Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music comments that don't warrant a thread

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Neville Brothers.

I'm friends with someone that's played with Ivan Neville (friend's dad is a professional backing musician and was able to get my friend to play keyboard for a single gig one summer). Tonight a guy I've casually known for about a year name dropped Art Neville as joining his college pep band for a basketball game at some point in the last 10 years.

I've never met anyone that's played music with Aaron Neville. Nothing more than an observation, but seems that Ivan and Art are more apt to doing low key gigs with average Joe musicians than their brother.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aaron Neville hasn't lived in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina so that's probably why he's not doing a lot of pickup gigs there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/Z90AAUPcSCI
They always play this song on the overnight quiet storm show on the smooth jazz/old school R&B station I listen to and it ALWAYS wakes me from my sleep (I fall asleep with the radio on). This has happened like 3 or 4 times.

The two people in this song are clearly psychotic and deserve to be miserable with each other.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I couldn't sleep last night and that smooth jazz/quiet storm/random ass hodgepodge radio station's playlist wasn't helping.

Some of the songs they played between 3 AM and 7 AM
Kenny G- "Songbird"
Bob Marley & The Wailers- "Waiting In Vain"
That Roy Ayers song from the post above again
Sammy Davis Jr's "Candyman" followed by
Albert King's "Born Under A Bad Sign"
Ray Charles- "You Are My Sunshine"
Prince's "Erotic City" (which seems v. inappropriate)

plus like multiple Sinatra deep cuts. WTH

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I never realized what a devastatingly sad song "Waiting In Vain" was until I was listening to at 4:15 AM, still half drunk on tequila sodas.

Why would that woman string along Brother Marley like that? :(

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Partly thanks to getting SiriusXM for a year in my new Jeep, I've finally started discovering the bands/names behind songs that the dickhole radio hosts would never mention. Here's at least 3 that I've discovered just in the last few days.

James - Laid
The Flys - Got You (Where I Want You) aka that song I knew from Disturbing Behavior
Butthole Surfers - Pepper

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
"Laid" has so much I hate that I came around to liking it over the years. It just is kind of a weird mash-up of way better things crammed together, and I know in my heart I hate that, but I like it. That might be as close to a guilty pleasure I can think of, to be honest.

Feel bad we got a "megathread" in a dead folder, gotta say.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/MfR0Q_xWAQw
I will maintain this megathread in a dead folder even if 90% of it's me talking about the local smooth jazz/soft R&B station.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Friend that met Art Neville also met Frank Ticheli in college. If you were in any form of symphonic or concert band, you probably played a piece by him. What aggravates me is he went to a college in the sticks and I went to a college in a slightly more developed, less redneck, area.

And he got cool visitors. We got the director from the local private school guesting with us.

While drunk and lamenting my lack of computer (my mac died and just been sharing my wife's laptop) to update my iPod my friend suggested I try Apple Music since I have an iPhone X having an iPod is kinda obsolete.

HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING! I can listen to almost anything I can think of. They even have
Anal Cunt
which isn't music artistry but indicative of the depth of the library.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kamala For Kamala Harris said:
I couldn't sleep last night and that smooth jazz/quiet storm/random ass hodgepodge radio station's playlist wasn't helping.

https://youtu.be/RUP4y5-FMxg
Latest song that baffled me from my sleep. I guess I can get not knowing your ex is getting married in a pre social media day but the beginning of the song where she's so dumb that she thinks she hadn't realized she was getting married tomorrow gave me unnecessary amounts of rage. The fact that she sings the hell out of the song bothered me too. Then the fact that I was bothered by her singing the song well bothered me! Would it be any less aggravating if she half assed it!?

I should go back to listening to classic rock when I go to sleep. The Steve Miller Band never bothered me this much.

Also looking up Vesta Williams' Wikipedia entry. I guess she was Bruce Willis' ex girlfriend and "Congratulations" was about his wedding to Demi Moore :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also according to Wikipedia

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This older couple bought an old restaurant and converted it into a piano bar. My friend's 50s cover act is booked there tonight so last night I went do some recon with Mrs. SFH and our friend that plays bass in the same band. We didn't tip our hands we were scoping the place for "tomorrow's act."

