Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

My Little Pony FIM & The New Generation

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta have a thread for a show that is better than it really should be if you actually sit down and catch a few episodes. Besides, I can't be the only fan of this show on this board. If I am, I'm gonna force this thing onto somebody else! CWM can deal with his anxiety elsewhere.

Every cast member is full of traits and, more importantly, flawed in their own ways. The writing can get sappy at the end (and in general) but also has all sorts of call backs, shout outs to general culture, and has several instances of genius bonus material. People who hate on it are doing so due to the dumb fandom (Bronies are the show's Smart Marks for their good & the bad) but the writing can be solid to good, the characterization and character growth is utterly fantastic for a show of this type, and the songs can be catchy as hell too.

The Mane 6
- Twilight Sparkle: Introverted Bookworm (aka "Egghead") who is a magic spell using unicorn. Can be very sarcastic and voiced by Tara Strong. Typically plays the straight pony to everybody else.
- Rarity: Fashionista typically dealing with fashion, set designs, and such & has a little sister named Sweetie Belle. Also has a cat named Opal that she adores over.
- Fluttershy: The heart melting woobie of the group and a friend to all animals in a Dr. Doolittle kind of way. Anybody who hates her has no heart at all.
- Pinkie Pie: The extreme Extrovert party planner of the group. Look up FUN in the dictionary and you have her pic, talks really fast and is basically ADHD on steroids.
- Rainbow Dash: The daredevil flyer of the group and the most tomboyish. Dreams of being a member of the Wonderbolts (a group of performance fliers).
- Applejack: Runs her own apple farm, Sweet Apple Acres, with her grandmother (Granny Smith), big brother (MacIntosh), and little sister (Apple Bloom).

Key Secondary Characters
- Princess Celestia: An alicorn that sends Twilight to Ponyville to make friends. Is basically queen royalty.
- Spike: A baby dragon that helps out Twilight and gets into his own adventures. Sometimes plays the straight dragon to everybody. Also has an obvious crush on Rarity.
- The Cutie Mark Crusaders: Includes Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo. A trio of young ponies who are on a constant quest to get their own "cutie marks" (the insignias on the flanks) and refuse to let it just happen naturally.
- Big MacIntosh: Brother to Apple Jack and Apple Bloom. Usually answers with, "Yup," or "Nope," but is strong.

Some of the song highlights: Art of the Dress, At the Gala, and Smile Smile Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNrXMOSkBas

As a bonus, here's the episode that helped hook me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFSd3TEsiM

Last edited:

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (currently on Season 4)

nuke the board from orbit
only way to be sure

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score

death-star-o.gif

Somebody photoshop a pic of the board in place if Alderaan.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

It's a show where the key element is friendship, something that TRTSM has sorely been lacking in.

tumblr_lzhgp0uKwV1rpt4reo1_400.gif

C Dubya 09

Integral Poster
Reaction score

My kid watches this, and you know, it's not terrible. Grown ass adults should not be watching on their own, but it's a thousand times better than Caillou or other shit like that.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8cjlEMLR0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Where have all the cowboys gone.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score

C Dubya 09 said:
My kid watches this, and you know, it's not terrible. Grown ass adults should not be watching on their own, but it's a thousand times better than Caillou or other shit like that.
My girls are not allowed to watch Caillou. Period. I'm considering banning "Special" Agent Oso (because of the really stupid bear) and Mike the Knight (because it teaches kids that it's ok to be selfish as long as you try to make things good later) as well.

With respect to My Little Pony, my kids don't really watch it but I would not be against them doing so. It's fine.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

I can't think of a current show with a worse fanbase.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I had this on VHS when I was a kid. Shame the rest of the G1 series wasn't as great.

http://youtu.be/WaeQxIBaP70

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

I saw the thread title and was like:

tumblr_m0slmu58tZ1qlvwnco1_400.gif

just kept repeating itself once I saw the OP.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score

I've never heard of Calliou but from reading this thread I surmise that that is a good thing. I don't watch MLP nor do I know anyone who does, all I have to say about the whole brony thing is to each there own and I really don't care what gender/age someone is who is a fan of whatever. Just that Bronies seem to have the thinnest fucking skin. And I don't even mean getting mad when people say grown men watching a cartoon about ponies are pedophiles, I mean anytime I've seen someone say anything that could even somehow possibly be construed as negative about bronies they all go nuts and get way over defensive. It seems to happen on Twitter to someone I follow every month. Lighten up dudes.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

Fuck it. HQ, you go, girl.

