Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

My Little Pony FIM & The New Generation

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Season 5)

5x21 Scare Master
Another fun Halloween based episode. Liked that Fluttershy enjoyed being "part" of Nightmare Night by setting up a scary addition to Apple Family's creepy maze but didn't enjoy seeing her friends so terrified and that she was fine doing her own special thing (basically doing a tent night whilst reading under her bed with her animal friends) since she did a lot of other fun stuff with the main 6 during other times.

Also props for the revisiting of Vampire Bat Fluttershy at the end and seeing the various background characters dressed up including Big Mac as a mummy and the CMC in different costumes. And Rainbow Dash as an astronaut was great while Pinkie was a roller skating zombie waitress thing and continues to remind me of Harley Quinn more and more after seeing the connection.

large.png
large.png

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

5x22 What About Discord
Pretty forgettable episode although some of the Discord visual gags were solid. Twilight can't accept she got jealous of her friends hanging with Discord and having fun while she missed out on it all. Skippable.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

5x23 Hooffields and McColts
Decent episode and fun seeing Fluttershy and Twilight team up as they very rarely get any episodes together or even scenes for that matter. A little disappointed at the lack of depth in the feud given the history/basis of its real life counterpart but Fluttershy was cute and Twilight got to be all book worm knowledge pony.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

5x24 The Mane Attraction
Countess Coloratura, a childhood friend of Applejack's, comes to Equestria for a music charity event but also comes with her manager who's conniving and it's up to Applejack to prove to Coloratura (aka Rara) that her manager is a conniving scumbag making insane demands to poor Pinkie Pie.

Good little episode with the rare focal point on an 'outside' pony but warranted in this case with Countess Coloratura being voiced by Lena Hall (All My Children, The Big Gay Musical) whom also performs "The Magic Inside," a fun song performance to cap the episode off. Colin Murdoch (Beast Wars: Transformers and InuYasha) voiced Svengallop, the haughty jerk demanding manager of Coloratura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuYIBejsuM

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

The 2 part Season Finale Cutie Re-Mark 1 & 2 is airing at 11:00 AM ET/8:00 AM PT with Part 1 and Part 2 at 11:30 AM ET/8:30 AM PT as a head's up to anybody else watching.

Also kind of odd as the production order has it as 5x21 and 5x20 for Part 2 when it's usually the reverse.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

5x25 and 5x26 Cutie Re-Mark Parts 1 and 2
Fun, strong episodes to close out the season with Starlight Glimmer trying to show Twilight what it's like to never have any friends after her brother got a cutie mark and left her alone so she was too afraid of making friends for fear of a repeat.

The animators had a lot of fun with taking the normal cast of ponies and throwing them into various alternate universes including: Army with King Sombra, Queen Chrysalis warring with Zecora and her Pony refugees, Nightmare Moon taking over Equestria and banishing Princess Celestia, and one with Flim and Flam running a tree cutting operation devastating Equestria and its forests. Also props to the many callbacks to various episodes too with some ponies including Rarity and Maud Pie.

The final scenes fit with Starlight being redeemed and shown she can make friends/the importance of friendship (including going back to the town she had fled in the opener) and its effect on the world beyond just Twilight's own friendship. Worked as an overall message for the show itself and the viewership watching too.

1031951__safe_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_clothes_screencap_animated_frown_alternate+hairstyle_maud+pie_glare.gif

large.png

large.png

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

In honor of Applejack Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDia1CfXgjw

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Season 6 is dropping in May, great birthday timing :) Also Emily Blunt is voicing a character in the big damn movie

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 6 Starts March 26th

New promo video confirms the return of PONY on March 26th with a 2 Part Premiere, whoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9xLhMg5_A

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Tigger said:
Why are you bothering to post this no one is reading

Because I can. Love you too, doll.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Tigger said:
I don't mind was just curious

It's partly to look back at my posts/thoughts in future years and partly because it's my posting style. See any of my NFL Threads or my random "bumping" of threads such as Girl Meets World or Deadliest Catch. I don't care if anybody else reads the threads but the point of posting is to post anyway.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score

I appreciate the bump because this is my daughter's go-to show right now.

Although I don't know if I really want another 26 episodes of this show unless they all have Discord in them. John de Lancie is gold in that role.

