Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cheesecake is one of my favorites to watch/have a crush on but man, I think she’s getting cut after that performance.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I didn’t realize this was on during the day. I guess that makes sense with the playoff game starting at 8:30.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I figured I'd throw the prelims on while I clean and wait for the playoffs to start.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This fight coming up has a lot of hype, two undefeated fighters at one of the higher weights. Lots of finishes on their records, too.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
My god Soriano lived up to the hype as a legit power puncher. Dusko had good movement and he still found the target and finished him in the first round. Soriano is gonna make some waves.

Dusko took insane punishment, I don't know how he was still able to be coherent by the end of that. He's still a good prospect, just ran into a freight train too soon. I was amazed at how he kept fighting through all that though.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Dana just said Khabib said he would never tie up the division but if one of these lightweights have a spectacular performance, Khabib would be motivated to come back.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So the big Khabib announcement was “he’s gonna watch the fights next week and see if he wants to fight anyone”

...ok

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dana just said Khabib said he would never tie up the division but if one of these lightweights have a spectacular performance, Khabib would be motivated to come back.
I'm about to fall asleep but I'll get up from my nap around 430 for the main event in chat

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Santiago's 8-win streak isn't really worth hyping when he's been out for two years, unfortunately for him he got in there with the wrong level of opponent. Feel bad for him but I think Li would've done that to him at any point, he was always overhyped imo.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Condit's washed but his groudn game and instincts/fight IQ are still on point. Always fun watching him fihgt. Makes me sad that fighters like him are leaving, he has a very unique style and personality. A true throwback that's got a resume few can match.

Last edited:

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Beautiful performance by Condit, I was surprised the commentary thought the fight was so close.

Max is treating this guy like he did Ortega.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Problem Kattar has is even when he can get shots off he has been beaten up so much and is so gassed that he doesn't have anything behind them.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This is worse than the Ortega fight, mma corners are pretty dumb. This audio of Kattar’s corner before the fifth is kind of a joke. He will never be the same after this fight.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
This main card has been dynamite. Shocked Herb didn’t step in and stop it in the forth. But Kattar kept finding moments to fire back... corner should have probably stepped in by now though.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still thought the Ortega fight was worse. Ortega couldn't even touch Max.

The problem with Kattar, and the announcers said this before the fight even started, was that he was a slow starter. That's not gonna work against Max because the guy doesn't get tired and Kattar doesn't and didn't have the ability to switch to wrestling like Volk did so Max was able to just beat on him. Kattar surrendered the initiative to Max from Round 1 on and was presumably going to rely on his power in the later rounds to beat a guy who has never been dropped, let alone KO'd. Unfortunately for him, Kattar was getting beat on so badly -- particularly to the body -- that even if he was able to hit Max with power strikes (which he did) they had nothing behind them because of the beating he endured throughout.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Paul "The Polar Bear" Varelans, an early UFC star, lost his battle with COVID-19 Saturday, passing away at the age of 51.

Varelans had been in a medically induced coma at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, GA, in intensive care, on and off a ventilator and dialysis since December 12th. He had posted on social that he felt really sick two days earlier. Later, after testing positive, he said he felt the worst he ever had like he was in a fight with an expert on kidney punches who was hammering him and the punches never stopped.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually never got around to seeing Max vs Volk either time, so anyone who knows Volk better than I, can Ortega give him problems and we end up in a triple threat of who has the title based on match ups (Ortega over Volk, Max over Ortega, Volk over Max)?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Anybody else feel like this UFC event being scheduled as, basically, counterprogramming to the inauguration, is a political statement on Dana White's part? Or, is that just me? Like, how far in advance was this show booked?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anybody else feel like this UFC event being scheduled as, basically, counterprogramming to the inauguration, is a political statement on Dana White's part? Or, is that just me? Like, how far in advance was this show booked?
I thought that for a second but I think the card is just a flier for foreign guys who can't come to Vegas and fight as there are a lot of foreigners on the card.

As an aside, Cormier is starting to really annoy me as a commentator. When paired with Rogan he is nearly insufferable.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Man I was so hyped for the Saturday card I forgot about this one. It’s mostly weak but has a nice main event, which I guess I’m finding out about right in time.