

I just read about this on sherdog and it is also heartbreaking:

This guy used to be articulate and never stumbled over his words, now he can barely slur out a sentence.