Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music comments that don't warrant a thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did I ever tell TSM about the time I got $10 tickets to a Pat Benatar concert on the Maine State Pier 3 or 4 years ago and randomly got hammered with a bunch of middle aged women from Northern Maine vacationing. GTs.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Did I ever tell TSM about the time I got $10 tickets to a Pat Benatar concert on the Maine State Pier 3 or 4 years ago and randomly got hammered with a bunch of middle aged women from Northern Maine vacationing. GTs.
So THAT explains the unwarranted ego, you got with northern Maine cougars

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprisingly it was a platonic drunken interaction (probably cause there was a random husband or two there) but they did see me grinding with some gal after I crushed BSB's "I Want It That Way" at Old Port Tavern karaoke.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Pat Benetar rules and her version of this means I never need to think about Mellencamp ever again.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ozzy's first choice for guitarist when he was starting out as a solo act was Gary Moore (60's Skid Row, Thin Lizzy), who turned him down due to making his own solo album at the time.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Some kids would dig Steely Dan, honestly. Like I can see little kids only knowing the chorus of "Do It Again" and not knowing the words proper until they hit high school. One of those.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As a little kid who loved oldies radio, I can confirm that little kids (at least in the mid-late ‘90s) thought “Do It Again” sounded really cool. I thought “Reelin’ in the Years” was super dorky though. Youth is wasted on the young, I guess.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I just took a look at the prices for the first show in Denver and Ticketmaster is listing "Official Platinum" seats for up to $2950 each. These are not resale tickets, they're sold directly by Ticketmaster at "market-based pricing." Even the most high-up of cuck seats sells for $1600 plus hundreds in fees. Forgive me for being as out of touch as Dave Meltzer on Bad Bunny but this math only makes sense if this guy is significantly more popular than every artist in history.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tawny Kitaen died. Boners at half mast today for all of my GenX friends.

I almost posted this in the TGIF thread but I doubt even @BruiserBrody or @BUTT cared about America's Funniest People anymore and I doubt it even aired on Fridays.

Edit- I checked TGIF's wikipedia. And my mind was blown to find out that America's Funniest Home Videos was on Fridays right after the end of the TGIF era from 2001 to 2003! I thought AFV was a Sundays exclusive show. Geez, maybe I should have posted this in the TGIF thread.

Anyway, RIP Tawny! A video vixen and The Surreal Life great!

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

This is the least heralded of the 'snake/Tawny collabs but I think it's a pretty sick song. Better than "Is This Love." Effortlessly great solo by Vai, and Tawny made a hot blonde. RIP to the greatest era of music's most legendary thot. :(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steve Vai's hair metal period always seemed super weird but I guess there were less venues for guitar shop geek heroes to showcase their wares in the late '80s.

Laz

Reaction score
The only ska band allowed would be Big D & the Kid's Table anyway, so yeah. Seconded.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Guy I knew saw meeting the singer of the Bosstones as a major life achievement. Tried to use it as his in with girls at the bar. Never worked for some reason.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only ska band allowed would be Big D & the Kid's Table anyway, so yeah. Seconded.
They're a cool group. Known enough to have a following, but not well enough that they can't mingle with fans at the bigger festivals.

(granted, Aaron Barrett hung out with us at the same event for like half an hour and no one mobbed him either. Anyone wanna touch me? Anyone? Meh, screw you guys, I'm going home)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guy I knew saw meeting the singer of the Bosstones as a major life achievement. Tried to use it as his in with girls at the bar. Never worked for some reason.
I don't think I have *ever* met a female ska fan. I've met more female fans of extreme metal (@Laz: You're god damn right) than female ska fans.

Reactions: Laz

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've known way more female ska fans than male. Total west coast thing, I guess. Northern California was, and still somewhat does, have its share of wannabe Gwen Stefanis.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. It's probably a New England/maybe Northeast thing. Bosstones shows seem like Rush level sausage fests.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That guy was an idiot. Lived a genuinely interesting life, but thought the Bosstones guy was more important. Because of him I've made up several stories involving Candlebox and being stuck in an elevator.

But ska and the lamer era of Bay Area punk (pretty much Green Day) kind of interbreed and become shitty rock bands with delusions of grandeur. Went to enough to where they all sounded exactly the same, kind of like going to a school band recital.

Laz

Reaction score
Dude, most of the ska fans I know are women. There was a somewhat popular local ska band to SoMA/NoRI called Life of the Party that was half and half, and I only went to their shows because I was friends with one of the trumpet players (Nikki).

Fun fact: that was one of the last shows at the old Living Room in Providence before they tore it down. The history that building had in the area for punk and metal, and a shitty local ska band closes it out.
I've met more female fans of extreme metal (@Laz: You're god damn right) than female ska fans.
Yeahhhhhhhh buddy. There's been a huge explosion post-Arch Enemy, but even more since Abnormality and Cerebral Bore gained followings in 2012/2013.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I knew plenty of ska girls in high school but they were few and far between once I hit college age. I remember Me First & The Gimme Gimmes and the Toasters being very popular among them.