Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

My Little Pony FIM & The New Generation

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 6 Starts March 26th

6x22 P.P.O.V. Pony Point of View
Decent enough take on the whole 3 people describe the same event in radically different ways (Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie) to a single person (Twilight & Spike) who must try and figure out the truth from the cobbled stories. The end was kind of quick if not disappointing although the stories were mostly entertaining with Rarity's image of Applejack as an out and out pirate being particularly hilarious and a highlight in the episode.

1262676__safe_solo_applejack_screencap_animated_spoiler-colon-s06e22_ppov_captain+jackbeard.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x24 Top Bolt
Very solid episode with Twilight engaging in her teacher side (always a joy to watch) and Dash being the physical confidence inspirer. Liked the friendship lesson involved with two recruits in the Wonderbolts Training Class as one recruit thought he was a much better flyer than he actually was because he was secretly being aided without his knowledge by a mare Pegasus since childhood. And on top of that, Vapor Trail quickly discovers that she actually wants to be a Wonderbolt herself rather than simply being there with (for?) Sky Stinger with Twilight and Rainbow Dash helping them each to respectively cheer the other on. It actually bore some similarities to Rainbow Dash's support of Fluttershy in Hurricane Fluttershy, which was a nice little plot nod.

And I lol'd so hard at Twilight's expression in the below gif when Rainbow Dash fell asleep while Twilight was teaching.

1273649__safe_solo_twilight+sparkle_screencap_princess+twilight_animated_unamused_spoiler-colon-s06e24_top+bolt_airhorn.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Season 6x25 and 6x26 To Where and Back Again Parts 1 and 2
Awesome two part season finale that sees the return of the changelings. Loved seeing more bonding from Starlight and Trixie as well as the re-appearance of Thorax. Trixie's very obvious fear/trembling at taking on Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings was great and Discord's anger at Fluttershy being pony-napped was cute/fun as well.

The second parter was just as much fun, thanks to the awesomeness of Trixie and general Discord antics. Bickering Trixie and Discord is worth it all. It actually had a legit creepy scene with a horde of Changelings descending upon Trixie and Chrysalis remains creepy anyway. The reunion, especially with Discord and Fluttershy, was adorable and cute too.

large.jpeg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 7 Confirmed

Writer Dave Polsky won't be returning for Season 7 as he'll be focusing on his own, new show. He's been an okay writer with some stuff I've liked: Daring Don't, Rarity Takes Manehattan, and Brotherhooves Social but mostly stuff that I was kind of meh towards: Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over a Barrel, Spike At Your Service, and Equestria Games.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Wiliam Shatner confirmed in a tweet that he'll be voicing an upcoming character in Season 7, following in the feet of Weird Al and Patton Oswalt.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Season 7 kicks off on April 15th with a 2 part premiere: All Bottled Up and Celestial Advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auL1usx2BRY

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - S7 Starts on 4/15/17

Enjoyed 7x02 All Bottled Up more than 7x01 Celestial Advice. Was fun seeing some carryover to the finale and Starlight realizing she's not ready to leave while Twilight sought out Celestia on how to help let go of Starlight as her pupil. Highlight was actually seeing Celestia talk quite a bit and interact with Twilight, something the show has rarely delved into at all. I did laugh at the imagined fantasy from Twilight of Starlight being impersonated by a changeling and subsequently being a rude ass to a group of 3 including flyswatting two of them!

1412381__safe_screencap_starlight+glimmer_celestial+advice_spoiler-colon-s07_spoiler-colon-s07e01_abuse_animated_changedling_changeling_%3E-colon-d_evi.gif

The 2nd episode was fun and I'm really liking the friendship between Starlight and Trixie as they just play off each other really well. Good message with not bottling up your anger and sometimes friends need to hear something, even if it may hurt in the short term, but friendship will be stronger than a few angry words. Also YAY to Trixie actually being able to pull off a few magic spells now too given her character's introduction to the show. Also nicely enjoyed the small subplot of the Mane 6 doing one of those puzzle rooms and Rainbow's massive disappointment at not setting a record (by 2 seconds) because they broke out into song.

As usual, major props to DHX Media as they constantly evolve and up their game animation wise every single season.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

7x04 Rock Solid Friendship
Fun seeing Pinkie and Maud interacting with Maud trying to decide whether to move to Ponyville or not after obtaining her Rocktorate. The plot was kind of obvious with Pinkie inserting herself to try and get Maud/Starlight to develop a friendship in order to get Maud to choose Ponyville without realizing that friendship bonding Pinkie style isn't the way Maud would normally befriend anypony else (and that Pinkie was getting in the way of Maud/Starlight trying to bond). With that said, Starlight being involved was okay although it felt forced but I loved Maud's explanation behind why she likes rocks so much, "They don't exclude me... just because I'm different from other ponies," calling back to her Aspergers and tying it to Starlight's own background and situation.

Pacing was kind of off throughout as it felt like the episode never really took advantage of what it could've accomplished despite all it was trying to do. With that said, Maud's her usual blast as a character and was a lot of fun to watch. Also liked seeing Rarity in the gem cave and the call back to Pinkie/Maud/Rarity's episode together.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

7x05 Fluttershy Leans In
Apparently from this episode on, every episode is airing a week earlier in Canada. This was a fun little episode with Fluttershy requesting her dream scenario of a natural nature preserve sanctuary for animals to recuperate after visiting the local vet, Dr. Fauna. What was great was seeing some of the Mane 6 offer up people who "fit" the job as far as expert experience but they all refused to listen to the customer, Fluttershy, leading her to lay them off and not require their services(! Bold step indeed). Then we got the requisite montage of the Mane 6, CMC, Starlight, and others helping to build what Fluttershy had in mind and it looked really good.

