Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Moments in Movies where Theater Audience Cheered or Clapped

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was thinking about this the other day when watching Independence Day on TV: What moments in movies that you saw in theaters inspired the audience to cheer or clap?

Worth mentioning, I feel like this has become a lot more commonplace in recent years, especially with comic book movies. Like, I can recall a dozen such moments from The Dark Knight (magic trick) or Infinity War (Thor’s arrival) as examples, but part of my experience attributes these more to the atmosphere as a whole, seeing them in fanboy-packed theaters on opening weekends when it’s fully expected. As much fun as they were, they sort of don’t stick out to me as much as these individual ones below. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Independence Day: As referenced above… “Welcome to Earth”, preceded by Will Smith punching out the alien. I specifically remember one guy getting it started by yelling “YEAHHHH!” and then most of the theater joined in with cheering/clapping. No similar reactions for the President’s speech though, or anything else after.

Air Force One: “Get off my plane”, and then Harrison Ford pushes Gary Oldman out of said plane.

Truman Show: Truman exiting through the studio door. I will say this one was probably more like half the theater clapping, not as excited as the previous entries above.

Superman Returns: Only mentioning this due to the movie’s poor reputation, which makes this instance surprising in hindsight. I ended up seeing this opening night, presumably with fanboys I guess, but when the end credits started to roll, there was full applause. I didn’t hate the movie, so I didn’t think it was too crazy at the time.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Return Of the King. Big applause, then stop, big applause without fail for each ending that wasn't the ending.

Force Awakens got insane reactions for everything.

Thomas Hayden Church falling into feces in George Of The Jungle.

Billy Bob fucking in Bad Santa.

Staff member
Reaction score
Widows when the big reveal comes

Bad Boys for Life when Reggie shows up

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood when the dog starts eating motherfuckers

Somehow no notable reactions for any Marvel shit I can think of.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We clapped for Freddy Vs. Jason. We're not a smart populous.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw a preview for Cinderella Man (the unsuccessful Oscar bait James Braddock biopic with Russell Crowe) and there was a bunch of dopes in the crowd that clapped like seals during the fight scenes. I guess they were just really excited to see a free movie.

Opening night of Hot Fuzz at artsy movie theater, there was a lot of cheering

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hate cheering and clapping in a movie theater.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's acceptable if it's a packed opening night screening but also, that's why I usually see movies at odd times so I can ensure I won't have to deal with any idiotic hooting and hollering

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My theater went nuts when Eomer and the Rohirrim showed up at the end of The Two Towers to save the Helms Deep gang.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I remember the audience applauding when Godzilla killed the second M.U.T.O. in "Godzilla". Also, Thanos being defeated in "Avengers: Endgame" and one of the villains getting killed by cars in "Hostel", as well as the kids killing other villains.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The end of the "Party in the USA" scene during The Purge: Election Year. People went nuts seeing the bratty would-be murderer getting run over by the folk hero she knowingly mocked face-to-face earlier.

The only one I can definitely remember is Captain America with Thor's Hammer.
I didn't see this in the theater, but my girlfriend and I cheered from our living room couch when Strange's portals opened up. Literally the greatest payoff in any movie series for me.

Dandy

Reaction score
I have witnessed it a bunch, but here are the specific ones I remember from the midnight showing of The Dark Knight almost exactly 12 years ago:

Joker’s magic trick with the pencil.

His, “Yeah” response.

“You’re gonna love me.”

Batman using the wall to turn the Batpod around.

“We got you, you son of a bitch.”

“I just want my phone call.”

The “In Memory” credits for Heath Ledger.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been in a few theaters where people clapped for the credits. Which I always find silly. But never in mid-movie moment like you guys are talking about.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i usually only go either late late at night or after a movie has been out for several weeks but I went opening night prime time (as it were) for End Game and the crowd went nuts for Cap with the hammer,"Avengers Assemble" and all the women avengers teaming up. I was down with it because it was a cool atmosphere but I wouldn't want it at every movie.

Only other movies I remember going to on opening nights were the LOTR movies. People reacted big to Gollum's first appearence in Two Towers and Gandalf and Rohirrim making the save at Helm's Deep. And a bunch of stuff at the seige of Gondor.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
At the theater I was in, roughly half of Black Panther. Of a similar vein, when they went to Wakanda in Infinity War.

The tribute to Stan at the beginning of Captain Marvel.

Also, most of the last 30 minutes of Endgame.