EDIT: I used to watch Spongebob in Japanese online and this would come on after it. I sat through two episodes. It's definitely written by adults who care about the quality of their work, but it's just not my thing at all.

BurningPirateShipSex

BurningPirateShipSex
Reaction score

Harley Quinn said:
It's a show where the key element is friendship, something that TRTSM has sorely been lacking in.

There's plenty of friendship here on TRTSM.

Maybe people don't want to be friends with you?

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score

There are worst things Harley could have been. A Twi-hard, a Belieber, a proud member of the Klu Klux Klan (although that may have produced some train wreck fun) or a Brony who is also a member of the Nazi Party.

Actually, that one may have been fun too.

Rock on with your Pony watching with its weird ass lazy eyed Pony people tried to kill for at Comic Con. What was it? Derpy or some shit?

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score

http://silvermoon424.tumblr.com/post/76924784661/bachvevo-iconic

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Bumping this thread because music supervisors William Anderson (the background score) and Daniel Ingram (main theme & songs) legit kick ass and deserve credit.

The music makes constant call backs to everything from The Empire Strikes Back to Danny Elfman's work (including The Nightmare Before Christmas), The Ride of the Valkyries, and "I Am the Doctor Theme" from Dr. Who! Finally the This Day Aria references The Little Mermaid (final villain refrain from Ursula) and Disney-tastic in general. It was even nominated for an Emmy (and is arguably considered the best song on the show).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqc0xu7nQU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJUEjIVDmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkygQVhepM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLeMQDef7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEBfzKNH_Jc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsxfO7dBlA

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Well, I'll let you (or rather them) have those props. Since the Rainbow Dash thing had BGM on it, I figured it would be the safest option for my ears. And it was enjoyable, I won't lie about it.

Will it get me to watch My Little Pony? Nope. No way.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

The latest episode, Maud Pie was the first great episode in a long while (the title character was also voiced by the actress whom played TERRA from Teen Titans).

The best things were that Maud was their first handicapped character ignoring Derpy (implied but not stated outloud as probably Asperger's) and the lesson was somewhat harsh but true: Just because you have friends and want to introduce another friend/sibling does not mean they'll "click" as readily and to not be disappointed if that happens.

Also Maud's deadpan delivery, reminiscent of Daria, was amazing!

maud-pie-550x400.png

She really likes rocks but loves her younger sister, Pinkie Pie

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Season 4 is finally delivering some good episodes in the home stretch towards the season finale.

For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils
Really fun, creepy, solid episode that evoked A Christmas Carol in several moments throughout the dream scene. The nightmare scene overall was one of the more terrifying things produced on the show (including finally showing Rarity breaking down & going insane to join the rest of the cast).

Also the nightmare scene had some of the best visuals done in the entire series by the graphics team at DHX Media, which is quite the feat.

Princess Luna being able to invade the dreams of others is a quietly unsettling, yet fitting character trait given her "Nightmare Moon" origin. Also the episode was full of cute sisterly bonding between Sweetie Belle and Rarity at both the start and end. And Sweetie Belle improved! on Rarity's dress to top it all off... impressive, indeed.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Gonna try to find the "All Bronies Must Die" essay I read recently and bombard this thread w/ it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Leap of Faith
Pretty blah ep overall, more reminiscent of the earlier eps in the season and pretty disappointing considering they had the popular Flim Flam Brothers back. Even the song wasn't nearly as memorable (or good even) as their original debut ep.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Lord of The Curry said:
Gonna try to find the "All Bronies Must Die" essay I read recently and bombard this thread w/ it.

still waiting bro

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't like MLP stuff popping up on my Facebook feed, HQ.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score

LIMA DELTA said:
Lord of The Curry said:

still waiting bro