Was great to see Fluttershy being so assertive especially in relation to the fact that this was a dream of hers to accomplish whereas in past seasons the moral would've been about not letting others walk all over you or such. Instead, the moral was more to go after your dream how you see it and don't let others pressure you into accepting anything less.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Catching up on a couple aired episodes.

7x06 Forever Filly
Solid episode with some great Rarity/Sweetie Belle moments. Loved the complimentary subplot with the dog not being a "puppy" anymore for the kids to follow as the moral was geared towards the not everything stays the same as you remembered/things change and evolve and get older and you need to adapt to it as well. We also got an epic Rarity taking out her anger on a guitar gif.

1436473__safe_screencap_rarity_honest+apple_spoiler-colon-s07e09_animated_guitar_guitarity_guitar+solo_metal+as+fuck_solo.gif

7x07 Parental Glideance
Decent episode centered around when parents embarrass kids by being too into whatever the kid is doing. Good moral that parents don't mean to embarrass them/it's done with a goal of supporting their child's self esteem and confidence. Rainbow kind of came off as a jerk at times while Scootaloo was perfectly adorable throughout and Rainbow's parents were awesome.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

MLP: Movie Trailer officially dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQe_mZcyf8

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Printed out my ticket for the Sunday 10/8 showing (releases 10/6) at 11:30 AM. Figured I should just see it early before it gets spoiled/discussed too much.

Of the episodes I've seen that haven't been mentioned in here, I greatly enjoyed The Perfect Pear for the FEELS (and giving us some more familial history related to the Apples), Campfire Tales as I'm a sucker for anything that gives us sisterly bonding & quick short stories, and It Isn't the Mane Thing About You with its epic Rarity madness over losing her mane and also giving us the PUNK RARITY look.

large.png

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Season 7 + The Big Damn Movie!

Finally got around to watching My Little Pony: The Movie from 2017 and it was okay. 5/10

What Worked
01: The Mane 6 and the Voice Acting. Tabitha St. Germain as Rarity & her overdramatic voice style really fit the 'epic movie' feel and the rest of the group was more than game to step things up in their line readings. It was clear that group was having a blast despite Fluttershy kind of getting ignored.
02: Some of the designs/art was really nice including the trek through the desert (Pinkie Pie and Spike in particular).
03: Lots of great lines from most of the characters and the interplay between Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie were all a highlight for the most part.
04: Some of the 'name' casting actually worked: Liev Schreiber as The Storm King (a pleasant highlight and reminded me of both Discord from the show and Kim Possible's Dr. Drakken character), Michael Pena as Grubber, and Taye Diggs as Capper. I also greatly enjoyed Kristin Chenoweth as Princess Skystar (the highlight of the names for me) and Uzo Aduba as Queen Novo.
05: I liked how 'dark' the movie was from some of the set designs to the pieces of plot development e.g. Aris. My favorite areas were the desert and Aris by far, shame the rest of the movie didn't feel like it hit that level.
06: The subplot of Twilight needing to rely on her friends to help her out, only to perform an act that betrays her friendship with the group was a solid idea but just very underdeveloped in the face of: We need to see the various places with interaction of new characters.

What Did Not Work
01: Most of the songs fell rather flat outside of "We Got This Together" and "Time For Being Awesome" for me.
02: The artwork in general. It was clear they needed the upgrade for the Big Damn Movie but at times it felt rather... off in many scenes and the stuff it did really work for was very few and far between. Almost too much of a clean feel/effect going on.
03: Fluttershy felt kind of shafted and a 'just there' background part of the group.
04: Emily Blunt as Tempest Shadow. Oof. Way too reserved and 'tried' to be sinister but got overshadowed by Liev Schreiber as The Storm King and Michael Pena as Grubber. A real shame too because that character archetype has been nailed on the show with Nightmare Moon, Queen Chrysalis, and Starlight Glimmer and Blunt just did not make that thing work at all.
05: The Plot. It felt like it got completely lost by the 30 Minute mark and was just an escape to have the group go to various landmarks. Tempest actually getting 3 of the 4 really, really hurt the plot's pacing because then it basically became The Chipmunk Movie just not nearly as fun or cool.
06: I liked Capper's character but he felt like a miscast and something out of say The Aristocats instead.
07: Way too many 'other' new characters to the point that it really felt like this was less a true Big Damn Movie that included the actual characters developed from the show and more an excuse to hire name actors to voice characters and try and get a fat payday from that by just slapping the MLP name/brand on the movie.
08: The end was so abrupt and while the Storm King turning on Tempest was obvious, as was Twilight saving Tempest and the self sacrifice to come, there was no foreshadowing or buildup or anything to make the viewer really care at all except that Tempest had a bad childhood... bleh.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Season 7 + The Big Damn Movie!

Bumping this thread 'cause the final 2 parter and the post-future series finale aired last night. All the feels. *sniffle* Crazy to think this show ran for 9 years + a movie(!).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Caught the new My Little Pony: A New Generation movie on Netflix. Fun stuff and definitely had the tone of this series so I can see the eventual show being a hit. A lot of highlights character-wise with Sunny, Izzy, Zipp, and Sprout in particular standing out. This was kind of what I was hoping the actual MLP: The Movie was going to be in terms of characterization, tone, and consistent plot development (magic has been wiped out due to the separation of the pony species and it's up to Sunny to prove the types can/should co-exist and get magic back). 7/10

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
More Pony! MLP Make Your Mark special will be airing March 26th on Netflix with the G5 series dropping proper on September 26th on Netflix. Worth noting that G5 will have entirely new voice actors for the characters from the movie for financial reasons.