Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MONSTER HUNTER WORLD

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDS-w29MqeE

DCKohSyUMAAu6Ze.jpg:large

About time Capcom gave something massive from this series to the bigger consoles/PC. Day one!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, this game came out on Friday. It's basically everything I've wanted out of a MonHun game. Highly recommended to anyone who has wanted to get into this series but wasn't sure where to start. Here are a couple of livestreams I did last night if you want an idea of how it plays in the early going (story spoilers obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_XsYc0ThQA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tBhSSzy-to

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I don't have the time I used to have, so I was enjoying it for a few days just running around killing Great Jagras, etc.

I finally made it to the second zone and at first encounter the Barroth fucking wrecked me. After fainting I tracked it down again and slowly started chipping off it's armor and wounding it. When it started limping away I got so pumped - I chased it down into a bog and finished it off.

Then I make it back to town and was able to upgrade my weapon big time using the materials from the kill. Also I had killed enough Jagras to make that set and get away from the starting armor.

I think I am really going to enjoy this game.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, I was going after that Barroth as well.. and I don't know if this was just something that happened or if it was supposed to happen as per the game story, but a fucking DIABLOS came out of nowhere so I high tailed it behind a giant rock.. the Diablos and the Barroth looked like they were going to fight but Diablos took a turn and fucking tore a hole in the ground and basically opened up another part of the map. It was pretty cool to see!

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Sounds like a wild scene.

I also stupidly tried to fight that dragon (Rathain?) just to see how it went... not well.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
It took me about 5 tries (so 15, I guess) but I finally beat the Anjanath. A Rathalos swooping in and wrecking its shit for about 1000 damage helped me out big time, and then I had to run away from the Rathalos I was in no shape to fight. It actually caused my first faint while I was sprinting away. Luckily I was able to get it on my last shot at the quest.

Slowly but surely I'm getting there.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love that this is much more drop-in/drop-out friendly than Destiny. I feel much less lost or behind with this game after not playing for a week. This weekend I stuck to only answering SOS flares and it was super fun. Didn't advance any quests, but got a TON of Tobi Kadachi (pain in the ass lightning lizard) crafting materials for better armor and weapon upgrades.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched Kenny Omega and Jiyuna play this last night. It looks fun. You can play one player right?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had a buddy tell me the story sucks and the grinding is too time consuming. Thoughts?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is what it is as far as the story goes. I'm not sure what your friend was expecting, but it's standard fare for a Japanese fantasy game, IMO.

The entire game is grinding.. but, I think grinding is too harsh of a term for it. This is nowhere near mmo-style grinding. If you put in the time to research and track monsters, you can easily get a new set of armor or weapons within 2-3 encounters (in the early- to mid-going at least).

I find the grind super fun and actually relaxing, tbh. I probably run around exploring and hunting in expetidion mode more than participating in "end-game" stuff. The "end-game" for this are events, bounties and arenas.

--

Also, while you can solo this.. don't be too adverse to playing with other hunters. You don't have to actually communicate with them outside of gestures if you don't want to - and SOS flares will save your ass with the particularly difficult beasts. I leave my game set to "open" and I'm constantly getting drop-ins of folks who are gunning for the same monster as me and it's always been a positive experience (so far).

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Well, none of that is wrong. Do you like boss fights? If you do - then I'd say give it a shot. Every battle is a boss fight.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I do want to play it. It looks like a ton of fun. I have so many other 50+ hour games in my backlog though.

Also this makes me want to play it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh1if49E9f4

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bought it for PS4. I'll start it after I finish Wolfenstein.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Officially the best-selling Capcom title of all-time... http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180305.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One*1 has shipped 7.5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales). A PC version is to be released at a later date.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first Monster Hunter title made its debut 14 years ago in 2004, the series has attracted a dedicated fan base, and overall grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 48 million units worldwide as of March 5, 2018.

Monster Hunter: World is the latest entry in the series, and the first new Monster Hunter title for home consoles in nine years. It is also the first title in the series to be given a global simultaneous launch, and was given an ambitious worldwide promotional campaign in order to further build upon its fan base both in Japan and in markets overseas. As a result, Monster Hunter: World has overcome both linguistic and cultural barriers to delight approximately 7 million players worldwide, and has shipped 7.5 million units, making it the best-selling title in company history.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been playing this game recently. It easts hours in the day like candy.

I think I had the same experience as MIK. I was playing through the first area and doing well then got wrecked by the Barroth. I fainted, went back and found him in the bog and finished him there but he almost got me again.

I take it as the game progresses you're going to want multiple weapons and multiple suits of armor with different elemental attacks and resistances?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I've been using great sword but I find my play style (get in close and go into almost button mashing mode before rolling away) seems to lend itself more to the dual blades. Thoughts?

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Try the hammer. I wound up using it randomly during an arena quest and switched to it. It's a bit of button mashing but also slightly strategic as there is a long animation you can get stuck into if you don't time things right.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll have to give it a shot, although I tried the dual blades and I really like them. I can throw down a ton of hits.

I went after the monster that you find in the top of the tree in the Ancient Forest. I can't remember the name, but it's the blue-gray thing that charges itself up with electricity. It beat me down. It was my first failed quest.

I guess maybe I'll set my party to 4 next time and get some allies to go whip his ass. Wait, can you use allies on story quests?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is anyone still playing this?

I'm 38 hours in and feel like I'm still far off. I'm only HR 9.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I stopped just because I got way too into Fortnite. I'll get back to it some day.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back into it, but I am having a hard time. I think it has too many MMO-style trappings (limited time events for special loot, etc), and I can only really play one of those at a time. Been spending the last little while playing ESO, and now I'm back into the Destiny 2 grind with the new expansion. I fully expect to be back at MHW within the next month or so.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I keep going in phases with this thing.

I'll play hard and heavy for a week straight and then not play for 2 weeks. I need to fill those 2 weeks with other games. I have such a huge backlog it's not even funny.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Since I've got 2 weeks until ESO Summerset, I took a break from that game and dove back into MHW. Glad to see the population is still high as it took no time at all to get SOS help from other players when facing off with a few monsters. Also I have so many "investigations" it's not even funny...

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One day I'll play ESO again. I still haven't even played the Morrowind expansion yet.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well you'll have a ton of solo content to occupy you when you do ;)

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've sent Zorah Madagos out to sea. Someone said this is when the real game begins.

Also I still don't totally understand the story. I feel like there's details I should know from prior games.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You probably wouldn't get much from previous games tbh. The world is only loosely connected and the stories aren't cohesive to one another or connected at all (unless you count visuals and mechanics). There are art/lore books you can buy which may explain a bit more about the world itself, but each game mainly has always boiled down to giant big bad threatens the village - new hunter it's up to you to save us!