Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA February 2021

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
There are games.

I probably shouldn’t even bother posting this because the dude has a clear bias against LeBron just going through some posts on his wall, but for some reason the post gained enough traction that I got linked through Facebook to an article specifically about this tweet. The hero worship that Melo has gotten the last couple seasons is really getting kinda nuts. None of those teams would have won or even made it to the Finals if you replace LeBron with Melo, except maybe the Cavs team because the East was such shit.

Staff member
Reaction score
There are games.

I probably shouldn’t even bother posting this because the dude has a clear bias against LeBron just going through some posts on his wall, but for some reason the post gained enough traction that I got linked through Facebook to an article specifically about this tweet. The hero worship that Melo has gotten the last couple seasons is really getting kinda nuts. None of those teams would have won or even made it to the Finals if you replace LeBron with Melo, except maybe the Cavs team because the East was such shit.

These kinds of people severely diminish what LeBron brings to a basketball team I guess. I don't think they understand basketball. Melo didn't deserve to be run out of the league, but at this point he's at the level of last season Kobe. Which is fine enough to be in the league but he's been playing a lot of minutes the last two seasons and hurting the Blazers when he's on the court. The Blazers have a very good team and should still be a good team with CJ on the shelf, but look at their records the last two seasons. And for some reason this guy is still getting mad praise! It's wild.

I didn't really get to appreciate the nightly version of LeBron until the last three seasons, but when this guy "coasts" he still plays pretty hard every night, he just turns his scoring button off. He does everything else at an insanely high level. Also, the year the Cavs most shit roster made the Finals, LeBron scored like 25 points in a row or some bullshit like that. I feel comfortable in stating that MJ is the only other player who could ever do that.

That being said I bet if you put prime TMac on one of those Heat teams he would have won one chip.

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That guy is right, I'm not ready for that kind of debate.....

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
These kinds of people severely diminish what LeBron brings to a basketball team I guess. I don't think they understand basketball. Melo didn't deserve to be run out of the league, but at this point he's at the level of last season Kobe. Which is fine enough to be in the league but he's been playing a lot of minutes the last two seasons and hurting the Blazers when he's on the court. The Blazers have a very good team and should still be a good team with CJ on the shelf, but look at their records the last two seasons. And for some reason this guy is still getting mad praise! It's wild.

I didn't really get to appreciate the nightly version of LeBron until the last three seasons, but when this guy "coasts" he still plays pretty hard every night, he just turns his scoring button off. He does everything else at an insanely high level. Also, the year the Cavs most shit roster made the Finals, LeBron scored like 25 points in a row or some bullshit like that. I feel comfortable in stating that MJ is the only other player who could ever do that.

That being said I bet if you put prime TMac on one of those Heat teams he would have won one chip.
Reminds me of this tweet earlier in the year where people were like "What more can you expect from Steph Curry? Nobody else on the team even averages 15 ppg" and someone replied with "Take his team to the Finals" and attached a graphic of Cavs team stats from the year LeBron took them to the finals with nobody else scoring more than 15 ppg.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Looking at those Heat teams even with LeBron, they were on the ropes against an over-the-hill Celtics team in 2012, and again against the Spurs the following year, and it really was a fluke that the Spurs didn't beat them. The Pacers also pushed them to 7 in the previous series. Not sure who else you stick in there that could have overcome those odds

Staff member
Reaction score
Reminds me of this tweet earlier in the year where people were like "What more can you expect from Steph Curry? Nobody else on the team even averages 15 ppg" and someone replied with "Take his team to the Finals" and attached a graphic of Cavs team stats from the year LeBron took them to the finals with nobody else scoring more than 15 ppg.

Yeah and all anyone is really asking of Curry is that he does what Kobe did and drag a sorry ass team to the playoffs. LeBron's standard is so fucking high that people expect/expected him to drag any kind of pile of shit to the finals. That Pistons team they beat wound up in the ECF 6 straight years.

Looking at those Heat teams even with LeBron, they were on the ropes against an over-the-hill Celtics team in 2012, and again against the Spurs the following year, and it really was a fluke that the Spurs didn't beat them. The Pacers also pushed them to 7 in the previous series. Not sure who else you stick in there that could have overcome those odds

The Heatles weren't that good on offense but a lot of people don't wanna hear that because they get star struck by names. They were a poorly constructed team that couldn't rebound (literally last in rebounding the year they beat the Spurs) and only one guy on the whole team knew how to pass. It's easy to explain why those old as shit teams were able to play grinding defensive series against them. Defensively they were pretty good though. If you put Melo on those teams, with his game, they might not even make it out the second round. They would in that situation have nobody who could pass the basketball or run point.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Crazy white lady in Atlanta was ejected while apparently screaming and swearing at Lebron tonight. Atlanta is one of the places letting people in so she probably went on behalf of her fellow Q fans. Clip I saw had her mask down. I’m sure we will be hearing more about this.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
never knew there were so many bot accounts dedicated to attacking lebron james but they're all really obvious when you scroll through the stuff about this whole thing. Twitter is such a cesspool.

