Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music comments that don't warrant a thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw Trick Daddy trending and was like "Oh man I hope he's not an antivaxxer." and it turned out to be a video about how much he enjoys getting his ass eaten.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I think this is one of my favorite music stories

During recording, the Bee Gees played a prank on their manager Robert Stigwood, sending him a version with the line "backwards and forwards with my cock hanging out" to see if he was paying attention to their work.[2] For the released version, the line is "backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out".

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Digging the douchebag iguana thing he's got going though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In one of my periodic Milli Vanilli phases cause it's such a fascinating story. If a biopic with Christoph Waltz as Frank Farian doesn't happen, I'll be ticked shitless.

It's just so weird that he didn't just let them sing in the first place since at least Fab was a perfectly competent vocalist and it's an era when Paula Abdul was the biggest pop star. Perfectly competent would do when you're immensely attractive.

Sharing this mostly cause the bassist reminds me of modern day Keanu Reeves and uh, wait, Keanu DID play bass for Dogstar. Playing bass for the surviving member of Milli Vanilli does seem like one of the weird sidequests Keanu would do IRL

Fab also briefly toured with John Davis, one of the actual vocalists for Milli Vanilli in the mid 2010s. Which seems weirdly touching. John Davis died of COVID-19 four months ago to end this random Milli Vanilli post on a down note.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Always fascinating to see that Milli Vanilli beat out the following: Soul II Soul, Tone Loc, Neneh Cherry, and The Indigo Girls.

1992 was also weird with Marc Cohn beating out: Boyz II Men, Seal, Color Me Badd, and C+C Music Factory.

Grammys seemed very... anti-rock in regards to the 'Best New Artist' category for most of the 80s/90s with Sheryl Crow beating Counting Crows & Green Day in 1995. LeAnn Rimes beat Garbage, Jewel, and No Doubt in 1997. Paula Cole beat out Hanson, Fiona Apple, and Puff Daddy in 1998!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man, Leann Rimes. That's one I haven't thought of in like 20 years.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mandela Effect moment: I remembered the Grammys taking away Milli Vanilli's "Best New Artist" Grammy but in fact, Rob & Fab voluntarily gave them up and The Grammys just chose not to name a runner up. Neneh Cherry was probably livid.

LeAnn Rimes debut album is one of the rare albums I remember my mom buying. It's weird how career kind of petered out with no huge scandal or meltdown. She had an extramarital affair but was in the late '00s when she was starring in TV movies. I think her critical mistake was trying to cross over into pop when she should've just doubled down with country but Idk if anyone foresaw country becoming the big arena/stadium music of the '00s and on.

She still got that sweet sweet Coyote Ugly soundtrack money out of the Top 40 crossover attempt though, I guess.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mandela Effect moment: I remembered the Grammys taking away Milli Vanilli's "Best New Artist" Grammy but in fact, Rob & Fab voluntarily gave them up and The Grammys just chose not to name a runner up. Neneh Cherry was probably livid.

LeAnn Rimes debut album is one of the rare albums I remember my mom buying. It's weird how career kind of petered out with no huge scandal or meltdown. She had an extramarital affair but was in the late '00s when she was starring in TV movies. I think her critical mistake was trying to cross over into pop when she should've just doubled down with country but Idk if anyone foresaw country becoming the big arena/stadium music of the '00s and on.

She still got that sweet sweet Coyote Ugly soundtrack money out of the Top 40 crossover attempt though, I guess.
A lot of her follow-up albums after that initial debut release were heavy on remakes or outright covers, which I don't think helped her career too much either especially when she was trying to crossover in the midst of the huge teen market dominated by Christina/Britney/etc.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Leann Rimes set off the very brief window of country trying to capture the late '90s-early 2000s teenage market by creating their own stars, such as fake Britney Alecia Elliott.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of her follow-up albums after that initial debut release were heavy on remakes or outright covers, which I don't think helped her career too much either especially when she was trying to crossover in the midst of the huge teen market dominated by Christina/Britney/etc.
I looked up her Wikipedia and apparently what did ruin her career was her record label putting out a bunch of compilations of unreleased early material and her getting into a legal dispute with them over such BS. By the time, she was able to do an album on her own terms it was 2002 and the ship had probably sailed by then.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome from following the story since I was a kid but I feel like Milli Vanilli is above average to far above average by late '80s US pop standards (which is kind of damning with faint praise). "Blame It on the Rain" is a legit great pop R&B ballad and one of the best songs Diane Warren ever wrote.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How would this alter the trajectory of @Laz 's life though?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It wouldn't have, but the drumming on the early albums would've likely been more interesting. As it stands, Brad Roberts has been their drummer since 1989, and he's audibly gotten better and better over the years. A workman drummer, not a prodigy, but he went from simple punk rhythms to nailing out some seriously great work from 2001 onward.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry for three Dave Grohl related posts in a row.

Say what you want about Foo Fighters being bland dad rock but Dave Grohl seems like a real good dude.

Also how is Phil Collins still singing on an office chair at the Genesis farewell tour shows? Although I guess given Genesis (or really more solo Phil's) association with boring office breakroom music, it makes more sense to see him sing in an leather swivel chair than a cool ass throne.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TIL Prince played a concert at WWE's nightclub/restaurant in Times Square in '02. Unfortunately, it was after it changed it's name from WWF New York to The World. It's still fun to imagine the WWE stars of '02 watching some Prince deep cuts.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Prince would show up at random clubs sometimes and loved NorCal. I know I missed him at least twice. Prince in a small venue would've been so good.

Prince at pretty much Pro Wrestling Hooters with that particular setlist seems like either a great story or a total disaster, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm going to see if that version of "777-9311" with Alicia Keys is on YouTube after work cause that sounds incredible on paper. Given the special guests on the show, I can't imagine Prince wasn't throwing down that night even if it was a weird setlist in a super weird venue.