So it's a really NICE place and they're going for upscale in a rural area vibe. I was reading the newspaper articles on the place during the ride (I wasn't driving) and they specifically stated they did not want a younger crowd. My wife has two nose piercings, tattoos up and down her arms, and pink hair. I have an epic beard and visible tattoos as well. The owner kept following us around asking why we were there on "old fogie night."

From what we deduced, their only kid was born after they had been married a very long time and now that he's in college they decided to take the plunge on their own business. They seem like they have the best intentions but no business experience. Also, the wife was outside talking to my group telling us "y'all should come tomorrow night, we have a punk rock band that plays 50s music and makes fun of Elvis." That is NOT my friend's band's gimmick. They do straight covers and wear dress up clothes. I don't think she was being critical, I just don't think she knows what she booked nor does she know the term "cover band."

Also from the article, "we don't want to be the place a drunk comes looking for a $3 beer." I'm not sure what that means. "We're smoke free" and the article references the smoker's patio for "11 people." So if ten people are smoking, two smokers can't go buddy up for a light outside.

The lady was telling me they really don't know who to book, which if they don't want a younger crowd they're going to be limited on "older acts" in this area. I suggested she ask her son who the kids in college are jamming to downtown (he's going to the local college that I also attended, so we were using that as a mutual talking point) and she said "oh he's a nerd he doesn't know music." I got nerd triggered. "Nerds know music!" Apparently her son doesn't.

We didn't tell my friend what she said about "making fun of Elvis", just that she was inviting us to come back out for his band.

Anyway, I fully expect the owners to recognize us again tonight and think their hyping and advertising worked and they're going to want to talk some more. I'd like to see them succeed just on the fact that we need more dedicated music venues in the area (that can also book my friends lol). Please send me any music talking points or tips I can casually insert into conversations to help these people not fall on their face. I'm hyping my friend that they seem nice and even if tonight sucks, as long as they're not outright discourteous, and the check doesn't bounce, to accept a second booking if offered.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today's song on the smooth jazz/R&B station that jarred me from my sleep at 5 AM...Dave Koz and BeBe Winans covering Garth Brooks' "The Dance".

It was...not great.

Dave Koz is the Seether to Kenny G's Nickelback. They are actually the worst of their genre but the other guys are curly haired and goofy looking so they escape the majority of the public scorn.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1111436?__twitter_impression=true

Who knew Meat Loaf was a climate change denier?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meat Loaf is a huge Tea Party supporter and did a wacky rally for Mitt Romney back in 2012 so disappointing that he's picking fights with high schoolers over climate change but not surprising.

When I saw him trending on Twitter a few days ago, I was afraid he had died but trying to start beef with Greta Thunberg is a fate worse than death IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Record Store Day is postponed to June 20th.

Even hipsters getting hit hard by this COVID-19 outbreak. Damn.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alex Lifeson and David Lee Roth are in self quarantine.

DON'T GO RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL, DLR! THE WORLD NEEDS YOU TO OPEN UP FOR THE KISS FAREWELL TOUR!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lead singer of Rammstein is in ICU because he has COVID-19.

First KOAB now Till Linemann. CORONA IS ATTACKING ALL OF THE GREATS! WTH?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=286635488972511&ref=watch_permalink

On LIVE right now, my pal's doing an acoustic set.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Some people just shouldn't have a camera on them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Those absolutely warrant a thread. Shit's going to take out music hard now.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Ok, I just wanna warn you that when I wrote this song I was listening to the Cure a lot..." The Wedding Singer 1998.

The older I get, the more I understand that line. The Cure is an outstanding band, super talented. But anytime they pop up in my shuffle, or if I purposely feel like hearing Robert Smith, I always feel glum afterwards. I mean, clearly, they never have been accused of being motivational music but in the 1980s I enjoyed them because they sounded good.

Knocking on 40, my mind almost immediately goes into a weird place. Which sucks because it is still VERY WELL DONE music. Trying to dissect my brain I can probably point to the nostalgia associated with it, all of those people in my life are now deceased, but when it comes on I don't immediately go to memories of playing Atari with those friends. Maybe my subconscious is. I don't know, fuck it. They're still all time greats and deserve the praise. I just need to figure out a work around to properly enjoy them without "those" feelings.

Pretty much everything else from the 80s-mid90s is wrapped in happy feelings. Then whatever was popular when I started driving puts me back in that funk due to most of that being our jams driving to school.