This is probably my only MLP post ever.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Reminder that the Season 6 2 Part Premiere is tomorrow at 11:00 AM ET and 11:30 AM ET. Sounds like the first 2 parter, The Crystalling, will introduce the new baby from Cadance/Shining Armor and some drama aftermath around their city.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x01 and 6x02 The Crystalling
It served its purpose in introducing the baby Alicorn character and getting the characters into the Crystal Empire for the drama of trying to save the place from a potential wrecking snowstorm.

Highlight was Starlight Glimmer's character, whom still had some snotty aspects to her character, which was nice to see and her reuniting with Sunburst. I warmed up to her more after re-watching last year's season finale yesterday and I appreciated her subplot in this episode. I also liked her staying on as a student/apprentice of Twilight's which adds to Starlight's redemption arc in general and bodes well to her character development down the road.

Also the animation has definitely been improved from running tears to little facial expressions to more characterization through body language. Gold star to DHX and great to see their improvement since S1 and S2. They do a lot of quick things that are almost easy to miss that simply add depth such as the example below.

1117348__safe_screencap_animated_spike_starlight+glimmer_discovery+family_subtitles_spoiler-colon-s06e01_the+crystalling.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

603 The Gift of Maud Pie
Decent slice of life episode. Enjoyed Maud Pie's return to the show and yet another trip to Manehattan with Rarity and Pinkie Pie serving as an entertaining team up. I really love seeing Pinkie Pie's sweet adoration of Maud and this episode was chock full of it including her panic over not being able to get the perfect gift to her subdued happiness at giving up her party cannon to acquire the pouch off a random stallion. Nice to see some development as Rarity is furthering her career into Manehattan now. Highlights though were Pinkie and Maud as it's a nice change of pace to see their close sisterly relationship in contrast to Pinkie's over the top zaniness with Maud serving as her ideal straight mare in the face of it all. I did laugh at Rarity's emulation of Pinkie's usual antics though.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x04 On Your Marks
Decent little episode centering around the CMC trying to figure out what they want to do as individuals (now that they've earned their cutie marks) while Apple Bloom feels left out because she's interpreted Scootaloo/Sweetie Belle doing their own interests as never doing anything together again. Ended with a nice finish as the trio agree that it's fun to do their own things at time so long as they keep the core of their friendship strong and remain together for bigger stuff.

With that said, it's fun seeing them starting to find their own identities: Scootaloo is basically Vin Diesel in XTREME mode with scootering and bungee jumping, Sweetie Belle seems to be following her big sister, Rarity, with singing and then crocheting, and Apple Bloom has become a potion making pony with an interest/enjoyment in dancing.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x06 No Second Prances
Fun little episode featuring Trixie taking on Starlight Glimmer as her assistant for her big magic show, uniting the two in friendship while both are still struggling with redeeming themselves from their past deeds. Twilight being reluctant to let Starlight make her own friend simply because it was Trixie made sense and the Starlight/Trixie friendship worked well and felt natural within the story too. DHX Studios continues to up their game with the facial expressions and it's fun seeing what they come up with episode to episode and season to season.

Kathleen Barr was fantastic as Trixie especially towards the end of the episode when she remarks that she "beat" Twilight at befriending Starlight only to have Starlight run off despite Trixie's pure intention of being best friends. Then her flat opening to the introduction of the magic show after was good stuff.

Pretty much the summation of the episode.
1143409__safe_twilight+sparkle_clothes_smiling_princess+twilight_trixie_open+mouth_eyes+closed_spread+wings_wide+eyes.png

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x08 A Hearth's Warming Tale
A ton of fun from the opening song to the whole Christmas tinged calls (the opening song was very Who-ville at times, Snowdash as a reference to the Ebenezer Scrooge side character, etc.). Loved the take on the 3 Ghosts of Christmas' Past, Present, and Future occurring only because Snowfall cast a spell to get rid of Hearth's Warming Eve in Twilight's story. Pinkie was also a perfect fit as the Ghost of Christmas Present(s).

So many great little songs and performances. Great episode and probably my favorite of the season but I'm a sucker for Christmas themed stuff. Also PRINCESS LUNA SINGS!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x09 Saddle Row & Rec
Enjoyable little ep which was fun seeing the inclusion of the main group helping Rarity with her first night opening her new boutique in Manehattan. Also props to the writers for letting each character handle their own roles while teasing some stressed, crazy Rarity. Fun seeing Pinkie Pie dealing with the dance party upstairs including Angel/Devil variants of Rarity and Dash decided to hire based on a speed race.

