Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Boycott

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Raptors and Celtics are discussing boycotting Game 1 tomorrow night in the wake of the Jacob Blake shooting.

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the season might be over. Kyrie Irving was right. He said that the players would feel trapped and unable to do anything when something like this happened and he was right.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Proud of the Bucks and the other teams that made the same choice.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Good on Milwaukee and hope Toronto/Boston do the same.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a little skeptical of it making a difference. I know all rich people (owners) hate losing money, but this is going to gut the salary cap for next year and the players will suffer the most.

That said I do admire the players if they do boycott and even call it a season. This is a major sacrifice and really shows how great this generation of NBA players are.

EDIT - MLS teams are boycotting and Naomi Osaka is sitting out of her semi final match at the Western & Southern Open against Elise Mertens.

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sounds like they are meeting again tomorrow at 8 am. Some are speculating that it is more that the Lakers & Clippers are putting more pressure on the owners for change. I am still skeptical about what can be done this quickly, especially since boycotts put the time in the bubble even longer.

And with everything going on tonight, if I'm a coach or AD at high profile schools in the ACC/SEC/Big 12 I'm nervous or if I'm an NFL owner, this is where things may pivot. If there were NFL pre-season games this year, I bet they would be wiped out this week, but we'll see if the season starting in two weeks is close enough for NFL teams to put pressure on this.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Two MLB games were canceled due to players protest last night too. I think THAT'S a sign when most uptight league is doing something.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
NFL teams are closing down practices and discussing calls to action so this is quickly becoming more than just an 'NBA' thing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering of possibility of this going beyond sports and turning into a national strike? Most people don't have the financial status of NFL/NBA/MLB players though (which is why it's so impressive that WNBA has kind of been leading charge when it comes to issues social justice).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like tonight's games are going to be postponed and they're just discussing when to resume.

Edit- Woj is saying they'll restart by the end of this weekend and possibly as early as tomorrow.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1598552926379.png
Games are definitely postponed for the next two days.

Michael Jordan being mediator between players and owners is very funny in my mind. If he doesn't like how negotiations are going, I wonder if he's going to bring in Charles Oakley to intimidate everyone.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Owner throws a temper tantrum, threatens to cut jobs, at least one player wants out of the team.

Owner threatens to pull resources from making the team better, makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy by his talent not wanting to play for him!

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And he can't even blame it on being coached by Mike Ditka. Urlacher is just a racist bitch.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow. Pat Beverly is a dick off the court too.

I didn't even know Udonis Haslem was still with the Heat. I just assumed he left when Dwyane Wade did. He could probably ride the end of the pine for the Heat until he's 65.