Courtside Karen is getting completely lambasted. I can't believe she thought it was a good idea to put that video out. I also can't believe she's 25.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's wild (and more than a little sad) how much inexplicable hatred LeBron gets. Is it racism (probably more than little bit)? Hatred of millennials? Fact that he may be first elite level NBA player that isn't at least somewhat of a sociopath?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It’s awful and unjustified. I think some is the “heavy is the head that wears the crown” where there are so many people blindly hating him because of how good he is. I mean, wasn’t that Dama’s whole thing? He hated Lebron because he got so much focus and attention. Too many Damas in this world.

Lebron also has the disadvantage of being in the 24 hour coverage and social media era. There were a ton of people hating on Jordan for the same reasons. Kobe for a stretch too, though he had already been usurped by the Lebron by the time social media blew up to the monster it is now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
It’s awful and unjustified. I think some is the “heavy is the head that wears the crown” where there are so many people blindly hating him because of how good he is. I mean, wasn’t that Dama’s whole thing? He hated Lebron because he got so much focus and attention. Too many Damas in this world.

I think it's about 41 percent "Player X is my GOAT, in my personal record book, and I must attack anyone and everyone who is considered a threat to their greatness, but especially this guy!", and about 59 percent Dama Syndrome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If the Kobe Trial happened in the era of social media, I don't know if he would have been able to finish his career in the NBA. At the very least, there would have been a lengthier suspension.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's about 41 percent "Player X is my GOAT, in my personal record book, and I must attack anyone and everyone who is considered a threat to their greatness, but especially this guy!", and about 59 percent Dama Syndrome.
The 41 percent is otherwise known as "Skip Bayless Syndrome".

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
All the issues with COVID and injuries for the Heat continue, Meyers Leonard is done for the year as he needs shoulder surgery. Not a major piece of their team but lose some depth.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All the issues with COVID and injuries for the Heat continue, Meyers Leonard is done for the year as he needs shoulder surgery. Not a major piece of their team but lose some depth.

Meyers was basically signed in the off-season as a potential salary filler. A trading team could waive his physical, but I'm sure it would now cost the Heat a 2nd Round pick for a smart team to waive it.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LeBron has no qualms about speaking out on social issues and politics, which garnered him the "shut up and dribble" idiots.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Fred VanVleet scored 54 points tonight. A couple cool tidbits about his performance - it was the Raptors franchise record (which surprised me) and also the record for the highest single scoring game by an undrafted player. The previous record was 53 by Moses Malone.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like ABA dudes shouldn’t count as undrafted. Although I was surprised he didn’t get picked there until third round but I guess there wasn’t any precedent for high school players jumping to the NBA.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say a guy undrafted by the ABA would count as undrafted if he was able to make the move to the NBA.

I guess it is an interesting question coming off move of Negro League records being folded into MLB records. Are ABA records part of the NBA record books?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say a guy undrafted by the ABA would count as undrafted if he was able to make the move to the NBA.

I guess it is an interesting question coming off move of Negro League records being folded into MLB records. Are ABA records part of the NBA record books?
They are distinct. The NBA doesn't count ABA stats toward their records. They have NBA records and combined NBA/ABA records but the former is almost always used when citing "all-time" lists, both officially and by places like ESPN.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
If ABA doesn't count towards NBA stats/records, then every player that came over from the merger should have been eligible for Rookie of the Year. That doesn't seem to be the case

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If ABA doesn't count towards NBA stats/records, then every player that came over from the merger should have been eligible for Rookie of the Year. That doesn't seem to be the case
That's because they played in a professional league that was absorbed by the NBA. Julius Erving scored 30,000+ points in the NBA/ABA yet he does not appear in the top 10 of the NBA's official all-time scoring list because "only" 18,000 of those points were scored in the NBA:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Lucas Nogueira has retired.

For those saying “Who?”, he was the player drafted immediately after Giannis in the 2013 draft.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember when there was a Celtics-Raptors preseason game in Portland, Maine in 2014 before both teams were really any good, 2014 Raptors fans were really trying to talk themselves into Nogueira being potentially a huge prospect lol.

I can't criticize too much because in 2014, I was still trying to convince myself that "Yes. Drafting Kelly Olynyk before Giannis was not dumb. Olynyk could be the next Dirk!"