And the writers have more fun named the newspaper article writer Buried Lede.

1159331__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+dash_pinkie+pie_fluttershy_rarity_applejack_screencap_princess+twilight_animated.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x10 Applejack's Day Off
Decent episode centered around the necessity for having people around you to give you an outsider's perspective on something you may not see about yourself. Fun seeing Applejack's workaholic nature solve the Spa pipe issues as well as Twilight's desire to follow the list to the letter while coming to the realization that Applejack's taking a lot of unnecessary steps without realizing it because she's gotten used to do it just so.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x12 Spice Up Your Life
Fun episode with Rarity/Pinkie Pie providing a unique team up to help a Father/Daughter make their restaurant into a sensation via the tastiness of their food vs. the hoity toity ideals of the most idolized food critic. Loved seeing Rarity and especially Pinkie getting pissed at Zesty and her opinion/bemoaning of the Tasty Treat due to its lack of decor and taste that even lowly normal ponies can taste.

Fiona Hogan was fun as Zesty Gourmand, the food critic.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

615 The Cart Before the Ponies
Fun little episode with the CMC wanting their own Kart ideas for the Kart Derby (including changing who'd win Most Creative, Fastest, and Traditional) but get overridden by Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash respectively in a take on the "parents take over for their kids" sports aspect. I did like that we didn't see who won those awards at the end of the race though so it further put emphasis on what was done vs. the end result.

Also the song Derby Racers was catchy as all hell and a real highlight.

1218600__safe_rarity_screencap_animated_cheerilee_bow_discovery+family+logo_helmet_cheerleader_eyeroll.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

616 28 Pranks Later
Episode was what it was with Rainbow Dash playing pranks on others without realizing their feelings/enjoyment suddenly being turned back on her when the town turn into "zombies" after Dash changes out the classic cookies being delivered around to her own concoction that would paint their tongues rainbow colors.

Writers Chris Wyatt and Kevin Burke will be helping write episode 17. Both have written episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Avengers Assemble.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

618 Dungeons & Discord
Fun nod to the classic D&D type of fan/game (in this case: Ogres and Oubliettes) with the girls taking off leaving Discord to hang out with Spike and Big Mac. Also Fluttershy won Best Face like 4x over just in the opening teaser. Bonus to her being all deceptive and snarky at Discord too (see the gif). I really love their interplay together, very fun and natural stuff.

Discord sending Spike/Big Mac into the actual game was obvious but enjoyable thanks to the great animation including "paper" trees and the villains on cards in cutout stands. Also great to see the sheer enthusiasm with Spike (especially) but even Big Mac through his facial expressions in the beginning when they were describing the game to Discord/started out playing it and at the end when the group was playing in the real world, just toned down some and even Discord was enjoying it.

1234858__safe_solo_fluttershy_screencap_cute_animated_bedroom+eyes_discovery+family+logo_shyabetes_dreamworks+face.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x20 Viva Las Pegasus
Good little episode with Applejack and Fluttershy trying to decide what the friendship problem is, with Applejack trying to find anybody else beyond the Flim/Flam bickering brothers arc that comes right out of the comic run. I enjoyed seeing Fluttershy listening to the animals while Applejack listened to the ponies and that from the animals it was revealed that Gladmane, the owner of the place, was stirring up the drama between the acts.

Also bonus points to Gladmane (voiced by Jim Byrnes) adopting some of Elvis Presley's vocal mannerisms. Also props to DHX Media continuing to push the ante including outright sweat beads trickling down on Gladmane.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

6x21 Every Little Thing She Does
Loved seeing Starlight's impressive growth with regards to magic yet her fears/nervousness involving interactions with others still making a re-appearance. It was also nice to see Starlight's fears of failure/perfectionism coming out at the end with Twilight.

Also she apparently did not learn the Willow Effect of just a little magic to help always goes wrong and never works out as you expect. As somebody introverted and also with a mind towards doing things as quickly/efficiently as possible, the entire episode hit home for me through Starlight's character.

The wide open eyes and robotic/hypnotized voices of Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash were suitably creepy yet still in character enough to not be that terrifying. Fun and amazing how utterly fail Starlight did to Twilight's castle while trying to eschew her "friendship lesson" duties. Also lol'd at Applejack quoting various pop culture in relation to the stories going into her scrapbook.